Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Sources of steel sheet offcuts

Got a guy wanting me to reverse engineer and cut some fancy brackets with my CNC plasma. Now all I need is a bit of 6mm steel sheet 400 x 400mm. No intentions of buying a full sheet for this little job.

Anyone know anywhere in Melbourne SE suburbs that does offcuts, or even lets you scrounge in their offcuts bin. Still willing to pay for it.

Do you guys come up against this problem very much.

Keith.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by beefy View Post
    Got a guy wanting me to reverse engineer and cut some fancy brackets with my CNC plasma. Now all I need is a bit of 6mm steel sheet 400 x 400mm. No intentions of buying a full sheet for this little job.

Anyone know anywhere in Melbourne SE suburbs that does offcuts, or even lets you scrounge in their offcuts bin. Still willing to pay for it.

Do you guys come up against this problem very much.

Keith.
    Hi Keith,
    Do you have a friendly metal merchant that you normally use? I go around to the local metal merchants, we have 3 here and on reasonably friendly terms with them, which is handy for times like this, I even picked up a piece 400 X 150 X 50 out of the scrap pin for FREE.
    Failing that look in the yellow pages for scrap merchants/recyclers and ring around.
    Kryn

Hi Kryn,

thanks for the reply.

I just generally go to Surdex and grab a whole sheet, but that's only once in a blue moon at the moment (working on changing that), so not really on friendly terms with anyone.

Looks like I'll just have to do the call around thing. It will be interesting to see what the scrap metal merchants charge, never used one before. Might also try laser cutters.

Keith.