Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Boring bar set up ?

Does any one have any suggestions for what type of boring bar set, Holder and bars, to look for a 9A.
    I just have the lantern post tool holder ATM
    Ive been seeing a few old style half cup set up with imperial holes for bars on US ebay, new imperial bars here that Ive seen here at H&F seem a bit small, for some of them , that's if the sizes match the few that are available at all , I think the thickest was 3/8 for HSS.
    Am I explaining the half cup thing enough or should I put up a picture?

The carbide ones look like I need a different tool post as well, Its looking costly if I have to do the quick change set up, if that's what I need to run these .Im assuming the long bar surrounded by a square length with the slit fits into a quick change set up ? not sure though.
    How did you solve this problem ?

Rob

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

If you intend only using the lantern type post you will have to use the lock type bar,this has an rectangular section that passes through the lantern,it has a split round section attached to it with a locking bolt that you move your boring bar through and then lock when at the correct length,this normally accepts a 1/2" bar.

You could make other holders similar to this with the round section at different diameters to suit larger sizes.

You could also look for a multi fit boring bar holder that Southbend have for there lathes,I think they take bares from 3/8" to 5/8" or it might be 1/2" to 3/4".

The other choice is to buy or make a four way post.

If you have a four jaw chuck and drill press you can make your own four way post for less than $50.00.

Quote Originally Posted by auscab View Post
    Does any one have any suggestions for what type of boring bar set, Holder and bars, to look for a 9A.
    I just have the lantern post tool holder ATM
    Ive been seeing a few old style half cup set up with imperial holes for bars on US ebay, new imperial bars here that Ive seen here at H&F seem a bit small, for some of them , that's if the sizes match the few that are available at all , I think the thickest was 3/8 for HSS.
    Am I explaining the half cup thing enough or should I put up a picture?

The carbide ones look like I need a different tool post as well, Its looking costly if I have to do the quick change set up, if that's what I need to run these .Im assuming the long bar surrounded by a square length with the slit fits into a quick change set up ? not sure though.
    How did you solve this problem ?

Rob
    Hi Rob,
    I can't see why the carbide inside a lump of square with a slot won't work on a QC set up, if it has a slot that the bar can fit into.
    Mind you a picture of your set up, would produce better results, as we would know what is available to work with.
    Kryn

Kryn,
    atm I just have the lantern post tool holder, You would know ? the first pic .
    I haven't used the lathe enough to get sick of the time it takes fiddling with changing things around when in use yet .

Pipeclay, by what your saying the second and third pic is the Lock bar type ?

And the third and fourth are the southbend multi fit type ?

These are what I was thinking of going for but matching sizes that work seems like it may take some time . I'm looking at available bars from Australia to fit what ever turns up on ebay .

The make your own idea is something I hadn't thought of .
    I did a search and landed on a thread on Practical machinist .
    That looked good then they started bagging the four way holder . One guy was saying , throw it in a lake? funny.
    Its possibly a step in the right direction away from the lantern post? but I don't know that either ?

Sticking with the make your own idea, I came across someone suggesting a single type holder, well maybe that is a go ?
    I lost the link though .
    Anyone know of any other worth while links on single or four way holders ?

I will keep looking . Thanks

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images