Thread: mpaul

Default mpaul

Hi
    Can any body tell me what type of food safe finish can I use on Mexican Pine

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Most cooking oils I believe could be used. Just out of curiosity where did you get the mexican pine as I would love to get some more as I only have a small pen blank. I have used Walnut oil on a Pacific maple bowl that I turned and it came up well. The key to an oil finish it to rub it back really good. Cheers WC

Organoil certainly make a foodgrade oil. My cereal bowl, which I use everyday, was finished with one of their oils (hard burnishing oil).

Ubeaut have a range of products that are suitable too.

http://www.ubeaut.com.au/FS+.htm

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

What is it being used for?

Cooking utensils, food bowls, bread board, chopping board, bench or table tops, child's toy or something else?

Not every food safe finish is ideal or good for every situation.

One food safe finish may be fine for a bowl but not suitable for a chopping board, another may be ideal for a bench top but not for a cooking utensil, etc, etc, etc.

Knowing what the food safe finish is to be used on will narrow down the finishes quite dramatically and should get you the right one for the job.

Cheers - Neil

PS
    Quote Originally Posted by Wood Collector
    Most cooking oils I believe could be used.
    That's not quite true... Warning: Most or many cooking oils can/will go rancid and and can become toxic.
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

Default mpaul

I have made a set of goblets from Mexican pine and wish to use them for port wine what can they be coated with.

If they are turned on the lathe and can still be chucked then Shellawax or Shellawax Glow or Aussie Oil All are friction polishes and need to be burned into the timber under friction whilst the work is rotating in the lathe. The shellawaxes work well on goblets and have been used on ceremonial goblets which are used to toast with Wild Turkey Bourbon on a regular basis.

If they are unable to be re-chucked then the best thing would probably be Hard Shellac (a tough food Safe surface coating). Almost all oils and waxes will probably stain and who wants to taint good port with the taste of an oil that has lemon or camphor, or eucalyptus, etc as a part of it. Bear in mind that even crystal and glass can be stained by some of the darker coloured port if not washed properly.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers - Neil
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.