Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Default Drive clone - make a real backup

If you have at least one Seagate hard drive (even external) you can clone your entire drive using this free software - http://www.seagate.com/au/en/support...ds/discwizard/

You can keep the drive in a drawer and if you explode your system, just plug it in and boot off it.

It's not a "backup" in as much that you need to make a new mirror after a time... It isn't incremental.

I thought this hint would be useful if you end up disliking windows 10 and want a quick way to recover what you had before.

If you don't have a Seagate you can buy the Acronis software which is more complex and with a few more tools. For the free software to work, you only need to have a Seagate drive attached to the system.... It doesn't have to be used in the process, just the drive present.... So a mates drive borrowed overnight just to trigger the process is fine.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I'm not sure imaging your drive will work entirely as expected if you attempt to use it as a rollback mechanism. I haven't got the time or patience to try it, but there are some licensing issues going on during the upgrade which activate the existing old license for windows 10. It's possible this deactivates the license for the original version. Once upgraded, if things don't work quite right, it might be more useful to try a full clean install (rather than upgrade) which will now be allowed by the license activation servers. i haven't seen any comments on downgrading a license of a supposedly successful upgrade to windows 10 rather than using the upgrades rollback image.

There's a lot of pain coming. MS have stuck their neck out a looooooooooong way.

You can do the same if you have a WD, Western Digital drive.
    They also have a cut down version of Acronis the looks for a WD drive when it is loaded.
    http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...l.asp?swid=119

I do NOT like seagate, I much rather recommend Western Digital.

Quote Originally Posted by Evanism View Post
    If you have at least one Seagate hard drive (even external) you can clone your entire drive using this free software - http://www.seagate.com/au/en/support...ds/discwizard/

You can keep the drive in a drawer and if you explode your system, just plug it in and boot off it.

It's not a "backup" in as much that you need to make a new mirror after a time... It isn't incremental.

I thought this hint would be useful if you end up disliking windows 10 and want a quick way to recover what you had before.

If you don't have a Seagate you can buy the Acronis software which is more complex and with a few more tools. For the free software to work, you only need to have a Seagate drive attached to the system.... It doesn't have to be used in the process, just the drive present.... So a mates drive borrowed overnight just to trigger the process is fine.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

I've also tried out the Free version of this & it seems to be pretty good.

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/...p-software.htm
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Have been running W10 for a few days now. Things have felt a little slow and unresponsive, so I had a bit more poke around and found out how to turn off background apps and how to stop W10 home from updating completely automatically but also found one thing that looked like it could have been affecting me. W10 home is configured by default to act as an update server for any other pc on the internet. My uploads for the last week have been greater than my uploads for the entire prior month.

Looks like MS are using all home users like a bit torrent resource to distribute W10 updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzie View Post
    Looks like MS are using all home users like a bit torrent resource to distribute W10 updates.
    Yup.
    Cliff.

Damn I need to ramp up my learning of linux.

I'm still running win98 on one machine & goes like a train.

The machine I'm on now is XP ..... but its the virus checker that is bogging it down.

I have a win7 mini laptop that iritates me a little and a win8 machine that i find frustrating ...... its all be down hill since win 3.1 as far as im concerned in the usability stakes.

Win10 ,,, oh please I hope not.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

I guess Microsoft want you to want an entertainment device not a tool. But like most people on this forum we like oldtools that are fit for function over new thingies that glitter but don't quite handle the job at hand or try to do so many things that they don't do the primary function as well as a dedicated tool.

As far as I'm concerned everything since Windows 3 did what I wanted at the time (Windows 2 wasn't much chop), unfortunately most of my hardware has burned out before the OS died and I've picked up new OSes along the way as I've been forced to buy something new. This is the first time I've been forced to upgrade an OS just for the sake of the upgrade, I just got sick of killing off wxu every reboot to stop the nag scream.

It really is beyond me the fascination with apps. They just do something in the background in a cheesy manner that if I was really interested in it I would have a desktop version running in a different tab in my browser. This is just as true of Android and smart phones to. But as long as it works and I can control the privacy issues and bandwidth usage I'm happy try out the next generation of anything.

The fascination behind apps is from Microsoft's viewpoint - it gives them an opportunity to make money off the sales of apps developed by everyone selling them, not just the apps they have created - just like Apple makes money off all sales of apps in the iPhone store.

You can turn this OFF in Win 10.

That is covering the controls that download updates to your machine. I was talking about stopping my machine from being a server to deliver those updates to your machine.

On the advance options page of the updates control, click on the 'choose how updates are delivered' link, then choose the setting for who you feel happy to act as a server for. In my case I disabled the option to serve updates to anybody on the internet.

On the advance options page of the updates control, click on the 'choose how updates are delivered' link, then choose the setting for who you feel happy to act as a server for. In my case I disabled the option to serve updates to anybody on the internet.
    Thats what I was referring to in my previous post.

But the weblink from Glenn is interesting - thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    You can do the same if you have a WD, Western Digital drive.
    They also have a cut down version of Acronis the looks for a WD drive when it is loaded.
    http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...l.asp?swid=119

I do NOT like seagate, I much rather recommend Western Digital.
    Having just had a seagate drive die after 12 months and 6 days I tend to agree
    I will never get a seagate drive again not even one to replace this one
    and the data recovery chap says they see more seagates than anything else - he recommends WD Black
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast