Default Shed needs power Brisbane

Hi Guys I have a large 3 bay shed with no power to it, nice bit on conduit though lol.

So I need to run some tools in this shed and have been using a Extension lead from my 15amp to the shed now all has been ok but now I am heading towards another setup and will require
    a 32amp pull for a plasma cutter plus lights computer compressor.

Now if I could I would prefer 3phase out to the shed is this possible in urban qld or do the power companies have issues with stuff like that as in 3 phase.

has anyone done it recently and if so what was the cost.

Thanks Willy
    I like to move it move it, I like to move it.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Do you have 3 phase in the street? If so, there should be no cost. I had mine upgraded a few years ago now but the sparky just organised it with the power co. There is of course a cost for the cable in the house and the run to the shed. I spent $5000. but that included a new meter box, fuse box and circuit breakers, 25mm sq cable to the shed, about 24 light fittings, quite a number of power points and 3 x 3ph outlets as well as the installation of a meter in the shed for cost monitoring. I scored the meter so no cost there.

Cheers
    Bevan
    There ain't no devil, it's just god when he's drunk!!

Tom Waits

Thanks for the reply Beven no idea if I have three phase in the street or not, is there anyway of telling at all just by the naked eye?

Thanks Willy

Quote Originally Posted by WillyInBris View Post
    Thanks for the reply Beven no idea if I have three phase in the street or not, is there anyway of telling at all just by the naked eye?

Thanks Willy
    3 wires running on poles up and down the street will be a good sign. That is is you have overhead wires.

BTW Just because you have a conduit running to the shed does not necessarily mean you cant get 3Phase power down it. I had a small (20A SP max size) conduit running to my shed but I could not get a 3Phase line down to it so I had to dig a new trench and put in a bigger conduit. Even though I have 3P wiring from the house to the shed I still don't have 3P in the shed because my house doesn't have 3P. The reason for this that we are waiting on conversion from over head to below ground power and then we will do it all in one go (meter.connection box change etc)

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    3 wires running on poles up and down the street will be a good sign. That is is you have overhead wires.

BTW Just because you have a conduit running to the shed does not necessarily mean you cant get 3Phase power down it. I had a small (20A SP max size) conduit running to my shed but I could not get a 3Phase line down to it so I had to dig a new trench and put in a bigger conduit. Even though I have 3P wiring from the house to the shed I still don't have 3P in the shed because my house doesn't have 3P. The reason for this that we are waiting on conversion from over head to below ground power and then we will do it all in one go (meter.connection box change etc)
    Hi,
    It is actually 4 wires, 3phases and neutral. Sometimes there are more, 3 high tension lines, telephone and other com lines but if there are 4 wirees in a row on a cross arm that will be 3 phase and N.
    Regards
    Hugh

Enough is enough, more than enough is too much.

The poll we connect.

P6040058.jpg

I actualy have two large and probably normal diameter the other end in the shed the large one is orange in the shed.
    P6040056.jpgP6040059.jpg

Cab that needs to be upgraded I would think as well this is the one of the house nothing is in the shed..

P6040057.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by A Duke View Post
    Hi,
    It is actually 4 wires, 3phases and neutral. Sometimes there are more, 3 high tension lines, telephone and other com lines but if there are 4 wirees in a row on a cross arm that will be 3 phase and N.
    Regards
    three on the top and four underneath?
    P6040058.jpg

That meter/fuse box definitely needs an upgrade.

With mine it required a new housing to accommodate the three meters. My fuse box is under the house but I always insist on each circuit having its own combination earth leakage/ circuit breaker. That way, if something does go wrong you don't loose all power, just the circuit with the problem. A bit more expensive, larger fuse box and more expensive RCD/MCB's, but I reckon it is worth it. It only amounted to a few hundy out of $5000.

Cheers
    There ain't no devil, it's just god when he's drunk!!

Tom Waits

Thanks Enfield will wait for the local paper and see what sparkys we have around the area grrrr the part I hate.

Willy

The three wires on top are the HV, the next row down of four are the LV (3 phase and neutral) and the lot under that are the street lights.

Willy, are you still looking for a sparky? I just had my shed wired up, very happy with the work, can give you a name and number if you want

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dpm View Post
    Willy, are you still looking for a sparky? I just had my shed wired up, very happy with the work, can give you a name and number if you want

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk
    Just sent you a message.