Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Contruction Time Again

Yes I thought it about time I made something in the toymaking section as I have been playing with the lathe quite a bit. And yes I will be using the lathe a little on this one.

from the Construction series so a nice simple toy for the grandson. I spent what time I could today preparing all of the wood except the turned stuff as we had the great grandson over. All I seemed to do was cut and plane to get to this stage, all pieces are now at the correct thickness and width for the parts just need to cut to length and shape as needed. I think this could be a very short build.

DSCF4958.jpg

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    Yes I thought it about time I made something in the toymaking section as I have been playing with the lathe quite a bit. And yes I will be using the lathe a little on this one.

from the Construction series so a nice simple toy for the grandson. I spent what time I could today preparing all of the wood except the turned stuff as we had the great grandson over. All I seemed to do was cut and plane to get to this stage, all pieces are now at the correct thickness and width for the parts just need to cut to length and shape as needed. I think this could be a very short build.

DSCF4958.jpg
    On the slippery slope hey Derek

Look forward to seeing the outcome

Regards

Keith

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Default Good to see a top craftsman making more toys....

DSCF4958.jpg
    G'day Derek, Good to see a top craftsman making more toys....BUT what are we building please?? Cheers, Peter

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    G'day Derek, Good to see a top craftsman making more toys....BUT what are we building please?? Cheers, Peter
    Sorry Peter I forgot to say which one in the series, it is the mobile crane

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    On the slippery slope hey Derek

Look forward to seeing the outcome

Regards

Keith
    I have been on that slope since 2009 Keith. The problem being it that I enjoy so many forms of woodwork and have such a long list of things to make.

Anyway have managed to get a little done today after having to go to the caravan to check it for the next outing, while I was there I sold another one of my pens that I turn so worth it.

When I got back the first part was to complete cutting the parts so they are all the correct length. The two uprights for the crane where then marked out for the spacer block and position for the holes that run up them,

I taped these together which saved time and only meant that I drilled 5 holes all be it deeper.
    DSCF4960.jpgIMG_20150607_122806956.jpg

Once done I glued up this assembly so it was drying while I moved onto the boom

IMG_20150607_135728971.jpg
    On to the boom arm the middle pieces are cut where needed and glued in place again left to dry just enough to allow me to glue the second outer to it this was then put into clamps to let dry fully.

IMG_20150607_142148189_HDR.jpgDSCF4961.jpg
    Not really much more done except some cutting on the upright as that had dried enough to cut to shape along with some of the smaller piece that I will need tomorrow.

I Changed the cab a little from the plans

DSCF4962.jpg DSCF4963.jpg

WOW Derek, You are flying through this crane build......it's coming together very quickly and looking good, Cheers, Peter

Derek,

Agree with Crowie - you are really getting stuck into this. Looks excellent so far. Weather must be OK to be out in the shed. How hot / cold is it over there ?

Take care

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    WOW Derek, You are flying through this crane build......it's coming together very quickly and looking good, Cheers, Peter
    Because I only have a small workshop I try to do as much preparation of the wood as I can in one go Then it is just a case of cutting to length and shaping as needed

Derek,

Agree with Crowie - you are really getting stuck into this. Looks excellent so far. Weather must be OK to be out in the shed. How hot / cold is it over there ?

Take care

Keith
    Weather today is good I am lucky in as much even in the winter I can still work in the shed as I have it heated and an air cooler for the summer months. Don't laugh but I also have carpet down on the floor, if the wife had her way and there was enough room she would put a bed in there. I think many a man has heard that before

Weather today is good I am lucky in as much even in the winter I can still work in the shed as I have it heated and an air cooler for the summer months. Don't laugh but I also have carpet down on the floor, if the wife had her way and there was enough room she would put a bed in there. I think many a man has heard that before

Carpet - WOW, you must have a great dust extraction system. I am looking at getting something soon. Does the wife clean the carpet for you ?

In the summer months - what temperature do you put the cooler on ? 20 C - Sorry Derek couldn't resist.

Crowie got me some plans for a chess set. Need a chuck on my lathe. Crowie is a good man.

Look forward to seeing more of the crane and can you send a link again to some of your photos of your woodturning. Have seen your bandsaw boxes. Fantastic stuff.

Have fun

Keith

Carpet - WOW, you must have a great dust extraction system. I am looking at getting something soon. Does the wife clean the carpet for you ?

In the summer months - what temperature do you put the cooler on ? 20 C - Sorry Derek couldn't resist.

Crowie got me some plans for a chess set. Need a chuck on my lathe. Crowie is a good man.

Look forward to seeing more of the crane and can you send a link again to some of your photos of your woodturning. Have seen your bandsaw boxes. Fantastic stuff.

Have fun

Keith
    Great news on the chest set plans

At the very bottom of all of my posts in green are three links the bottom one is my photobucket account you will need to enter each album(on the left) ie turning general woodwork etc

Did not get into the shed until this afternoon so not a lot done.

I seemed to spend most of it marking things out and drilling holes and sanding smooth. I also spent some time rounding over edges I always do this on toys that are plated with. finally I shaped the boom which I had drying over night.

DSCF4964.JPG

Now for some of the fun part and that is glueing up and seeing it slowly take shape even though I had done some dry fitting. First thing was to glue the cab in place I temporarily fitted the boom to get it into the right place. Please not my bench does get untidy sometimes

DSCF4965.JPGDSCF4966.JPGDSCF4967.jpg

Next was the upright and it's supports glued to the swivel base

DSCF4971.JPG

You will notice if you have the plans that I changed the threaded rod and nuts for dowel the next picture shows a piece on the end of the boom now glued in and will need trimming and also glued the counter balance in place

DSCF4972.JPG

Well that is all for today I may pop out later this evening and do a bit after I have been and watered the greenhouse plants.

The final picture is for Keith. Just to prove that I do have carpet in the shed

DSCF4973.jpg

Just popped out to the workshop and removed the clamps.

While I was there I fitted the boom and just pushed the swivel pivot in place for a dry run to see how it will look. I have also added a close up of the cab so you can see how I changed it

Tomorrow I will be on the wheels and the cable drums and you all know how much I hate turning
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking very good Derek, very different to the one I built last year...
    I cheated on the wheels & drum, buying them so I'm very interested in seeing your turning....
    Love the carpet on the floor but wouldn't work in my shed as the water seepage would destroy it too quickly........
    Cheers, Peter

Looks tremendous Derek.

I told Cathie about your carpet in the shed. She now wants new carpet squares in the house and says the old ones can go in the shed. At least I bought a dust extractor yesterday. Good suction. Maybe my shed can be kept a bit cleaner. You mentioned that your bench is a bit untidy. Wow, you should see mine - yours is "spick and span". Hope you enjoy the - dare I say it - Wood Turning.

Attached is photo of my new suction exhaust for your info.

Love your work Derek

Regards
    Keith

exhaust.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast