Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by pmcgee View Post
    I think that might just be an "indicative drawing" (??)

If I can move a few large boxes around, I know I have some WS medals on Simmonds saws ... I'll try to have a look.
    That would be most interesting, but how do you know they are Simonds saws? Unless they also have the names of the Indian tribes on the etch. Those I know of include:

King Philip
    Mohawk
    Osceola
    The Sioux
    Iroquois
    Pontiac
    Algonquin

At least two of those may not have had a medallion at all.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I've been wondering for a while now whether the handgrip shape on the D-8 is a function of age rather than ripsaw vs not.

There seems to be a clear difference with the #7 style, but I'm not so sure now with the D-8.

I looked at several last weekend, and it seemed to very much be "8 inside D" saws with the sunken medallion that had that type of well-shaped grip.

BTW, after 1927 all the ppi markings are in a very BIG font ... so there's another possible age indicator. (for an earlier date)

I have looked through just about all my saws ... except for maybe 80 ... and only found three WS medallions with a Simmonds connection.

Paul

That is helpful. I would be most interested in seeing the three Simonds with the WS medallions and indeed the connection.

Just on the medallion in question, I studied it a little more and there are some other clues. The type has a "serif"style of font (little feet on the letters), which seems to be less common than "sans serif".

I have not found a similar pose of the eagle and neither have I found the shield with three horizontal lines. I have only found two horizontal lines. The trouble is finding something to which I can compare it.

Warranted Superior 28inch with nib 010.jpg

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

I don't know if WS medallions weren't just mass manufactured for wide use ... I don't know enough about it.

I found
    - a Simmonds blade with probably a replaced handle,
    - (I think definite) 8A with no visible etch, and
    - a Bay State saw ... and there's another one around somewhere.

20150612_135549 (Medium).jpg 20150612_135650 (Medium).jpg 20150612_135732 (Medium).jpg

20150612_135848 (Medium).jpg 20150612_135858 (Medium).jpg 20150612_135917 (Medium).jpg 20150612_135942 (Medium).jpg

20150612_140023 (Medium).jpg 20150612_140059 (Medium).jpg 20150612_140212 (Medium).jpg

It had slipped my brain that your handle stands off, rather than being set-in.

It looks quite a bit like that rip-grip #7 on the Disstonian site, and like the #76 ... except different arrangement of bolts.
    http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/76page.html

In my mind, #7s have a notch on the lowest swoop of the grip ... but no doubt I need to look through mine *again* and see if that's always the case or not.

It's looking pretty Disston-y to me at the moment.

Cheers,
    Paul

Paul

Those examples are the closest I have seen yet to mine with picture No.6 being a similar type face, but the big difference is that they have the patent date, while my saw does not.

Most of the manufacturers supplied replacement medallions but only WS, not their brand name. The other possibility is that the medallion could have come from anywhere as a replacement.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

The patent date is for the metal 'guard'. Harvey Peace saws tend to have a similar thing.

Quote Originally Posted by pmcgee View Post
    The patent date is for the metal 'guard'. Harvey Peace saws tend to have a similar thing.
    Paul

Are you certain about the patent being for the saw guard as many Disston medallions have that patent date on them, but only from 1887 when the Glover style of sawnut came into being? In fact I thought the patent referred to the sawnut patent.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

You are correct ... I was just assuming. ===>>> http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?id=7397

I guess that dates it to 'X' number of years after 1887. Not sure at what stage they don't advertise the patent any more.

Paul.

Notice it gives manufacturers as Disston AND Atkins AND Simmonds. They would have made quite a few of those nuts in total !!

Paul

I remembered that I had a "hardware" Simonds and dug it out. This saw looks like the Bay State No.25 to me, but with the hardware company's etch and "Manufactured by Simonds Mfg Co" as the only link to Simonds.

Simonds hardware 004.jpgSimonds hardware 001.jpgSimonds hardware 002.jpgSimonds hardware 003.jpg

The type face and shield on the eagle match, but the pose of the wings and the eagle's head are different and no patent date.

Hard to comment on the ppi stamp despite being the same pitch as the "monster." I am still leaning towards Simonds rather than Disston for the moment, at least partially because I wouldn't mind keeping the monster.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12