Default Fitting arbor and chuck to drill press

Hi,
    I'm having trouble fitting the arbor and chuck to a drill press. http://www.industrialtool.com.au/ben...-drive-k1720hd
    The instructions say:
    Insert arbor into spindle first. Pull feeding handle down to press arbor inward.
    Open chuck jaws completely
    Install chuck to the arbor tightly.

All very well but there is nothing in the spindle to hold the arbor and nothing in the chuck to hold it either.
    The arbor is smooth all the way up and so is the inside of the chuck. There doesn't seem to be anything like jaws or thread anywhere to hold this.
    Can anyone help as I cant work this out.
    Thanks.

chuck 001.jpg

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

What you have there Max is an arbor with a morse taper and a Jacobs taper. They are both a friction fit in the parts they go into.
    What you need to do is make sure you thoroughly clean both of the shaft tapers of any oil or any protective coatings that may have been used during transport. After cleaning the arbor, do the same inside the chuck taper and up inside the drill spindle.
    Once you have done this, put the arbor taper (the short end) inside the taper in the chuck and make sure it is a neat fit with no wobble between the two components. If they are neat, just sit the chuck on a solid surface and give the arbor a sharp tap with a soft hammer or a hammer and piece of wood so you don't create any burrs on the end.
    After you get these two components assembled, put the long taper up inside your drill spindle and while gently pushing it upward rotate it around until you feel it either go up further, or you feel it start to rotate the spindle. The tang on the end of the arbor has to fit up inside a recess in the spindle to create the drive which is what it would have done when it has gone fully up. At this point you can either pull it down a bit (about 10mm) and then quickly push it up forcefully to lock it in the taper. Ensure you don't rotate it as you pull down or push up otherwise the tang may not go back into the recess correctly. The other way of seating the arbor in the spindle is to slide it into position and give the chuck a tap from underneath with the soft hammer or hammer and wood again.
    The way these tapers work is there is enough friction between the mating parts to create a drive and also hold the parts together. The way it is stated in the manual is correct but if you haven't had experience with this sort of thing it probably won't be easy to understand.
    I hope this makes sense.
    Dallas

Thanks Treecycle,

I used a fair bit of oil to get the column to slide into the head as it was a very tight fit.
    Some of that oil has now made its way down to the spindle I think. I will use a spray degreaser if that is a good idea.
    I have a rubber headed mallet so that may be the go.

It does seem to be a bit of a worry just using friction but all the parts seem to be very finely machined. I think K&K use quite a lot of Japanese parts on these drills.

PS: I assume it's ok to oil around the spindle and arbor after it is fitted, to protect from rust?

No problem with the oil as long as it doesn't get on the belts or pulleys.
    Providing the tapers are machined accurately and clean they will not come apart and will drive without slipping. They have been used for many years in Engineering workshops.