Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Hi Sean,
    I was enjoying reading your Plasma build and it stopped three weeks ago - how is that for putting the pressure on.

If you are in a position to post an update that would be great.
    Cheers,
    Rod

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Rod, been quite busy mate we brought a caravan so had to get the car sorted and had a few weeks off one away
    But back to it this week had to order a few things and had a problem with a loose wire in a steeper motor took me what seem forever trying to work that out lol

At the moment I am trying to work out the Proma THC setup and am a bit confused I was going to follow another user on CNC zone but his posts don't seem correct, actually its just been confirmed that was lucky lol.

Anyway have put a post on another forum with some questions hoping some one can help.

What I have is two pins from the Plasma Cutter they are the (start plasma) pins.

It says the following

Type = Input pin 3&4

Normally Open 18vdc open circuit voltage at START terminals.
    Requires dry contact closure to activate.

trying to work out if I require a solenoid or not on the G540....
    I like to move it move it, I like to move it.

Hi Sean,
    Good to hear you got away with the family.
    Look forward to seeing some progress.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Hi Willy,

a "dry" contact simply means a mechanical switch, a mechanical relay contact, etc. No solid state relays, no circuit closure across pins 3 & 4 from transistors, etc. In a nutshell, "dry" is the equivalent of getting a piece of wire and bridging terminals 3 & 4. You are not adding a voltage into the mix from any external circuits. If you put a volt meter at pins 3 & 4 you should get 18 volts, that's the open circuit voltage it's talking about.

So basically your cnc controller software (Mach3, Linuxcnc, etc) outputs the TORCH ON signal. In my case I'm using the parallel port for I/O but that is not "strong" enough to drive a relay coil, so I have breakout boards plugged into my parallel ports. The breakout board then outputs the TORCH ON signal with more grunt and drives a small relay. Some breakout boards may have "output relays" built in.

You shouldn't need a big relay, it's only switching a small current in the plasma electronics circuit. I designed a circuit board to give a very fast "blip" of the plasma torch (for marking hole centres with a "plasma centre punch" mark). I used the smallest relay I could find to give speed.

So what did you end up using for the controller software. I'm designing a full plasma package/THC with Mach3, the THC will communicate with Mach3 and all parameters will be on the Mach3 screen, not on the THC. I looked at switching over to Linuxcnc, printed about 2000 pages of their manuals, etc. In the end I threw my hands up in the air, it was just so difficult finding the info on how to do with Linuxcnc, what I know how to do with Mach3. Lcnc is supposed to be very capable, steady and reliable, but the teaching info doesn't seem to be available like it is with Mach3. Thought I'd better finish what I'm working on with Mach3 before I spend 2 years trying to get deep into Lcnc.

Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by beefy View Post
    Hi Willy,

a "dry" contact simply means a mechanical switch, a mechanical relay contact, etc. No solid state relays, no circuit closure across pins 3 & 4 from transistors, etc. In a nutshell, "dry" is the equivalent of getting a piece of wire and bridging terminals 3 & 4. You are not adding a voltage into the mix from any external circuits. If you put a volt meter at pins 3 & 4 you should get 18 volts, that's the open circuit voltage it's talking about.

So basically your cnc controller software (Mach3, Linuxcnc, etc) outputs the TORCH ON signal. In my case I'm using the parallel port for I/O but that is not "strong" enough to drive a relay coil, so I have breakout boards plugged into my parallel ports. The breakout board then outputs the TORCH ON signal with more grunt and drives a small relay. Some breakout boards may have "output relays" built in.

You shouldn't need a big relay, it's only switching a small current in the plasma electronics circuit. I designed a circuit board to give a very fast "blip" of the plasma torch (for marking hole centres with a "plasma centre punch" mark). I used the smallest relay I could find to give speed.

So what did you end up using for the controller software. I'm designing a full plasma package/THC with Mach3, the THC will communicate with Mach3 and all parameters will be on the Mach3 screen, not on the THC. I looked at switching over to Linuxcnc, printed about 2000 pages of their manuals, etc. In the end I threw my hands up in the air, it was just so difficult finding the info on how to do with Linuxcnc, what I know how to do with Mach3. Lcnc is supposed to be very capable, steady and reliable, but the teaching info doesn't seem to be available like it is with Mach3. Thought I'd better finish what I'm working on with Mach3 before I spend 2 years trying to get deep into Lcnc.

Keith.
    Hi Keith thanks for chiming in well at the moment I am running mach3 until I am up and running then was going to move over and play with linux I am interested on your THC so keep me updated.

The gecko G540 can easily drive a relay so in that case I will just add it onto pin 5 and see how that works I was also thinking that maybe I could use the VFD side of things for the turn on off on the G540 (see picks) but alas not sure if it would work or how to wire it up
    I can easily follow instructions and can solder but when it gets to all the techo stuff my brain just frazzles a bit lol and i never bothered putting my VFD on it way back when it was just easier to turn it on and off.

So will just run with the relay if anyone thinks the VFD side of things would work or how to do it allowing me to cut out the relay feel free to chime in .

Just going to add in some more info pics so people can get half an idea of what I am up to.

044436525ab41da594311753627755da.png259dab9089d9a92b1d4cb70a177318f3.png

17405d4a9eef66ee2ecd3f865d2624b3.png84079b7c88677d647c0db4e8a3446f84.png

Hi Willy,

got a bit lost about what you are thinking of doing with the VFD connections.

I've had nothing to do with the G540 but just had a quick look at its manual. I see it's only got 4 inputs. For THC you need 3 straight away - THC UP, THC DOWN, ARC OK, leaving just one input for whatever else (z touch off switch, XY home switches, limit switches, estop, etc). A study of the Mach3 manual (chapter 4 I think) will help to frazzle your brain about configuring inputs and outputs with the limited number of inputs you have with one parallel port.

For the TORCH ON relay, I'd say connect to OUTPUT 1 which I'm assuming is the actual "Output 1" in Mach. That's the one usually used to fire the plasma torch.

The system I'm designing is quite a ways off at present, but to give you an idea of the inputs and outputs, this is what I'm doing. I've put a DUAL parallel port card in the PCI slot, not even using the built in port. Then I've got TWO opto-isolated breakout boards on the two parallel ports. In Mach you can configure the 2ND parallel port to use pins 2-9 as INPUTS instead of the usual outputs. That gives 5 inputs and 12 outputs on port 1, and 13 inputs and 4 outputs on port 2. Or a total of 18 inputs and 16 outputs. That puts an evil grin on my face.

See if you can find others using a G540 for plasma and ask about there inputs, etc. It seems very limiting at first glance but maybe I'm missing something. Like I say though run through the hardware chapter in the Mach manual.

Hi,

If I read you correct, you want to have the G540 VFD voltage output operate a relay?

I haven't done it but it should be possible with a relay such as this.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...170-ND/1828442

It is a 12Vdc relay with a coil current of 4.3mA and a reasonably fast switching time of 3ms.

You would also need to put a flywheel diode across the relay coil.

• Supply the VFD+ and VFDgnd with 12Vdc.
    • Connect the relay coil between VFDout and VFDgnd
    • Connect the freewheel diode between VFDout and VFDgnd with the diode Anode connected to VFDgnd and the Cathode to VFDout

Then setup Mach3 so that the maximum pulley speed is 12 and the spin up/down delays are 0.
    Set the spindle speed to 12 via the S word in your Gcode. When you turn on the spindle the G540 will output 12V tuning on the relay.

I've chosen the relay as it has a very low coil current. If you just use a standard 12V automotive relay, the coil current may be too much for the G540 to supply.
    Also make sure you have a freewheel diode in place.

free-wheel-diode.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by beefy View Post
    Hi Willy,

got a bit lost about what you are thinking of doing with the VFD connections.

I've had nothing to do with the G540 but just had a quick look at its manual. I see it's only got 4 inputs. For THC you need 3 straight away - THC UP, THC DOWN, ARC OK, leaving just one input for whatever else (z touch off switch, XY home switches, limit switches, estop, etc). A study of the Mach3 manual (chapter 4 I think) will help to frazzle your brain about configuring inputs and outputs with the limited number of inputs you have with one parallel port.

For the TORCH ON relay, I'd say connect to OUTPUT 1 which I'm assuming is the actual "Output 1" in Mach. That's the one usually used to fire the plasma torch.

The system I'm designing is quite a ways off at present, but to give you an idea of the inputs and outputs, this is what I'm doing. I've put a DUAL parallel port card in the PCI slot, not even using the built in port. Then I've got TWO opto-isolated breakout boards on the two parallel ports. In Mach you can configure the 2ND parallel port to use pins 2-9 as INPUTS instead of the usual outputs. That gives 5 inputs and 12 outputs on port 1, and 13 inputs and 4 outputs on port 2. Or a total of 18 inputs and 16 outputs. That puts an evil grin on my face.

