Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Mathieson Jointer

I have been gifted a 17" Mathieson jointer. From photos I have been able to find it appears as though the closed handle has been broken and replaced with an open handle. There is a crack/chip on the sole behind the mouth.

The toe is stamped with a crescent moon and a star and Mathieson and sons. The heel is stamped 2 1/8 (cutter width). The chip breaker appears to be stamped "STEEL". There is a redish decal on the top front. I think it reads Mathieson. I can't see any markings on the iron.

I don't want to use it. Probably on display somewhere.

Is there somewhere to date these planes. What do I need to do to make it "displayable", if anything.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Your handle is likely original to the plane. I have a twin of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq9n41oPAII

It needs to have that long tenon so that it has good footing in the plane body, and so that there is some area for the glue to grip.

17" with an iron somewhere around 2 1/8"-2 1/4" is one of the sizes of jacks that you see commonly. They did make a closed handle plane of the same length, but the only one I've seen has an iron 2 1/2" wide.

If you can get the wedge fitted and the iron sharp, it'll be worth more to you than any cosmetic procedures, but if you do want to do something cosmetic, you can give it a few coats of linseed or tung oil and a couple of coats of paste wax (if you're somewhere that it's humid, you can sometimes get some mold on linseed oil only finishes).

Thanks D.W.
    I also found a photo which sort of indicated that there were open handles. Wedge fits fine. The iron is quite good at the business end so should take a good edge. I did intend to sharpen, try a few shavings and then decide whether to use it or just look. I think look at this stage.