Default Loooooking, but to hot for me.

Hi all,
    I'm thinking I could use a Cordless Circular Saw.
    So went looooking, Shock, Horror.

Anything from $129 to $490, BUT, then you have also to buy either 1 or 2 Batteries, then you have to buy a Charger.

They get at you all ways, so this ends up anything form $400 - $895.

So now, I'm in the market for a 2nd.Hand Saw. If you have finished with yours, then may I buy it from you Please.
    Not really worried about the Make, but good Batteries & Charger wood be the go.
    Regards,
    issatree.
    Have Lathe, Wood Travel.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I think that the battery powered circular saws are really being sold as an accessory to an existing battery power system, such as Makita 18 volt, Ryobi One+ and such. As for pricing, I wonder if that is also a clever marketing dodge to make the big tool sets look better value - the ones in a roller bag with a couple of drills, torches, radios, jigsaws and the like. And they are really only for cutting a bit of thin ply or docking a 2x4 on a building site when its too much trouble to go out to the site saw.

So, if you already have a cordless system then you just basically get the same manufacturer's circular saw, otherwise you might want to look for the manufacturer's line of gear that most closely matches your needs - drill/driver. impact driver, circular saw, leaf blower. I've already got Makita 18 volt tools, so that's my decision made for me, Ryobi are available through the Big B and have a very large range of doodads from various batteries (1.5 to 5_ AH) through chargers from single to several at a time etc. Milwaukee come close in range of tools, but more practical if you ignore the battery powered jacket (Makita have a battery power push bike!)

I have the Hitachi 18v kit with the saw, I'm a carpenter by trade and have no problems wielding a circular saw, with the exception of the darn cordless thing. Its made for left handers, i'm sure, handy for doing roof battens but that about for me, even then on a big job i'd still rather drag the lead around or even a hand saw if necessary. So I would look at the different brands I believe some do make a right handed version.

I have a dealt 18v and find it pretty useless. Almost always grab the electric one.
    The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel.

I bought an AEG battery saw to go with my hammer drill and driver set. It's right handed

I bought AEG as I have an electric AEG drill for 35 years and it's still going strong
    I fitted a 40 tooth blade for cutting ply and it works great.

15 years ago I did all of my kitchen cupboard doors and benchtops with a Black & Decker battery saw.
    I did a great job.
    I didn't use it often enough after that so the nicads packed it in. It's gone now

Yes they have sure upped the anti on cordless power tools eh? Pay a fortune for the bare body then pay another fortune for the battery and then another fortune for the battery charger. Bring back GMC battery powered tools I say
    Experienced in removing the tree from the furniture

Here while back I spat it, my old battery drill kept going flat, I had three different battery brands, which meant carting around three chargers, my jigsaw used an allen key to change blades, and when I went to use it, it stripped.

So I went to the tool shop and handed over a couple of grand for a set of 18V milwaukee gear. I have found it brilliant. Drill, Impact Driver, Circ saw, jigsaw, Demo Saw, Metal saw and rotary hammer drill. While I am not a tradie, I seem to end up with multiple projects each year in addition to handyman stuff around home. I still have a corded saw for the heavy stuff, but the convenience of cordless is good value if you use it enough.

In the past four years the project list includes two flyover roof for caravans, three bathrooms, a full house reno, an 8x4 metal shed, a termite recovery (jack up the roof and rebuild half the house), repairs to a weatherboard place I have in Tassie (200+ metres of weatherboard).

I have it all in a big black plastic tub, and it goes to every job. It is expensive if you dont use it, but not if you use it regularly, I reckon it will outlast me.

rrich Guest

While not completely useless, I can see a use for the battery powered circular saw. The craftsman that goes out to a client's home to install things and a need to trim molding etc. I can see how the battery powered saw would be useful. I think that I would prefer a pull saw and a miter box for precision.

I have makita 18v and for a couple of months (as a fulltime tradie) used battery and habd tools almost exclusively. Even have an 18 v drop saw.

Battery is not near the power of corded particularly for cutting but it does the job

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

When I built my deck a couple of years ago I invested in an AEG drill/impact driver/radio combo and have not regretted it one iota. Last year I happened to visit the Big Green Shed and on the specials desk there was circular saw skin which I picked up for half price. Firstly, it was made for right handers! Secondly, it is powerful enough to cut through kitchen workbenches, albeit slowly. I think it runs at a slightly slower speed than a corded saw of the same size because there was no burning.

Another thing I like about AEG is that they make different sized batteries but are determined to keep their system for many years. All the other manufacturers change their battery styles so they become obsolete after a few years.

Oh; and don't forget the 3 year warranty on the batteries and 6 year warranty on the tools!

Finally, AEG are currently updating their range cosmetically. To make room for the latest updated beautiful tools (powered and cordless) the BGS is flogging off last years hideously ugly ones at around 40-50% discount. I just scored a powered ROS for $100.

I have a Bosch Blue corded and a Dewalt 18 volt cordless. Since buying the Dewalt, the Bosch corded has not had much use. That Dewalt is fantastic. Cuts through recycled old Aussie hardwood 4 x 3 etc like a knife through butter. The secret is to use good quality blades, and as soon as the blade starts getting blunt, you will sure know it. Like trying to cut through cement with a butter knife.
    Cheers
    Ric