Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by orraloon View Post
    ... As for the pants it is still no for me whatever the colour.
    Regards
    John
    isn't it a bit cold not to wear pants in the shed, especially at this time of the year?
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Sorry - that is too commercial for me. And hand tools is more than that - it is a philosoohy of life. Is about loving nature and wood and, paradoxically, carying less about the tools and more about wood and technique. I like this Aussie forum very much. And I personally do not feel the need for anothr one. Cheers from Canada.

C'mon guys, the Internet is not about the edification of humankind. The money is made through advertising. Silicon Valley rests on a foundation of money derived from Internet advertising and secondarily from the devices and modalities used to access the Internet.
    There are various ways that the advertising is sweetened such as by salting in information, entertainment, news and so on but at it's core the Internet is the greatest advertising tool invented since television.
    At this very second there is a bar of 'Forum Sponsors' flashing annoyingly to to the right of the dialog box into which I type this post. Nasty but necessary. I like free forum access and I like the information I get here.
    The real question for a prospective website owner is how to sell that advertising space without turning off the viewing audience. The above linked forum turns me off as it apparently does all of you but decrying it as purely commercial is hypocritical.
    All of this neat stuff wouldn't be possible without some cash to pay the electric bill and so on and advertising is therefore a necessary evil.
    Innovations are those useful things that, by dint of chance, manage to survive the stupidity and destructive tendencies inherent in human nature.

Quote Originally Posted by rob streeper View Post
    At this very second there is a bar of 'Forum Sponsors' flashing annoyingly to to the right of the dialog box into which I type this post. Nasty but necessary. I like free forum access and I like the information I get here.
    Not if you run ad-blocker software.

Interestingly add blocker software didn't seem to work on the wood&shop site - when that happens I usually avoid those sites.

I always remember Readers Digest telling me, about 35 years ago, that the only good news you get is in the adverts, every one reports the disaster for free.

Just a thought.
    ( It does not stop me using Adblock plus.)
    Hugh

Enough is enough, more than enough is too much.

C'mon guys, the Internet is not about the edification of humankind. The money is made through advertising. Silicon Valley rests on a foundation of money derived from Internet advertising and secondarily from the devices and modalities used to access the Internet.
    There are various ways that the advertising is sweetened such as by salting in information, entertainment, news and so on but at it's core the Internet is the greatest advertising tool invented since television.
    The real question for a prospective website owner is how to sell that advertising space without turning off the viewing audience. The above linked forum turns me off as it apparently does all of you but decrying it as purely commercial is hypocritical.
    All of this neat stuff wouldn't be possible without some cash to pay the electric bill and so on and advertising is therefore a necessary evil.
    I tend to agree with Rob on this one. I cast aside all thought of pants and had a bit of a rummage through the site and while bombarded with ads I never felt tempted to buy anything. I guess ads are just background to most things in this messed up world. I tend to tune out to most of them. The site is not easy to navigate and its claim to be the only hand tool site is stretching things a bit but I still found a couple of things to watch. Mind you I will watch most things about woodwork anyway. It is never going to be any threat to this one.
    Regards
    John

We can all larf about the pants - however solid shoes, close fitting warm long socks and no flapping cuffs, could be the royal navy in Nelsons time

but

the shirt - long flappy cuffs, wide loose sleeves - wouldnt like to go turning in them

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by brontehls View Post
    We can all larf about the pants - however solid shoes, close fitting warm long socks and no flapping cuffs, could be the royal navy in Nelsons time

but

the shirt - long flappy cuffs, wide loose sleeves - wouldnt like to go turning in them

Neil
    Us Amuricans likes our sepia toned farces too. If the content was enticing on the sit it would work, not yet of course but maybe later.

Check this out: http://video.pbs.org/program/woodwrights-shop/ (let me know if you can watch from Aus, if not try a proxy server?)

Goofy puppy dog acting, very low-cal content, but it's been running for ages and is quite successful.
    Innovations are those useful things that, by dint of chance, manage to survive the stupidity and destructive tendencies inherent in human nature.

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    Not if you run ad-blocker software.

Interestingly add blocker software didn't seem to work on the wood&shop site - when that happens I usually avoid those sites.
    I don't run ad-blocker software because I want to support the site, I like it and have trained myself to not look in the direction of the ads. If flashing advertisements pay for the back room to keep operating I'm all for it though, I do wonder why the Ad-Sense software thinks I'm interested in Italian clothing for ladies.

..I do wonder why the Ad-Sense software thinks I'm interested in Italian clothing for ladies.
    I agree, I very seldom woodwork in drag...

Cheers, Vann
    Gatherer of rusty planes tools...
    Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club .

Quote Originally Posted by Vann View Post
    I agree, I very seldom woodwork in drag...

Cheers, Vann
    They've heard me, now I'm getting advertisements for mediocre off-the-rack business suit's and silly hats.

Us Amuricans likes our sepia toned farces too. If the content was enticing on the sit it would work, not yet of course but maybe later.

Check this out: http://video.pbs.org/program/woodwrights-shop/ (let me know if you can watch from Aus, if not try a proxy server?)

Goofy puppy dog acting, very low-cal content, but it's been running for ages and is quite successful.
    I have never managed to get further than 30 seconds into his videos but others rave about him.
    CHRIS

Rob. We all know Saint Roy.

Wow this got more heated than i thought.

I'm comparatively young (so don't have the view "back in my day"), and don't have any professional interest in woodworking, for me its just a hobby/passion. And i am drawn to traditional & hand tool woodworking (i suppose i like the journey rather than the end result). I understand that traditional/hand tool only woodworking is not really viable for a professional/commercial environment in our materialistic, "now, now, now, cheap ,cheap, cheap" world.

I suppose that's why i am in favour and support another site that promotes the potentially declining knowledge/skill of traditional & hand tool woodworking. I wasn't planing on leaving this site, i do love the ideas, support, knowledge and locale of this forum. For me its not a one or the other.

I agree there are a lot of ads, but personally i can easily tune them out (such to the extent that i didn't even notice them when i first looked at the site, then posted about it). I was just personally encouraged that there is another outlet for Hand tools or traditional woodworking.

Cheers, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by marphlix View Post
    Wow this got more heated than i thought.

I'm comparatively young (so don't have the view "back in my day"), and don't have any professional interest in woodworking, for me its just a hobby/passion. And i am drawn to traditional & hand tool woodworking (i suppose i like the journey rather than the end result). I understand that traditional/hand tool only woodworking is not really viable for a professional/commercial environment in our materialistic, "now, now, now, cheap ,cheap, cheap" world.

I suppose that's why i am in favour and support another site that promotes the potentially declining knowledge/skill of traditional & hand tool woodworking. I wasn't planing on leaving this site, i do love the ideas, support, knowledge and locale of this forum. For me its not a one or the other.

I agree there are a lot of ads, but personally i can easily tune them out (such to the extent that i didn't even notice them when i first looked at the site, then posted about it). I was just personally encouraged that there is another outlet for Hand tools or traditional woodworking.

Cheers, Dave
    Dave,
    Hope you have not been put off by the passion of some of the replies but sometimes thats how it goes on an open discussion. Dont let it stop you posting anything you want to as we can all put our views on here. Makes the forum what it is.
    Anyhow if you want real heated try sharpening methods that usually gets things jumping .
    Some links to other hand tool things.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/PaulSellersWoodwork

https://logancabinetshoppe.wordpress.com/

http://www.theenglishwoodworker.com/

Regards
    John

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast