Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Help with chisel set ID

Not much to go on here, but I have faith in you guys (-:

From other tools they were found with probably early to mid 1900s vintage. May well have have got to the then very remote farm by McPherson's mail order - the property is known to have used that service.

Marked in metric and imperial so if the age context is correct then probably European. Nice steel, so I'm told by a fella who says he is wise in such things (but not wise enough to tell me anything more). No maker stamped into the metal but very faint traces of red and white logo on the handles.

Last photo is the handle of a damaged chisel from the same toolbox - I'm certain this more complete logo matches the traces on the others. Diagonal writing in black and white with a red border. Slightly rounded bulge at centre where there is what appears to be a cog wheel trademark.

Any ideas? Thanks.

017.jpg
    018.jpg
    016.jpg

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post
    Not much to go on here, but I have faith in you guys (-:
    My bet would be Narex, Late last century 70's, 80's. Made in what is now the Czech Republic. But what would I know. I'm a Titan person.

Quote Originally Posted by Doggie View Post
    My bet would be Narex, Late last century 70's, 80's. Made in what is now the Czech Republic. But what would I know. I'm a Titan person.
    Thanks for the info. That would be surprising considering where they came from, but by no means impossible.

These came out of a typical farm sale box. Lots of old woodwork tools dating 1880 to 1940ish, when they hit a generation that doesn't have the make it yourself ethic. Or a farmer dead in the war. The stuff then just sits there in boxes in a shed until the current farmer finds a use for something. Such as using a 100 year old plane as a hammer.

Got to admit though that this set does seem a tad modern to fit that theory.

Cheers

Default Narex yesex

Quote Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post
    Thanks for the info. That would be surprising considering where they came from, but by no means impossible.

These came out of a typical farm sale box. Lots of old woodwork tools dating 1880 to 1940ish,
    Does this help?
    Attached Images Attached Images

And I thought Narex was a contemporary brand - Y2000 to present.

Quote Originally Posted by Doggie View Post
    Does this help?

Sure does.

No doubt that's the little fella.

You're a legend, Doggie!

I've often wondered how tools come to be where they are when 'found' by someone who recognises them, or at least that they are worth taking home & given a new lease of life. I came across a Falcon #6 at a farm dispersal sale in Canada, many years ago. It was in fair condition, but I decided I had to have it for the connection with home (cost me all of $6 & turned out to be an excellent user with minimal cleaning & tuning). I don't think Falcon had a big export thing going with Canada, so it would be interesting to know how it got to a farmstead in Ontario....

Cheers,
    IW

Here is some Narex History.
    http://www.narextools.cz/en/history
    The chisels were only branded Narex from the 70's.
    However, the chisel and logos looked the same albeit as "Richter Extra".
    Richter Extra.jpg
    There is a impressive but large scan of a 1937 catalogue here:
    http://www.narexchisels.com/Narex_Chisels/Narex_News/Entries/2012/8/24_Original_Richter_Extra_Catalogue_from_1937_%28German_Language_Edition%29_files/Richter-Extra-Catalogue.pdf

P.S. If you've ever wondered what a pre-war Pumpenschneckenbohrer looks like, here's your chance to find out!

Default How did it get there??????

Quote Originally Posted by IanW View Post
    You're a legend, Doggie!

so it would be interesting to know how it got to a farmstead in Ontario....
    I've come across this phenonena quite a few times. Titans in California and the UK for instance, posted for sale on eBay. In the case of Titans there are a number possibilities. A tiny number were exported in the early years but not to the US or the UK. Samples might have been sent to distributors there but there is no way of knowing, as anyone who was old enough to be involved would have passed on by now and the pre 1950 Tariff Commission records give no clue. A second, and more likely possibility is that an expatriate took his chisels with him when posted overseas. I had the temerity to ask the California seller why Titans are on eBay in the US and he told me "To sell them" I didn't go back.