Thread: New to cnc

Default New to cnc

Hi,

I'm looking at getting into cnc has a hobby/add on to my current wood working practice.

As I am very new it is still all Chinese to me but I am slowly starting to understand it a lot better.

I don't won't to spend to much on the machine as it won't be used a great deal and mostly for playing around on.

I would like to buy a kit and build it (x carve/shapeoko 3/ox cnc) but am unsure what path to go down.

I would prefer an Australian company to deal with to try and keep some of the coin in the country and found a machine called the xyc carve sold by 3dtek. It appears to be a knock off of the x carve with the upgrades for a reasonable price.

I have never heard of this company before and can not find any reviews of info on the machine so am a bit wary.

Has anyone dealt with this company or machine or can anyone turn me in another direction as to what machine would be better.

I would love a large foot print (1m x1m or some where close) and will be using it for wood 99% of the time and a little aluminium, maybe.

Any help would be great full.

Thanks

Grant

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by grantoboy View Post
    It appears to be a knock off of the x carve with the upgrades for a reasonable price.
    Just to set the record straight, it's not a knock-off. The X-Carve is an open source design:
    Quote Originally Posted by https://www.inventables.com/technologies/x-carve
    The X-Carve design is open source. Share or modify it for any purpose, even commercially. Hardware innovation comes from openness.
    3DTek have done that and there is a blog post about the changes they've made here: XYZ Carve - From the open source X-Carve Design

I won't comment if it's the right machine for you, but if I was considering an X-Carve (and I am, amongst others) I would probably be getting it from 3DTek. They're local and they're sourcing parts and selling at a price considerably cheaper than buying from Inventables. I think the shipping quote I got from Inventables was around USD$400 alone, took the machine price up above the AUD$2000 mark.

I haven't heard much about the company (not that I've looked hard) but judging by the content on their site and blog, they seem to know what they're doing. I can't see how they'd be any worse than buying from the US. In both cases you're buying a kit with instructions to put it together. There are multiple user forums to help out if you don't get sufficient help from either of the suppliers (not that I'm suggesting you won't).

I'd definitely give them a go if the X-Carve suits your needs. I've seen a lot of cool things done with the earlier ShapeOko's and this is a significantly more capable machine.

Definitely read this post if you haven't already: Shapeoko VS X-Carve VS Heavy Mill - Choosing a CNC router
    Michael

XYZ-CNC A Melbourne based kit in plywood. A good well sorted machine that is fully scaleable to what ever size table you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by CSB View Post
    XYZ-CNC A Melbourne based kit in plywood. A good well sorted machine that is fully scaleable to what ever size table you wish.
    I just had a look at the xyz-cnc and it's even more expensive than an x carve imported, it also does not include a router and recommends using an ozito router to save money.

The machine looks nice but very over priced when compared to the xyz carve.

Very much leaning towards the xyz carve as it appears to do what I want (not that I have ever used a cnc before) Will do more research but am guessing I will order one late next week.

Cray thanks for your input. How soon do you think you will get yourself a cnc? Also what type of stuff do you want to do with one (seeing you are eyeing off similar machines as I am)

I've bought a few 3d printing bits and pieces from 3dtek and found then good to deal with.

I'm surprised to see they are selling the extrusions and other parts for the X-Carve, most of these are listed as not yet available from Inventables. Prices seem competitive too.
    I might price what an X-Carve would cost from 3dtek. I have some Makerslide left over from another project along with motors, belts and pulleys along with Arduinos from 3d printer builds so it should work out quite cheaply.
    Yet another project...

Quick update.

I pulled the trigger and bought a XYZ Carve from 3dtek. Ordered it Monday and it arrived the next day.

Just did an audit on the parts list to ensure everything is there with all parts appearing to be.

Next step is to build it.

In regards to service from 3dtek, I can only highly recommend them, Ben is easy to deal with via phone and email and has already helped me with minor questions that I had with the machine.

Once built I will let you all know how it went.

Cray thanks for your input. How soon do you think you will get yourself a cnc? Also what type of stuff do you want to do with one (seeing you are eyeing off similar machines as I am)
    Not any time soon unfortunately, still surveying my options. I have a few ideas for products I'd like to make and sell as a side business to supplement my day job. Mostly 2D stuff out of ply, but I'd also like to do some 3D work with tooling board to make replica props. Once again, maybe something I can profit from.

Ideally I'd like a machine that can take full size 1220x2400mm (4'x8') sheets, but I think the cost of entry is too high. If I can start with something smaller like the X-Carve (XYZ Carve) then maybe I can use it to fund a bigger machine.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the XYZ Carve, it looks like a solid machine. Look forward to seeing how you go with it.
    Michael

Quick update.

I pulled the trigger and bought a XYZ Carve from 3dtek. Ordered it Monday and it arrived the next day.

grantoboy,
    Any update on your xyz Carve?
    I spoke to Ben from 3dTek today and have ordered he bits I need to make one myself. I already have the Makerslidem cnc controller, power supplies etc so the cost for the remaining bits if very good. Not that I need another project...

Quote Originally Posted by snowyskiesau View Post
    grantoboy,
    Any update on your xyz Carve?
    I spoke to Ben from 3dTek today and have ordered he bits I need to make one myself. I already have the Makerslidem cnc controller, power supplies etc so the cost for the remaining bits if very good. Not that I need another project...
    Finally got my machine up and running.

Can not speak high enough of bens service and his help with the build.

I had some minor issues with the incorrect parts being supplied and the instructions not matching the build. I beleive it was due to a change in the build and his build not being updated.

Ben sent me out all missing parts via over night freight and even supplied me with a partially refund due to the mix up.

I now have all parts and am playing with the machine and boy what a worm hole.

Let me know if you need any help with it as I am unsure if Ben has published the changes yet. But I assume since you already have most the parts you shouldn't have much problem with it.

Good to hear it's all running.
    Ben very very helpful this morning with suggestions about using an 800W VFD spindle and what to do about a motor mount.
    I've got enough Makerslide to do the 1000mm version but i can always cut it down if flex is an issue. Controller will be Gecko drives.

What software are you using to drive it? I have Maxh 3 but will probably go with Linuxcnc.

What spindle are you looking at? I have the 400watt one and it is pretty good so 800 should be twice as good...

I have been playing with universal g code sender as I am using grbl to run it but have just set a raspberry pi up to control it remotely, so there is no need for a laptop or PC in with the dust and it can be logged in via any web browser and even controlled via my iPad.

I have an 800W, water cooled, 3 phase spindle on my 6040 CNC router. I was a bit concerned at the weight of 2.4kgs but Ben says that should be OK if the two X rails are joined together.
    Falling that, the Makita RTO700CX is a bit lighter and not too expensive. I'll have t make my own motor mount either way.

Default templates for cnc

A lot 3d models for cnc here
    http://artforcnc.com
    005.JPG