Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default R.M. Williams Boots

I want a pair of elastic-sided boots, and I'm seriously considering a pair of R.M. Williams Gardeners. These seem rugged enough to wear as my wood shop shoe and for working outside, but casual enough to wear to the office or to all but the nicest public places. Basically I'd like it to be my go to closed-toe shoe for pretty much everything. I'm not talking job interviews or weddings... Unless it was my wedding of course.

Anyway, model aside, I just thought I would ask the forumites what their take was on R.M. Williams elastic-sided boots in general. If you have first hand experience with the Gardeners, all the better.

On the same note... There seems to be a bit of "rah rah" about these versus Blundstones (sp?). To me, it seems like the argument against RMWs seems like a textbook case of "Those guys are wankers cause they paid $[insert numer] for [insert item]!" and not really founded in any kind of practical, observable reasoning, but by all means give me some input on that as well.

Thanks in advance,
    Luke

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Boots & All.

Hi Luke,
    When at work I could never wear Blundestones or Jenkins, but I found that
    " Oliver " had 3 sizes of the Steel Toe Cap, but nobody believed that, but it was true.
    They were very comfortable.
    Unfortunately that was over 25 years ago, but they still make them, as I have seem them at our local Sun. Market.
    Regards,
    issatree.
    Have Lathe, Wood Travel.

I have had several pairs of RMW boots over the years ago and agree they are comfy but I prefer to wear steel caps around the workplace. I've lost count how many time I reckon they have saved my feet. Last year a jockey wheel on a horse float I was fitting to a vehicle collapsed and the hitch landed on my right foot. Then at the mens shed the blokes were pushing around a 1.3 ton electric pallet lifter with flat batteries and they ran it up onto my boots. Even then my feet turned purple/green/yellow after a few days indicating significant internal things happening. Even last week a HD 12" welding clamp rattle off a bench and landed on my left foot.

I have flat feet so have orthotics fitted to 3 pairs of footwear. A pair of joggers that I sometimes walk the dogs in, a pair of loafers that are supposed to be my good shoes but basically live in my boots and often go out with them after a bit of a clean and polish. Have to admit though I'm far from what one might call stylish

I have been buying RM's for twenty years and in my opinion they are the best well made boots on the market they are also the most expensive they are well worth the extra extra expense

Don't like leather soles in the workshop and steel caps are a must!

Hi Luke

Have you looked at Mongrel boots? To date they are the most comfortable elastic sided work boot I have worn, including RMW's and other well known brands. I don't wear the steel cap version though. I very rarely wear shoes anymore, it's either Mongrel boots or thongs. On the grain farm where I have been working everybody wears them, including some dyed in the wool RMW converts.

Don't get me wrong, RMW make a good boot but I think you are paying a lot extra for the RMW name whereas the Mongrels are very good value for money. And they are made in Australia to boot.

Regards
    Twosheds

PS I slapped a bit of brown shoe polish on my Mongrels and wore them to my last job interview. Must have been OK cause I got the job.

Have a look at the Tredlite range, best boots I have worn, and I reckon I have most brands.

Thanks for the info, folks. I will definitely look into the suggestions!

I have a pair of RMs that are worn out. Would love to buy another pair but I just that I can't justify the expense when I would rarely wear them these days. For around the workshop I wear Blunnies mostly, but I also have a pair of redbacks that are good as well. I'd never wear RMs in the workshop because I'm pretty hard on boots and I would hate to ruin RMs with hard use at the price they are. I find Blunnies endlessly comfortable and I pretty much live in them on weekends.
    Bob C.

Never give up.

I'll second the vote for mongrel boots. Had them for a couple of years now and can't say anything bad about them. Aussie made (unlike blundstones) and comfortable. Don't think I'd go dancing in them tho. That's what my RM's are for.

Have a look at Steel Blue as well, not cheap but super comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by elanjacobs View Post
    Have a look at Steel Blue as well, not cheap but super comfortable.
    Yes, I second this. I used to walk about 10km a shift on concrete floors and the Steel Blues were the most comfortable I found. I worked in and around materials handling, fork lifts, pallet jacks etc for 25 years wearing steel caps and never used the protection once, not even close.
    CHRIS

Best boot for me is South Australian company, south Australian made. Rossi Boots quality without RM price
    I would love to grow my own food, but I can not find bacon seeds

Default Mongrel Boots

Vote #3 for Mongrel boots, super comfortable, generous steel toes, and have lace adjustment with side zip up, ( quite durable), so you get the support of laces, with the convenience of quick zip.

Not so flash for the RMW's for social wear though.

Cheers,
    Harry

I find I can't wear R.M.. Williams boots due to the last being the wrong shape for my feet - or any other elastic sided boots that use the 'Light Horse' last - basically 19th Century riding boots - one giveaway on a lot of boots is if they have a triangular piece sewn in at the top/front of the opening - the 'Light Horse' style shoes have it & the more modern work boots don't. Takes 10-15 minutes and I am getting pins & needles in the toes due to no circulation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast