Default Restoration of a Servian Bench Drill

Hello All,

I wanted to post on a restoration project I have planned for an old Servian bench drill.

It’s a model SA 1 and it has definitely seen better days. It needs TLC, but I am sure it will come up nicely and provide years of faithful service thereafter.
    I have drawn inspiration from a few great drill restorations posted on WF in past years, including Joe’s resto of his Servian in 2011 and I think RayG and Bob’s work on old Waldowns. Thanks guys – your sterling efforts have unintentionally shamed me into pulling my drill apart. Ha. After seeing your machines resurrected the thought of having to look at my pile of rusted crap was untenable. I blame all of you on the hours I will now spend working on it.

Even before commencement I want to thank Joe. I reached out to him for some advice and insights from his earlier project. Many thanks Joe for the very useful and gracious assistance.

Cheers
    Tom
    $_57 (1).JPG$_57 (2).JPG$_57 (3).JPG$_57 (4).JPG$_57 (5).jpg$_57 (6).jpg

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

The teardown has been a little problematic. Lots of parts seized with rust, a few bolts sheered off in the metalwork. This thing is SOOO heavy to manoeuvre. I will need to replace a few missing parts and of course the wiring needs replacement.

I have started cleaning up the metalwork and am thinking about what look I want for the rejuvenated drill. Personally, I don't care much for the original Servian colour, despite my leaning to return it to its original look. Otherwise, I'm a bit partial to the Waldown blue or similar, or even something like the Dewalt yellow. As bright as it is, I can actually imagine it looking pretty good in that hazardous yellow colour.

20150722_114127.jpg20150723_141514.jpg20150801_145006.jpg20150801_154755.jpg20150801_161654.jpg20150801_181359.jpg

You have to wonder how a drill table gets so abused and drilled so often.
    CHRIS

I agree. It's not that difficult to place something underneath what you are drilling....or simply just stop drilling once you hit the table.

I'll use some metal epoxy to fill in the holes as best as I can.

looks like its cleaning up nicely. should be good when done.

Have been trying some paints. That yellow is an epoxy enamel from White Knight. Adhesion is outstanding (it's been about 2 weeks since I applied some), although I'm not overly enamoured with the scratch resistance. I'm a bit partial to the hammertone look, but I think they are really only cosmetic topcoats. It would likely not have the resilience of the epoxy enamel.

Does anyone know what they might have used on these old beasts in their day - that coating stuck like glue? Anyone else have any recommendations?

I don't know whether Servian had a brand colour they used or not. They were an importer of machinery much like Hare and Forbes are and my Servian is a hammer tone light blue colour and the drill was sourced from Sweden.
    CHRIS

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    I don't know whether Servian had a brand colour they used or not. They were an importer of machinery much like Hare and Forbes are and my Servian is a hammer tone light blue colour and the drill was sourced from Sweden.
    I have always assumed Servian were no longer in business but that is not the case. They have an address and phone number in Smithfield, Sydney for what that is worth.
    CHRIS

I didn't realise they were an imortar. Always assumed I guess that they made the gear.
    …..Live a Quiet Life & Work with your Hands