Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Artful I have seen a number of your post it seems that you are quick to critiasiz other people's works or comments not just on this part of this forum

maybe you need to put some of your work up in here and see what it's like to be on the reserving end???

I put up work support this forum as the numbers are dropping off due to a number of reasons one of which is the negative comments from people who write them but don't post pics of there work.

I don't have time to sit take pics of everything that comes of the lathe is so one just be turning not taking my time and effort to take pics up load them for the negative that it brings by some.

To ever member who has given me a like thanks guys!
    DANGER!!!!
    I'm Dyslexic Spelling may offend!!!!!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Ok so Iv called the owner to double check sizes and see if I and get pics
    and my mistake the start size of the blank was 1700 by the time it was trimmed rounded and trued up and finished the finished sizes was 1550.

The pic is a bad pic it's hanging off the back of the table and pushed more to one side

The pic had to be cropped before it was uploaded so it was squished abit.
    DANGER!!!!

big is big ... I'm not going to quibble over 150mm. I'd be more than pleased to

1) have a blank that size
    2) have a lathe to turn it on
    3) turn it with finese you have

DaveTTC

Turning Wood Into Art

What Dave said
    Looks amazing

I can see the point being made re-sizes quoted by Dave 1700 round gives the impression he is taking circumference.
    While he is saying it does he mean 1700 dia now 1500 dia. ???

The image of the table eludes to the size being far less. I can see this as I sit at my desk which is 1500 wide 950 deep. thats 1700mm just doesn't equate.
    1700mm dia is taller than LOML.

I have owned a table like the platter is on and the chairs do give some size away unless those chairs are far wider than normal chairs the table would not be larger than 1100/1200sq if that. Even the legs steel tube 40mm to 500 mm sq is a reference.

1700mm circumference is approx 550 dia. So 1500 round around 477mm dia

That all aside Dave has achieved well from where he started .

DaveTCC no reason you can't turn a 750mm 29" is the swing outboard recommended on the Nova 3000. I have done 18" also done a face plate to 700mm. on mine.

I have just taken some measurements from the photo using Photoshop, namely

Horizontal diameter of table = 222 pixels
    Back of chair = 60 pixels
    These dimensions indicate that the table is approximately 3.7 times the width of the back of the chair. Admittedly the image is not ideal for taking measurements as it was not taken square on. The camera angle does distort the image but is unlikely to significantly distort the ratio of the width of the chair to the diameter of the platter as the 2 measurements were taken parallel to each other.

I have similar chairs and they are 450mm wide - 450 x 3.7 = 1665. Even if the chair in the background is only 400mm wide, the claimed diameter of 1550 mm is still in the right ball park. So I think the image supports his measurement of 1550 mm diameter.

It's a great piece of timber and well turned. Congratulations.

Bob

See the last to post are ansering the question why people have dropped of from posting.

The fact the people cant take it for what it is.
    Its all well and good to sit behind your computer how about stepping up?

Its the ones that sit on the side lines and pick folts with other people I fell sorry for.
    its even sadder that you have nothing better to do with your time then to sit there and look for things wrong with peoples work.
    DANGER!!!!

Only a handful of people know this, but I was the one who delivered the lathe from Melbourne to nz_carvers place that this piece was turned on, and I can definitely guarantee that this lathe is very capable of turning said platter
    Cheers

DJ

Yeah I've been in his workshop. His lathe is a tad bigger than mine [emoji6]

Dave

The Turning Cowboy

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    Yeah I've been in his workshop. His lathe is a tad bigger than mine [emoji6]

Dave

The Turning Cowboy
    That depends on which one you mean Dave haven''t you got that monster long thing 400yr old.

I do have a the or two.

Nova 3000 my main stay. Then a little Jet and occasionally the hafco

Still not sure im ready to tackle a monster blank like nzcarver has

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

Stick with it nz_carver, you have nothing to worry about. About this time last year I posted about a WIP, a RRG bowl that the class clown likened to a brake drum, and had not the best experience in this forum.

That "little one", as you describe it, is a lovely bit of work. Red Gum is beautiful timber, and the amount of it that warms houses and propels paddle steamers in Vic seems a shame. I have brought a bit of it back from the Rutherglen area, on our two trips to Victoria.

Gotta admit that I use wipe on poly on it though. There are probably better finishes to use, like your nitro, but WOP is what I have.

Cheers,
    Alister.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123