Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
    Melbourne Outer East right next to mount dande

Default jointer problems

using a carbatec 6" long bed which is about 5 years old

lately i have been having problems planing flat edges especially on dense wood ie tassy myrtle -
    the harder stuff tends to to come off with a hump in the middle - softer material not so bad
    the more i machine it the more pronounced it becomes - i cant seem to get that bite going the full length of the board
    it will bite for about half then start tailing off resulting in two angles on the edge - the opposite of what it should do
    the last board i used on the jointer was 450 long and attempting to get a straight line on a 20 mm edge

any suggestions as to what might be causing this? - blunt cutters? beds out of alignment? improper use? wood too hard?
    about to start in on a complex job in maple where i will need to have this sorted right out

thanks to any one who can make suggestions on a remedy for this infuriating problem
    ray c
    dunno what's more fun, buyin' the tools or usin' em'

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

if it is happening over a very short length of 450mm. I would be willing to bet that the cutters are too low to the outfeed table.

the first thing i would do is to get a straight piece of timber about 10-20mm thick and mark 2 lines 3-4mm apart. lay the timber on the outfeed table with the front line (closest to cutter) on the edge of the outfeed table. rotate the head until it picks up the timber and carrys it backwards..it should carry it 3-5mm in distance so that the second line lands on the edge of the outfeed table. I reckon the cutter wont carry the timber at all, but u will be able to feel the cutter rubbing against the timber.

if your cutters r blunt, and u dont want to change them for whateva reason. take a deeper pass, atleast 1.5mm deep. a good example is when using handplane with a very blunt cutter and u try to take paper thin shavings, it just doesnt work. cutter just rides the timber.

That's a very clear and clever explanation of how to set up your jointer! )

This video gives a very simple and clear explanation of what happens if the blades are incorrectly set, and how to set them up correctly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvbfdzkPPSg

sounds like your back table is a touch to high , lower it a tiny amount and you should get a full cut along one pass , if you lower it to much you will start getting end snipe , raise it a little to stop that and you should be right .

I get the same thing happening on my buzzer , the strange thing is I have never solved is why it starts doing it . it seems to do it by itself . the rear table being a little high some how ??

Rob

Check the tables are coplanar.

What you describe can be caused by the outfieed table tilting down away from the cutter head.

Constant outfieed pressure and vibration can cause the outfieed table to move slightly or bed in. Worth checking tables with a long very straight edge. And feeler gauges to make sure they are both in line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk