Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Abc

Default Abc

I'm just watching Malcolm Turnbull on the Insiders making a lot of sense. I could vote for this bloke in another life

If you want to catch it later, it's on radio national around 11:00 am. Or on watch later TV

In the interests of balance......

TT
    Learning to make big bits of wood smaller......

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Yes, a man that makes much sense when he speaks his own mind. It's only when he espouses what he's told to espouse that he often makes a lesser impression (on me).

Consider this: In my opinion he would make a far far better PM than Abbott, and we might even see some fairness in some of the policies being bandied around atm. However, bloody Labor is doing it's absolute best to give Abbott as many free kicks as he wants but destroying themselves as a credible alternative, and I anticipate that Shorten's appearance at the Royal Commission will give out another round of free kicks.

That may inevitably mean that Labor will ultimately deny Turnbull a chance at the top job. That would be a shame as I feel that Turnbull has far less self interest in the way he would run things. The other problem the he would face is taking over a ministry that has so far been able to do pretty much as it pleases in order to stay elected, and may well rebel against doing what is right for the country. Those that come to mind are Immigration, Defence, Social Security and Treasury, and of course the worst and most biased Speaker in History as far as I can see. If ever there was an argument for an independent speaker (and not an elected member) it is now. Damn me, she even attends Party Room meetings. How can she be unbiased???
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

Quote Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post
    If ever there was an argument for an independent speaker (and not an elected member) it is now. Damn me, she even attends Party Room meetings. How can she be unbiased???
    "
    Unlike the Speaker of the House of Commons in Britain, the Speaker generally remains an active member of their party. If a party member, the Speaker will continue to attend party meetings, and at general elections will stand as a party candidate. There were two exceptions to this: the first Speaker, Frederick Holder (1901) and Peter Slipper (2010), who resigned from their respective parties upon election as Speaker, and sat as independents."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speake...epresentatives

Maybe so Fred, but that only means that anyone who is a member of a party, and still attending part room meetings cannot be unbiased by definition. The Speaker is an arbitrator (pretty much a similar role to a Moderator really) and would be better to be a Public Servant, not from any party. Probably shouldn't even be a political appointment either.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
    "
    Unlike the Speaker of the House of Commons in Britain, the Speaker generally remains an active member of their party. If a party member, the Speaker will continue to attend party meetings, and at general elections will stand as a party candidate. There were two exceptions to this: the first Speaker, Frederick Holder (1901) and Peter Slipper (2010), who resigned from their respective parties upon election as Speaker, and sat as independents."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speake...epresentatives
    Some good reading here too

This is a part of the Impartiality of the Chair
    One of the hallmarks of good Speakership is the requirement for a high degree of impartiality in the execution of the duties of the office. This important characteristic of office has been developed over the last two centuries to a point where in the House of Commons the Speaker abandons all party loyalties and is required to be impartial on all party issues both inside and outside the House. In concert with this requirement the principle has been well established that the Speaker continues in office until ceasing to be a Member of the House. According to May:
    Confidence in the impartiality of the Speaker is an indispensable condition of the successful working of procedure, and many conventions exist which have as their object not only to ensure the impartiality of the Speaker but also to ensure that his impartiality is generally recognized. He takes no part in debate either in the House or in committee. He votes only when the voices are equal, and then only in accordance with rules which preclude an expression of opinion upon the merits of a question.13

I thought Malcolm handed Barry his head in that interview.

TT

Quote Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post
    Maybe so Fred, but that only means that anyone who is a member of a party, and still attending part room meetings cannot be unbiased by definition. The Speaker is an arbitrator (pretty much a similar role to a Moderator really) and would be better to be a Public Servant, not from any party. Probably shouldn't even be a political appointment either.
    Has to be a political appointment Brett. We can't have well educated impartial public servants controlling the Parliamentary process can we?
    No political party would tolerate that.

TT

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Tenon View Post
    Has to be a political appointment Brett. We can't have well educated impartial public servants controlling the Parliamentary process can we?
    No political party would tolerate that.
    Who gives a toss what the parties think? By and large the last thing they consider is our desires and what's good for the country. It's all about staying in Govt, and even on a personal level retaining their job (and I'm thinking Alexis Tsipras here, as well as Abbott) I suspect that the change (on how the speaker was appointed) would have to come via referendum anyway.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY