Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Treasure or Trash?

A few months ago my BIL bought some saws at an auction on my behalf. He rang up and said "Was I interested?" Well to cut a long story short he bought 12 saws in three bundes of four and a fourth lot of miscelaneous bits and bobs including a couple of saws.

He visited last weekend and brought the saws with him. Nothing at all in the bundles: Zilch. However the luck dip bag had these amongst other stuff:

Treasure trove 001.jpg

The blade is carbon steel about 7" long and overall 10" long with a stainless steel handle. No identifying marks. Any ideas?

Then there was this little panel saw. Spotted the split nuts and nib immediately as I am a little tuned in to such things. Both sides of the saw plate were rusted and/or black, but a little bit of cleaning revealed a stamp. Roo, three crowns similar to the one Mrs Royal wears, Cast Steel and and Robert Sorby. The medallion reflects the Roo and says Trade Mark and Robert Sorby.

Treasure trove 005.jpgTreasure trove 004.jpgTreasure trove 006.jpgTreasure trove 007.jpgTreasure trove 008.jpgTreasure trove 009.jpgRobert Sorby 025.jpgRobert Sorby 024.jpg

I thought it unusual that a british based company had the Roo symbol. Was it made in Australia. I presume that this saw dates from around the WW1. Can anybody shed a little more light on this one too?

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I think the small saw may be a surgeons bone saw.
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

During this period many of Sheffield's leading businessmen had been forced to seek new markets overseas and travelled widely. This was often reflected in the name of the factory or the brand - Atlantic, Toronto, Philadelphia, Lion, Elephant were all well known names.
    In the case of Robert Sorby and Sons the factory was known as Kangaroo Works. The kangaroo itself was one of a number of registered trade marks used extensively until the 1980's. The presence of Robert Sorby in the Antipodes is further reflected by medals and diplomas of distinction awarded in both New Zealand and Australia as well as in London, Edinburgh and Calcutta.Robert Sorby left these Kangaroo Works in 1934.

From here
    http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/companyinfo.htm
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by NCArcher View Post
    I would suspect something medical or meat processing (sometimes not much of a difference!!) given the all metal construction.

The only other group that uses all metal tools is machinists and welders, and I think they're out with that saw.

Quote Originally Posted by NCArcher View Post
    Tony

That occured to me too, but I hesitated as the blade was magnetic. However, when I think about it SS knives are often magnetic, certainly with cutlery compared to forks, which mainly are not, even in the same set. I bet you blokes are out there within ten minutes checking that one!

When I complained to a surgeon a while back that I was incredibly uncomfortable after an operation, he looked incredulous and explained he had taken to me with a chainsaw and I should expect a teeny weeny little bit of discomfort. I always hoped it was stainless steel chainsaw and not the latest XP from Husqvarna or Sthil Magnum.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmiller View Post
    Tony

That occured to me too, but I hesitated as the blade was magnetic. However, when I think about it SS knives are often magnetic, certainly with cutlery compared to forks, which mainly are not, even in the same set. I bet you blokes are out there within ten minutes checking that one!

When I complained to a surgeon a while back that I was incredibly uncomfortable after an operation, he looked incredulous and explained he had taken to me with a chainsaw and I should expect a teeny weeny little bit of discomfort. I always hoped it was stainless steel chainsaw and not the latest XP from Husqvarna or Sthil Magnum.

Regards
    Paul
    If you mentioned it was SS, I missed that. It would almost certainly be surgical if SS, it could be autoclaved easily and used again and again. I can't think of any other use that would require stainless.

The all stainless saw appears to be a finger bone cutter.

http://www.orsupply.com/product/Skla...gical-Saws/944

Be careful, old habits die hard...
    Innovations are those useful things that, by dint of chance, manage to survive the stupidity and destructive tendencies inherent in human nature.

That's a 'spensive saw for what it is. I'd be willing to bet that the plate probably isn't all we expect in a saw steel, either - could be 440C tempered to 52, though, I guess.

I've tried some of the inexpensive german joinery saws (and bow saw blades) and their performance matches their low price.

Quote Originally Posted by rob streeper View Post
    The all stainless saw appears to be a finger bone cutter.

http://www.orsupply.com/product/Skla...gical-Saws/944

Be careful, old habits die hard...
    Thanks Rob.

Almost identical. Metacarpal bone saw: I don't know for the life of me why that didn't spring immediately to mind.

Now as it happens I sharpened it up soon after I discovered it lurking in the bottom of a feed bag. As it is so little it didn't take long. I gingerly tried it on a piece of good old Aussie hardwood: It was the great lump on which I test all the hand saws as I sharpen them as it gives a quick reference on how they perform. Well, I can tell you that the metacarpal bone saw wasn't too fussed about hardwood and after three strokes I knew that this was not it's forte.

I am now keen to try it on a finger. If anybody would like to step up......I can't offer any anesthetic other than a good tot of rum, but I do have a particularly flavoursome spiced rum that I add to ginger beer with a slice of lime just to enahnce the taste. However, I would quite understand if you wished to dispense with the ginger beer and the lime under the circumstances. Also I would like to reassure any volunteer who would like the unique (and once only) experience of having a digit removed, that I have been studying up and am fully conversant with the five metacarpals. This may be ten metacarpals if you have not met with an unfortunate accident on one or other hand causing it to be missing.

Thank you Rob, Tony and D.W. You may have set me onto a new hobby . I just need a two bit axe now .

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

If we thought that getting hardwoods is sometimes hard and expensive, you'll have to let us know what it costs to get skeletons and cadavers.

https://www.armstrongmedical.com/ind...ec/31/fam/2136

Maybe there's cheaper sources for the fake ones!!

Quote Originally Posted by D.W. View Post
    If we thought that getting hardwoods is sometimes hard and expensive, you'll have to let us know what it costs to get skeletons and cadavers.

https://www.armstrongmedical.com/ind...ec/31/fam/2136

Maybe there's cheaper sources for the fake ones!!
    D.W.

That's no good: They won't ship them outside the US plus I don't think you can go past a nice hot body.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

Might want to see if the Yakuza has a local group. I think they let you out, but you have to give up a finger if you leave. They probably would have use for your services (or maybe you just give up a finger if you have a severe transgression that involves a senior member).

Quote Originally Posted by D.W. View Post
    Might want to see if the Yakuza has a local group. I think they let you out, but you have to give up a finger if you leave. They probably would have use for your services (or maybe you just give up a finger if you have a severe transgression that involves a senior member).
    That rings a bell. I'm not sure about the leaving aspect. I thought it might be a little like the Hotel California. "You can check out any time you like, but you caint never leave."

However, I am familiar with the punishment by digital amputation. That has possibilities. I will check the Yellow pages.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

WE could probably help you with a double bit axe, too. Unless you meant two bit like the old timers around here meant it (two bit to refer to the value of something, junky).

There are a lot of kelly flint edge and other similar double bit axes around here for cheap, and western fellers axes for a little more than cheap.

We don't have the organized timbersports that you have in aus, but demand is picking up for older axes to some extent because white collar dreamers want to fit an axe and use it once or twice before they realize that it takes some practice to be able to strike timber accurately, and do something other than send a million small bits flying in every direction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast