Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The pound to $ is about $2.19 at the moment
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Posted by RoyG - 'She went on to say that "the recent changes that made some goods no longer eligible to ship to Australia were imposed by the US Government in relation to some trade deal".

I think another email to my Federal member is warranted.
    Les

Quote Originally Posted by RoyG View Post
    Evanism,

She went on to say that "the recent changes that made some goods no longer eligible to ship to Australia were imposed by the US Government in relation to some trade deal". The Manager didn't know any specific details about the "trade deal", as "that was something for the Corporate Legal Team to deal with". Her advice in the end was to try shopping thru the Amazon UK web site (www.amazon.co.uk), as she had checked and the items that I wanted were available ex Amazon UK for shipment to Australia. It's possible that some aspect of Australia's Free Trade Agreement with the USA may have come to bite us . Or maybe it's some sort of fall-out from the Australian Senate's recent enquiry into the taxation of big multi-nationals like Amazon, Microsoft, Google, and Apple.

RoyG
    Now that is interesting. I do know that the "free trade deal" is more of "If you want to buy from us then accept our restrictive trade practices." I also know that the recent "anti piracy" (read head in the sand lets bend over) legislation is as a result of the "free trade deal". I think in this context the US resorts to bullying to get smaller countries such as Australia to accept their conditions. Rather a friend of Australia the US behaves, in may instances more like a schoolyard bully who is only interested in our lunch money.

Default Taxing us to death. Tax. Tax. Tax.

I've given this a great deal of thought since I raised it.

Short of some grand conspiracy theory, Occam's Razor should apply.

Tax.

FTA... nope. Nobody else is doing it. It was ratified in 2006. There are zero companies out there, as resellers (for this is all Amazon is) that are restricting us. Opposite, they are GLAD to get our orders, for the USA's economy is circling a titanic black hole. Next, redirectors have no notices... nothing saying "blah blah, btw, Australia is now on the list along with Iran and North Korea".

I reckon it all has to do with the Federal Government's enquiry on Tax Minimisation and Uber Big companies exclusive and reliant use on no/zero tax jurisdictions and exotic accounting.

The laser of attention will be focused on GST collection for small parcels. Amazon has flipped itself inside out and into all 13 dimensions to avoid paying tax in the USA (ultra exotic arrangements of head office --> money processing --> fulfillment and then delivery, all in different jurisdictions probably including the moon or Antarctica)

I'd wager, heavily, that some government noodle has had a meeting with HO Amazon and said, very politely, "You will apply 10% GST on all sales to Australians and send it to us each week. You will also collect customs duty directly and remit that daily. Please." (Probably with a smile and premise of "or every parcel will be redirected via Nauru for processing. Slowly.")

Amazon have flipped the table and pulled the plug. Teach us a lesson.

Simple.

I'd also wager that we'll hear of a Overseas Big Seller GST Collection mechanism in the next few weeks. Guaranteed.

May be. But the FTD is nothing to do with FT but more to do with the playground bully getting their way.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-2...r-name/6579408

So, can we leave Festool alone now? And be happy with the tools we buy and enjoy them for what they are?

LGS

Or it could just be that some fresh-out-of-a-very-expensive-business-masters-degree-course executive has noticed that shipping heavy, bulky stuff overseas is hitting his bottom line as the transactions take a further five minutes to process, so he/she has decided not to do it any more, as this will make his quarterly numbers look better, and his/her career goals at the moment are based around "do something at Amazon that will look good on my resume so I can quickly parley that into a founder's position in some new, dynamic startup company within the next 6-12 months so that I can make a lot of money when that company goes public or gets bought out and I can go and buy a Greek island."

Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    Or it could just be that some fresh-out-of-a-very-expensive-business-masters-degree-course executive has noticed that shipping heavy, bulky stuff overseas is hitting his bottom line as the transactions take a further five minutes to process, so he/she has decided not to do it any more, as this will make his quarterly numbers look better, and his/her career goals at the moment are based around "do something at Amazon that will look good on my resume so I can quickly parley that into a founder's position in some new, dynamic startup company within the next 6-12 months so that I can make a lot of money when that company goes public or gets bought out and I can go and buy a Greek island."
    Looks like our mate might have been moved on. On a whim, for I was looking at another set of clamps, I checked.... Luck!

Goodie. Checked most other things I pushed into my wish list at the Beginning Of The End and it seems they are all now good again.....

Curiouser and curiouser.

Things are looking up again

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12