Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I had the opportunity to see this at the AWTEX exhibition. It is an absolutely stunning piece and worthy of the highest award.
    Congratulations Jim. I only wish I had the skill and patience to make such a piece.

Bob

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by powderpost View Post
    This was my entry in AWTEX this year. The photos are not mine. They are all the same bowl even though the colours are different, the photo in the centre is close to the true colours.

Jim

Attachment 350333Attachment 350334Attachment 350335
    Thanks for putting up the pictures. I was most interested to see a side view (middle pic) and find it a bit surprising that the middle pic is also closest to the true colours.
    I hope you don't mind a few questions about it? if not, then....
    What would you call it? , eg Bowl etc.
    What is the rough diameter?(I'm guessing about 300mm), timbers used, glue,finish, etc.
    How long did it take to make it?.
    Gotta say you have nailed it with the joinery on the top half, it creates all sorts of optical illusions when you look at it. Bit like an "Escher" drawing....but in wood. Well done.

QUOTE=mick61;187396]Here are my non winning entry`s[/QUOTE]

Hi mick,
    It doesn, t matter It didn, t win , the point is you had a go !
    Looks good and thanks for showing

Quote Originally Posted by powderpost View Post
    This was my entry in AWTEX this year. The photos are not mine. They are all the same bowl even though the colours are different, the photo in the centre is close to
    Attachment 350333Attachment 350334Attachment 350335
    Hi jim,
    Looks great mate, well deserved first prize !
    A lot of work i would imaging has gone in to that !
    Cheers smiife

Quote Originally Posted by artful bodger View Post
    I hope you don't mind a few questions about it? if not, then....
    What would you call it? , eg Bowl etc.
    What is the rough diameter?(I'm guessing about 300mm), timbers used, glue,finish, etc.
    How long did it take to make it?.
    NO I don't mind questions at all..
    I call it a hollow form and it is 210mm diameter and about 140mm high. Timbers are, black bean, silver ash, and yellow walnut. I used Selleys "Tradesmans Choice". It is a cross linked, polyaliphatic pva, similar to aquadhere, but the exterior type. It is water resistant and sets harder making it ok for sanding. Finish was several hand rubbed coats of a sanding sealer followed with four sprayed coats of lacquer. Each coat was rubbed back progressively, with wet & dry paper from 400# up to 1200# then buffed with a mop. The wet & dry paper was used wet with a gentle rub on a cake of soap during use. It took me about four weeks to complete.

Actually I made four of them. After each one was finished, a flaw became obvious to me. This one is good but there is still room for improvement. The piece that finally went to Melbourne was in fact No. three.

These are photos I took before it went to Melbourne. They took some finding on my computer.

Jim

Awtex151S.jpgAwtex152S.jpgAwtex153S.jpg
    Sometimes in the daily challenges that life gives us, we miss what is really important...

Default Awtex

Now that the exhibition for this year is over, the committee is having a 4 week break from affairs.
    The webmaster has gone on a well earned break overseas, but promised to continue to update either the web site or the Facebook page as appropriate.
    The committee will be meeting in August for a post-critique of this years exhibition, and as such, any comments would be greatly appreciated. Please post any constructive criticisms to [email protected], and be assured that suggestions will all be reviewed.
    I extend my thanks to all exhibitors, attendees and volunteers, and can advise that both exhibit and attendee numbers were up on last year, which is encouraging for the future of the exhibition.

Looking forward to next year's exhibition, planning for which starts in earnest in September.
    Any local volunteers willing to contribute, need only ask )

Soren

Mobyturns is offline In An Instant Your Life Can Change Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee View Post
    A lot of those posts were because of uncertainty regarding the rule changes which were necessary because of the judging errors of last year and also the cost of interstate transport of entries. All valid points requiring attention.
    Well done guys.

Peter.
    Cost of postage & survival of delicate items in the post is an issue for me. The Mashraybiah panel I took to Turnfest suffered minor damage on the flight so would have no hope with Aussie Post as a general parcel on the road for several days. Unfortunately we all have to make choices & in my camp we had slightly higher priorities with expenditure this year so AWTEX entries became a much lower priority. In my specific case I was ignorant of the new rule changes which would have made some of my entries controversial like my Mashraybiah panel shown at Turnfest, even if I reconfigured it with different timbers?? Next year looks good though.
    Mobyturns

In An Instant Your Life CanChange Forever

Thanks soren, look forward to 2016 AWTEX..
    Cheers smiife

Powderpost,

These are photos I took before it went to Melbourne. They took some finding on my computer.

Jim
    Have you tried Picasa (https://picasa.google.com/)? I'm a retired commercial photographer who is still a digital photo nut. I have thousands of photos in my computer and use Picasa to keep track and adjust them. I am quite pleased how it works and it has enough adjusting capabilities so that I don't have to buy any version of Photoshop.
    So much timber, so little time.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul39 View Post
    Powderpost, Have you tried Picasa (https://picasa.google.com/)? I'm a retired commercial photographer who is still a digital photo nut. I have thousands of photos in my computer and use Picasa to keep track and adjust them. I am quite pleased how it works and it has enough adjusting capabilities so that I don't have to buy any version of Photoshop.
    Paul, the difficulty is not with the computer, but my lack of computer savy and patience. I would rather be in the shed. Thanks for the comments any way, it would seem I have to alter my ways??

Jim
    Sometimes in the daily challenges that life gives us, we miss what is really important...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12