Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Carving hair protein is not carving wood of any texture or density. Show me some hair carvings!
    However, Mike< you do point out something that I have ranted about for years = find a system for sharpening carving tools.
    Learn it and use it as you have done for decades.

Your choices are not my choices. Just goes to prove that there are a whole bunch of different ways to the same end.
    You have your fine tool choices and the results are proof of this entire concept.

I'll start with a 16" electric chainsaw and work my way past a 7/75 Stubai adze to maybe as little as a 3F/8.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Robson Valley View Post
    Carving hair protein is not carving wood of any texture or density. Show me some hair carvings!

Seriously though RV a quick arm shave does demonstrate the fineness of an edge & that's what you are working on when you are honing.
    That is not the whole story of course - the shape & angle of the grind is the crucial thing is of course that it is variable according to steel quality , the tools' intended use & which wood species you're carving.

Well if you're going to split hairs ! - have a look at any Rhino "horn" carving to see a hair carving ! Rhino horn is actually not horn but compacted hair.
    Like you say , we all find our own way to sharpen & there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12