Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Slowing down this scroll saw

Hi. I have a scroll saw which I would like to run at a much slower speed. It currently has a combined off/on&speed switch, which is labelled 500 to 1500 strokes per minute. I would like it to run at half the current minimum, or less.

Is there an easy way I can do this without messing with it too much. I know very little about electrics/electronics but enough to be confident that if I start messing with the switches or the internals it will never run again!

Is there something I can buy which will reduce the speed?

I don't mind going to Jaycar and maybe buying a few things which I can solder into a jiffy box and fitting it in line - as that doesn't require me to modify the existing machine.

any ideas, anyone.

cheers
    Arron

scrollsaw.jpgPhoto of the motor and switchgear attached.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Is it an AC or DC motor?

Quote Originally Posted by hiroller View Post
    Is it an AC or DC motor?
    On the top of the motor it says '240 - 50hz'
    that makes it Ac doesn't it?
    it's on that little sticker that you can just see on the top RHS of the motor in the photo.

Cheers
    arron

I doubt there is something you can just add to that setup.
    That speed control is probably just a beefed up dimmer switch which can just cope with the small (1/6HP) motors on scroll saws.

I don't know much about Scroll saws but 400 spm seems to be the slowest they run at?

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    I don't know much about Scroll saws but 400 spm seems to be the slowest they run at?
    I'd like it to run at about half that speed - or at least I 'd like to try it and see if it suits my needs at that speed.

so if I broaden the scope a bit and acknowledge that I may have to the tinker with the electrics, is there a chance that I might be able to replace the speed controller with something that goes a bit lower?

I should point out that I don't need the higher speeds - I think 200 to 500 spm would be the ideal range.

Cheers
    arron

Quote Originally Posted by Arron View Post
    I'd like it to run at about half that speed - or at least I 'd like to try it and see if it suits my needs at that speed.

so if I broaden the scope a bit and acknowledge that I may have to the tinker with the electrics, is there a chance that I might be able to replace the speed controller with something that goes a bit lower?
    1/3rd of normal running speed is about as low as you can go with a dimmer switch. The dimmer switch is a bit of a kludge solution to speed control really and can stress and even damage motors.

Unfortunately there is no magic black box that can be interposed into such a system.

To run stress free and get reliable speed control down at say 200 SPM you'd need to change to a DC motor and you'f need different controlling circuitry/switches,
    OR
    use a 3 phase motor with a variable speed drive.

Of course there is always a mechanical solution of inserting some pulleys and belts in between the motor and the blade.

Bethel solution are for the faint hearted and it may be cheaper to get a new scroll saw - if you can find one that does 200 SPM.

OK, I think we have reached the point where cost of solution exceeds potential benefits received.

Its a lovely little scroll saw too - so I dont want to ruin it.

Thanks for the guidance.

Cheers
    Arron

Out of curiosity, why do you feel the need to slow it down?
    A min speed of 400 is pretty common.
    Can you not achieve what you need through different blade selection?

I want the lower speed for marquetry, cutting very tight patterns in fine veneers. Basically, I want the easy, low-speed control offered by a chevalier but cant really justify making one.

For blades I use anything from 2 to 6/0 depending upon whether tight or gentle curves predominate.

cheers
    Arron

Arron, did you ever solve this problem? I posted a similar query in the scrollsaw forum and I've spent days calling and emailing electronic speed control sources with no luck so far. I'm still waiting to hear back from 2 or 3. I'll post here if I get any satisfactory answers. I'm trying to use my scroll saw for intricate inlay cutting, too, but the speed is a problem (400 - 1400 spm). Jen

I just have a gut-sense that you will be running this saw with pedal power. I understand what you are trying to do.
    I use shell, stone, metals and bone for inlay in my wood carvings.

The oldest Singer sewing machines had a wide/flat treadle that you need to drive the saw blade.
    When my Mom moved up to an electric machine, she still had to spin the flywheel to get the slow stitch speed that she wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleokitty View Post
    Arron, did you ever solve this problem? I posted a similar query in the scrollsaw forum and I've spent days calling and emailing electronic speed control sources with no luck so far. I'm still waiting to hear back from 2 or 3. I'll post here if I get any satisfactory answers. I'm trying to use my scroll saw for intricate inlay cutting, too, but the speed is a problem (400 - 1400 spm). Jen
    No, no luck.
    Nothing materialised on the electrical side, and a mechanical solution is not really possible on either of the machines I own as they direct-drive, so there is no opportunity to change pulley sizes or whatever.

sorry
    Arron
    Apologies for unnoticed autocomplete errors.

Here's a simple (?) pedal-powered saw made by Dixie Michelle. I just spent too much money on a scrollsaw and I want to use it, dammit!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry9ymXcyCEs

My father made a treadle sewing machine-powered lathe many moons ago. Mum sat there and paddled it while dad made their furniture.

I have a jeweller's saw but following hand surgery my right paw isn't functioning well enough yet to use it. That's why I bought the scrollsaw. I thought variable speed meant 0 - to top speed, not a range between 400- 1400.

Edit: Thanks, Arron. The brushless motors in the scrollsaws seem to be the stumbling block to messing around with the speed controls. I've been looking on Aliexpress to see if i can find a suitable controller but I don't understand the specs sufficiently. My electrician/neighbour is away and out of consulting range. Jen

[QUOTE=Robson Valley;1920625]I just have a gut-sense that you will be running this saw with pedal power. I understand what you are trying to do.
    I use shell, stone, metals and bone for inlay in my wood carvings.

What are you using for your work? Jen

Jen, exactly what are you cutting and how thick is it?
    Apologies for unnoticed autocomplete errors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast