Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have exactly that problem with every new pair of boots that I buy. Too tight at the top of my foot, gives me pins and needles and makes my foot go numb. But I find that if I wear them in they are then perfect for the life of the boot. My RMs had that problem but once worn in are supremely comfortable, and Blunnies are the same for me. Takes about a 7-10 days of solid wear to overcome the problem, and then I get years of comfortable wear from boots.
    Bob C.

Never give up.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

You can take your RM Williams back to any store that sells them for repair.
    They will replace any part except the leather uppers.
    I've had a couple of pairs resoled.
    Much cheaper than a new pair and while expensive initially, the price works out well for 15 years of daily wear.

Luke

The first issue is to decide exactly what you want your boots for: Work or leisure?

I don't really think the two are compatible, at least not if you subject your work boots to a normal workload.

You are talking nearly $400 for the Gardeners. I think you could buy an excellent pair of work boots (with or without a steel toecap) for around $160 (Oliver for example, but by no means the only brand) and with the remaining money you can purchase a pair of dress style leather boots that will be similar, but not exactly the same, as the RM Williams boots. They will also be more like the RM dress boots and better suited to social occasions.

Now before I am accused of anti-RM prejudice, let me explain that I bought my first pair of RM dress boots about thirty years ago. They were the best boots I have ever owned, comfortable from the moment I slipped my feet into them and, in my opinion they looked good too. I got the flow on to make me look smart and I always reckoned I needed all the help I could get.

But I made the mistake of wearing them to the sale yards and they didn't like the mix of manure and ammonia. After about three years the uppers cracked and fell apart. I was already on the second sole: Not a fault of the RMs, but me.

I had been so pleased with those boots, I immediately went out and bought a new pair. Unfortunately they were not half the quality of the first pair. Something had happened in the interim.

I vowed I would never again pay that money for another pair and I am somebody who really likes the RM brand of clothing. Currently I have some dress stock boots made by a small independent manufacturer based in Tamworth and my work boots are Steel Blue (plastic toe cap that is stronger than steel and doesn't stay squashed in the event of a crushing impact), but I am going to go back to Olivers. I have had them in the past and their longevity factor seems superior to the Steel Blues (I am on my third pair).

I hope this helps you and doesn't confuse further.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Well thanks a lot to everyone. I certainly appreciate all of the feedback.

I use Olivers for work (Rigsite Geologist), so I basically get free dedicated work boots. They're great. I wear them 8 hours a day every day in the lab, and 12 hours daily when I'm in the field.

But I'm looking for something else. I want the RMs as a dress casual shoe that I can slap a bit of polish onto and wear out to dinner or just around town, but I'd also like to be able to wear them around a campfire, around the workshop, and maybe for a day of chopping wood.

To clarify, I do NOT have the intention of using them as a dedicated work boot, nor do I ever plan to use them as a "muck" boot or to deliberately wear them in a muddy setting. I guess I kind of want to treat them like I do a pair of trainers/tennis shoes (minus the athletic pursuits).

Does that help?

Again, thanks a lot, fellas.

Luke

Hi Luke,

For smart casual, RMW is a good investment.
    If you look after them they will last you years.
    Bushmiller gives good advice. Leather and wet aren't a good combination.
    He is also right about new ones not being as comfortable as old ones.
    However, I believe that is because you want to buy them on the tight side, as they will stretch to you foot. After a while they are amazing. Trying on a new tight fitting shoe after wearing a worn in pair never feels as good. I have owned a few pairs and have been through this every time.
    I think the the Craftsman is a better shoe than the Gardener for smart casual.
    You can get one with a synthetic sole which avoids the wet issue.

Bushmiller

What is the name of your Tamworth bootmaker?

Yvan

Quote Originally Posted by yvan View Post
    Bushmiller

What is the name of your Tamworth bootmaker?

Yvan
    Yvan

The label on the boots says Booteroo, but I can't find a link on the web other than an ugg boot maker. The shop was a family owned business, RM Williams style, that had gone into having boots made for them.

As I don't get down to NSW very often I can't tell you much more than that at this moment.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12