Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzie View Post
I guess Microsoft want you to want an entertainment device not a tool. But like most people on this forum we like oldtools that are fit for function over new thingies that glitter but don't quite handle the job at hand or try to do so many things that they don't do the primary function as well as a dedicated tool.

As far as I'm concerned everything since Windows 3 did what I wanted at the time (Windows 2 wasn't much chop), unfortunately most of my hardware has burned out before the OS died and I've picked up new OSes along the way as I've been forced to buy something new. This is the first time I've been forced to upgrade an OS just for the sake of the upgrade, I just got sick of killing off wxu every reboot to stop the nag scream.

It really is beyond me the fascination with apps. They just do something in the background in a cheesy manner that if I was really interested in it I would have a desktop version running in a different tab in my browser. This is just as true of Android and smart phones to. But as long as it works and I can control the privacy issues and bandwidth usage I'm happy try out the next generation of anything.
The problem MS is suffering from at the moment is they are trying to make one product work on all platforms. The original Win 8 showed this was not feasible, so now they are trying a fusion of the original desktop (with start menu) but trying to roll in the app stuff as well.

From a developers perspective, I can assure you that microsoft are doing the right thing, and the majority like it. Me personally, I share the same opinion as you in some ways, but the more I use these modern app store driven architectures the more its growing on me. Being a developer, I have no choice but to learn how to use it, and once I do I actually get it. However I do understand how the standard desktop user who has been using MS OS's for the last 20 odd years may be a little confused and
annoyed by it.

When it comes to human movements, MS has been WAY ahead of the game for years. Whilst they get the way people interact with machines, the often jump the gun on the software when no really suitable hardware exists (hence early failures on tablets and phones). The younger generations are driving the changes now.

I write software for Windows, Linux and to a lesser extent Mac (and others that are not worth mentioning). Its been interesting to see the changes over the last 30 odd years since I have been using and developing on the various OS's