Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Emir no.5 jack

Default Emir no.5 jack

I bought an Emir no.5 jack from a garage for $20, I've never owned a wooden plane before and I wanted another scrub with less of a camber and I thought why not it's cheap. But the guy reckons it belonged to his grandfather since the 30's yet it looked brand new not a single mark on it except that blade needed a lot of work. The box it came in looks pretty old and I'm judging by the label only but I just don't believe the plane is really from the 30's. It looks more like it's from the 50's and cheaply made. Anyway I fixed up the sole a bit and worked on the blade but I don't know exactly where to tap on the plane's body to retract the blade to get a finer shaving as the front of plane has a horn beam for a handle. I must admit I actually enjoyed using this plane, it's light, the sole didn't lubricating and since it's wood on wood that would slightly burnish the timber but I did camber the iron so I couldn't use it as a smoother. If I get another chance to buy a wooden plane I will I think I'm getting hooked on those beauties.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

My first wood bodied plane was an Emir. New old stock and never used. Sharpened up the blade and away it went. When I heard that swish noise as it cut I was hooked on woodies. Now I have a "few" more. As for where to tap. Front end to advance and rear end to retract. You need to make a small wood mallet for plane setting or a plastic/rubber hammer will do.
    I've shown mine, where is your's
    Regards
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images

here it is
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thats better!
    As you say it does not look like it has been worked hard over many long years. You got a score there.
    Regards
    John