Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Solid beech baby cot stain - all-in-one stain & varnish?

Hi all,

I've purchased the Ikea SNIGLAR unfinished solid beech wood baby cot and change table, and I would like to apply a stain to match other wood furniture that we are setting up in the nursery for our yet-to-arrive baby.

I am a total newbie and I'm much better fixing a computer than doing any woodworking, so I really don't know the best approach. To make it easier, I was looking at applying the British Paints Satin Walnut Stain & Varnish (oil based?). I'm not sure whether this will be a good choice for a baby cot - both from an aesthetic point of view and whether this is safe for a baby cot.

I'm also unsure the best way to apply, should I use a rag and wipe off or a foam applicator? How many coats and so on?

Sorry if these are really obvious questions, any help would be fantastic.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I have used that particular product last year for window trim and my memory of it was that it was particularly thick and gluggy. Spreading it so there is a consistent thickness on anything but flat surfaces will be difficult. Where it pools or lies too thick, the stain will be darker. May not matter - for my old window frames it didnt - but I cant see you getting a high class job out of it. My first choice would be to use a separate stain - get that right first in the sense of nice even coverage - then a straight varnish. Probably 2 coats, light sand between as beech grain will stand up after the first coat. Its a very light sand - make sure you dont penetrate the first coat and rub away some of the stain.

I dont think that product is suitable for either rag or foam applicator. OK with a brush, thinned a bit. A bit of Penetrol will help it flow out evenly.

Your question about whether it is kid-safe should be directed to the maker, not to the public.

Cheers
    Arron

Separate stain and finish, one step finishes tend to hide any semblance of grain and depending on the skill of application can lead to a murky/muddy appearance.

Stains penetrate while the topcoat protects. I'm presuming that the cot has moveable sides etc and that the change table will have more than baby and soft nappies sliding over the surface, as well as, vacuum cleaners/mops/brooms banging into the legs, - any slight scratch/ding etc will be far more visible in a one step finish as well as more difficult to repair.

No affiliation, just a user but check out this forum's sponsor's products, especially the data sheets which are a wealth of information.

Default baby safe stains

Hi Dazza
    The first part of knowing whether a product is safe for kidsit to know what is in it.
    If you are after a stain, this always adds an element ofdifficulty when it comes to repairs or touch up at a later stage, whatever the productnatural or otherwise. A clear or transparent is going to be easier to repair orrejuvenate as well as highlighting the natural colour and grain of the timberyou are working with.

In saying that though, one can use a stain, you mentionedwalnut, such as the Kunos Natural oil sealer in Walnut (or dark walnut). You canuse this as an all in one product or alternatively, use the Walnut stain andthe Kunos in the clear to seal in the pigments. Either way, the Kunos is certifiedfood and toy safe....so perfectly safe for your baby if he or she happens tochew on it, as no doubt they will. The stain is also transparent so the grain will still show through.

Whatever you end up choosing, find out what ingredients are inthe product before using on a cot as many products continue to off gas (even ifyou do not smell it) for many weeks.
    Good luck with whatever you choose and hopefully the sleepless nights aren't too bad.

Livos Australia

<O</O

My first choice would be orange shellac. look here -- http://www.ubeaut.com.au/flakes.html#sf1

and I'd apply it to the cot before I assembled it.
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

Default 100 Jobs To Do

To stain your baby cot, you first need to make sure that the cot is clean. Make sure it is dry and free from any dust or dirt. Then lightly sand the cot surfaces. After this, you can apply two coats of paint. Make sure to use non-toxic paint.

I think the stains & varnishes mixed in 1 can you buy from bunnings & other large stores are really not the best - saying that I would go with Stain (I use a brush) and do a couple of coats then varnish sand roughly varnish sand lightly varnish again -