Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Fixing toilet in place

Hi. I have to mount a new toilet suite (cistern and pan) in our bathroom. I have done this a couple of times before and used sand and cement to bed them in place. The problem is that I understand this method often leads to the toilet pan breaking when being removed. I've had to remove a couple myself and one came up ok but the other had to be broken up. Now I'm a bit reluctant to do that as I dont want to have to break up a $700 toilet suite should it have to be temporarily removed or moved for some reason.

The floor is tiled, over a 50mm mortar bed and then a concrete slab. There are two bolt-holes in the bottom of the pan, which I assume is for fixing to a wooden floor ???? I am doubtful that bolting the pan to a tiled floor would be a good idea - especially as these are rock-face tiles (rough texture).

Has anyone used other methods to secure a toilet.

thanks
    Arron

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

just bed it down with silicone around the base of the toilet, thats what the plumbers used for mine. I took it off the other day and it took a bit to get it off. I just scraped the old stuff off with a knife and put it back down with fresh silicone, easy and it hasnt moved. As far as the screws go just ask at reeces or another plumbing supply or someone here will give you the item to use

:confused: Why do you have to remove the pan in the future?? :confused:

Ive never had to remove pans in renos, except to fit a new one.
    Then all ya have to do is smash the old one to remove it.

Al :confused:

Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner
    :confused: Why do you have to remove the pan in the future?? :confused:
    The pan connector seal breaks down after a while. On an "s" trap pan where the outlet goes down into the floor it's not too big a deal as all the waste still goes down the pipe, you just get some (foul) gases leaking out, which can usually be cured with some silicone. On a "p" trap pan where the waste pipe is horizontal a leaking pan connector seal will result in liquids leaking onto the floor when you flush :eek: yeeerk! You can pump as much silicone into this as you like, but it will still leak.

Use a couple of nylon anchors and a good bed of sealant to hold it in place.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938