Default Not exactly a Victory, but a small win.

Some of you know that I have collected (amassed if you prefer) quite a few saws. Now inevitably some of these are no hopers and can be best used for scrapers and plates to hold your magnetic light. However there are a limited number of scrapers and the like that a person really needs.

When one of Disston's Victory saws fell into this category I decided to combine a couple of projects in one to see if I could salvage something.

The Victory saw first appeared in 1915 and was produced until the early 1950s just before Disston sold the company to HK Porter.

This saw I believe would date between 1928 and 1942. The three etches were present and although faint all are readable. The light of the evening prohibited successful photography as my skills in that department are lacking (along with quite a few other departments) so you will have to take my word for that.

The main problem was that the saw had been sharpened sufficiently often that there was no saw plate left beneath the handle. It just looked shi*house particularly coupled with a narrow toe. I decided to make a new handle from some New Guinea Rosewood. The Disston scholars amongst you will recall the original saws had handles made from Brazilian rosewood.

As it happens, the original handle looks more like walnut to me, but I can't offer an explanation to that. During WW2 the D-15 became the D-42 and D-43 and used walnut, but this saw does not have the "V" around the eagle, which I believe pre-dates WW2.

Anyhow, I made up a smaller handle. more reminiscent of a panel saw and more in keeping with the plate which I cut down to 22". Most came off the toe, but also a little off the heel where the fifth sawnut left a hole.

Disston D-15 Victory 001.jpgDisston D-15 Victory 002.jpgDisston D-15 Victory 003.jpgDisston D-15 Victory 004.jpgDisston D-15 Victory 005.jpgDisston D-15 Victory 006.jpgDisston D-15 Victory 007.jpgDisston D-15 Victory 008.jpgDisston D-15 Victory 009.jpg

There are some pix to show the relative sizes of the two handles.

As I said, it is no longer quite a Victory saw but close: A "win."

Regards
    Paul
    Last edited by Bushmiller; 3rd August 2015 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Deleted a wrong picture
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Yeah, good job Paul. That's a good effort on the carving too - it may not pass Mr McGee's sniff test, but had I not known.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmiller View Post
    Some of you know that I have collected (amassed if you prefer) quite a few saws.
    Yes, I had heard something about that.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmiller View Post
    Now inevitably some of these are no hopers and can be best used for scrapers and plates to hold your magnetic light. However there are a limited number of scrapers and the like that a person really needs.
    Well, you've taken up carving apparently, so why not take up painting as well? You know, Xmas scenes and stuff.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

Quote Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post

Well, you've taken up carving apparently, so why not take up painting as well? You know, Xmas scenes and stuff.
    You have never seen me paint! However, I am giving the house a good go. I am desperately trying to think of other uses for useless sawplates. The magnetic light you and I have can be used anywhere once you have a sawplate lying around.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

Nice job Paul.

I must say youput considerable time and effort into both your work and your posts

Looking forward to when I have time for projects again

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

Wow, very very nice. I would've never known the difference.

This is actually the first intricately carved handle I've seen from a forum user (in my limited time here). Not a lot of that going on nowadays I suppose.

Very well done.

Luke

Nice work, the carving takes it up a level!

Yep, I'm impressed by the carving, too. Particularly as I wouldn't consider NG Rosewood as one of the great carving woods - you done well! I won't embarrass you by asking how long it took....

I'm highly unlikely to ever try a wheat motif myself, partly because I don't find them particularly aesthetic (just my personal view), but at least as much because the handle woods I favour (on new saws) would challenge a Grinling Gibbons. It's enough 'carving' for me just shaping the lamb's tongues on the return of a closed handle. But if I do ever get the urge to give it a go, I'd be very pleased with myself if my first attempt turned out as convincing as yours......

Cheers,
    IW

Nicely carved. What tools did you use to do it?
    I believe that the originals were chip carved but the later saws were "carved" with a rotary tool. Alternatives are a V-gouge along the leaf or an in-channel gouge from the side of the leaf.

Nice handle - good job. The carving is not the hard part in this sort of project. Is the shapping of the handle... While the bottom toe respects the traditional style, the upper one is to straigt and linear. It doesn'7t look right - maybe too long, msybe the curvsture starting too late.... It has to be more curved. But I can understand the perils og working with the grain.

All in all a very nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by IanW View Post
    I won't embarrass you by asking how long it took....
    Ian

I would be a tad embarrassed .

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

Quote Originally Posted by hiroller View Post
    Nicely carved. What tools did you use to do it?
    I believe that the originals were chip carved but the later saws were "carved" with a rotary tool. Alternatives are a V-gouge along the leaf or an in-channel gouge from the side of the leaf.
    This is how they did it in the day:

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65...ure-cast-steel

I used a vee-gouge for the stems and something similar for the leaves as in the first seconds of the soundless video. Hence my embarrassment.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

Quote Originally Posted by rmihai View Post
    While the bottom toe respects the traditional style, the upper one is to straigt and linear. It doesn'7t look right - maybe too long, msybe the curvsture starting too late.... It has to be more curved.
    I agree. The problem is that it isn't thick enough where the horn curves into the grip: It is a mistake, but as it happens it works well enough and if I had made it thicker (as I should have) there would be insufficient room for a hand my size and the hand of the intended recipient.

As I mentioned the whole exercise was an experiment and a learning curve. My perception is that I now know I can do it and I just need to add a refinement of two in future ventures of which I probably have about twenty: Not that I have counted up you understand.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

Loved the video Paul. I was not expecting that.

I think the handle looks rather good. Obviously there are those who know their saws much better than I and can tell if thisnor that should be slightly different but id have no idea.

So long as my hand fits in the hole and it cuts it woukd seem all criteria has been met. (Probably making some enthusiast shudder lol)

Dave TTC
    Turning Wood Into Art

I missed this ... it looks very fitting.

Good job.

Paul