See if you can find others using a G540 for plasma and ask about there inputs, etc. It seems very limiting at first glance but maybe I'm missing something. Like I say though run through the hardware chapter in the Mach manual.
    you should change you name from beefy to inputs or maybe beefy inputs

From what I have read from some of the guys on the zone it should be just enough to get me up and going, one of the Linux guys says you can fault if for a plasma table so will just make do if
    I need more down the track will cross that bridge when i come to it.

Estop pin 10
    THC 1,2,3
    Limits and homes all on 4

Hope to have this all wired up by the end for next week if not sooner, not sure if I should hide the new lights for the caravan that turned up today from the wife.

Quote Originally Posted by phomann View Post
    Hi,

If I read you correct, you want to have the G540 VFD voltage output operate a relay?

I haven't done it but it should be possible with a relay such as this.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...170-ND/1828442

It is a 12Vdc relay with a coil current of 4.3mA and a reasonably fast switching time of 3ms.

You would also need to put a flywheel diode across the relay coil.

• Supply the VFD+ and VFDgnd with 12Vdc.
    • Connect the relay coil between VFDout and VFDgnd
    • Connect the freewheel diode between VFDout and VFDgnd with the diode Anode connected to VFDgnd and the Cathode to VFDout

Then setup Mach3 so that the maximum pulley speed is 12 and the spin up/down delays are 0.
    Set the spindle speed to 12 via the S word in your Gcode. When you turn on the spindle the G540 will output 12V tuning on the relay.

I've chosen the relay as it has a very low coil current. If you just use a standard 12V automotive relay, the coil current may be too much for the G540 to supply.
    Also make sure you have a freewheel diode in place.

free-wheel-diode.jpg

Cheers,

Peter
    Thanks peter it was what I was thinking but wasn't sure if it was possible something I will keep up my sleeve.

Oh I must ask Keith you made one yet

IMAG0839.jpg

Ha ha,

it was on my mind some time ago to be one of the next projects I'll do, then I started working on the aforementioned Mach3 plasma/THC system and it's consuming me. Not the type of thing you can do a bit here and there. Endless discussions with my plasma guru, studying of Cypress Basic, Modbus, Mach brains, electronics.

But I did play and get all the fireplace parts nested in cad LOL.

I haven't actively tried to get any plasma work yet but I did three jobs because of requests. A custom maple leaf screen, a custom name sign to go above someones double garage door, and a reproduction of an 8 year old girls bicycle painting (my favourite). It's quite satisfying doing this type of stuff, knowing that your work is on display somewhere.

Keith.

I have been following this thread, re: the circle cut out have you tried doing a lead in/out cut at the start finish (centre piece)it may solve the problem.

Col

Well guys thought I would make a bit of an update need to keep Rod interested , so this week has been a week of procrastination lol more work on the Caravan then then what i should have really been doing i cleaned up a bit worked on the caravan looked for a place to go away in a few weeks did some work on the house and did my best to avoid the THC wire up for some reason it just wasn't hitting home how to do it and I was fearing that I would blow the crap out either the G540 or the voltage divider.

Well I can say that after some initial confusion as its not really that well documented how to set it up and maybe I was just over thinking it probably didn't help that a certain thread on the Zone led me astray glad I worked it out though anyway I think today I have got it put away .

So tomorrow those pesky limit switches, then I can look into sorting out the air side of things will update with some pics maybe a video will be easier as well over the weekend hopefully some limited cutting tests by the end of next week making some small parts for the table.

Then the water table...................

Ok guys so everything is humming along I am now just tiding up whilst I wait of some stuff for the air side of things.

I have wires hanging everywhere bloody looked like some from the matrix lol so I sorted out most of the the wiring on the Z/Y axis's to a point that I am reasonably happy tomorrow will be much the same
    I decided to put it through cable chain just makes it look better and keeps you from grinding up wires in the R&P .

Just a pick for those interested.

z-axis.jpg

Oh and yes I think I have mach3 sorted now will do a video of it moving around in the next week.

Cant wait to burn something.

Well here i was thinking Saturday for the christening still sorting out wires etc and this bloody idiot connect the wires backwards thus I have blown the bloody fuse on the G540 .

So I called Peter Homann to my embarrassment and owned up and a couple of fuses are now on the way.

But stay tuned people wont be long and I will burning something......probably late next week.

Just wondered how it is going WillyInBris?

I have finally made a start on my table. Got the Z and X carriage just about done.

Very keen to hear how you are getting on with the Proma and Linux. I will be going Mach3 as I am accustomed to it. Proma should be OK with it.

Pondering things like, whether to go water table or down draft or neither. Mine is definitely only hobby.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast