Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 3dtek X-Carve CNC - my new toy

Hi guys,

Well I finished building a slightly over engineered workbench during the week, just in time for my X-Carve (1m x 1m) kit to arrive from 3dtek yesterday. So once the little one goes to bed tonight I am taking over the lounge room to make a start on the assembly. Hoping to get the mechanical side of things done tonight so I can focus on the electronics tomorrow. Will make sure I post some photos and feedback on my build - I'm super excited about getting this bad boy up and running.

I better stop buying toys, I'm running out of room and work gets in the way of playing with them =)

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Look forward to hearing how the build goes. Just placed an order for one of these myself.

Sounds good you going to put up some photos
    I like to move it move it, I like to move it.

Ok guys, the build has progressed pretty well. There were a couple of minor hurdles last night, but nothing tI couldn't handle. So after a day I've pretty much got the entire mechanical side all done, and the wires all threaded with the guards in place. Tomorrow I need to make the waste board and wire up the stepper motors and then I am hoping I can give it a run. But who knows haha
    IMG_0859.jpgIMG_0861.jpgIMG_0863.jpgIMG_0864.jpgIMG_0866.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by djneli View Post
    Hi guys,

Well I finished building a slightly over engineered workbench during the week, just in time for my X-Carve (1m x 1m) kit to arrive from 3dtek yesterday. So once the little one goes to bed tonight I am taking over the lounge room to make a start on the assembly. Hoping to get the mechanical side of things done tonight so I can focus on the electronics tomorrow. Will make sure I post some photos and feedback on my build - I'm super excited about getting this bad boy up and running.

I better stop buying toys, I'm running out of room and work gets in the way of playing with them =)
    Where did you get it from? I can't find it on Google

Quote Originally Posted by Evanism View Post
    Where did you get it from? I can't find it on Google
    I purchased my kit from Ben at 3DTek in Sydney, their website is http://3dtek.xyz - they have this kit, a bigger heavier duty router and 3D printer amongst other things. I've found them really helpful from purchase through delivery. And no doubt today when I hit the wiring phase if I have any questions I'll have support there too.

Hoping to get this carving by tonight or worst case scenario tomorrow after work.

So didn't get too much done today as had to go out shopping and got a little side tracked.

At least I did get the waste board cut and drilled. 144 x 5.5 mm holes and unfortunately I had to then do 144 x 6.5 mm holes (read the drawings wrong) and then 144 x 10 mm counter sink. But I think the worst was the 144 x M5 screw insert. Luckily I had the wife give me a hand and make it light(er) work.

So tomorrow after work I need to get the mounting holes drilled and attached so I can then complete the last of the mechanical. Then I can tackle the wiring up and soldering. Maybe Wednesday finish now haha.

IMG_0868.jpgIMG_0869.jpgIMG_0872.jpgIMG_0874.jpgIMG_0875.jpgIMG_0873.jpgIMG_0876.jpgIMG_0877.jpg

Just confirmed with Ben that my order has been delayed as the cable chain is out of stock
    Should be here late in the week or early next week.

By then, you should have all the bugs sorted out and be available for construction advice

At least I did get the waste board cut and drilled. 144 x 5.5 mm holes and unfortunately I had to then do 144 x 6.5 mm holes (read the drawings wrong) and then 144 x 10 mm counter sink. But I think the worst was the 144 x M5 screw insert. Luckily I had the wife give me a hand and make it light(er) work.
    Isn't it possible to get the CNC operational enough so that it can drill out it's own waste board? Is there enough Z travel to drill all the way through the waste board when mounted? Or would you need to mount it to a temporary board and double stack?

You get where I'm going with this? Seems like exactly the type of tedious work you get a CNC for in order to avoid doing manually.
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by cray- View Post
    Isn't it possible to get the CNC operational enough so that it can drill out it's own waste board? Is there enough Z travel to drill all the way through the waste board when mounted? Or would you need to mount it to a temporary board and double stack?

You get where I'm going with this? Seems like exactly the type of tedious work you get a CNC for in order to avoid doing manually.
    Exactly! I plan to put a scrap piece of MDF as the waste board and then use the XYZ-Carve to drill out the real one. I might even mount a pen and draw all the number/lines as well.
    Time to write some g-code while waiting for my machine...

EDIT: We're not the first ones to think of this
    https://discuss.inventables.com/t/ca...ste-board/9017

Quote Originally Posted by snowyskiesau View Post
    EDIT: We're not the first ones to think of this
    https://discuss.inventables.com/t/ca...ste-board/9017
    I also decided to answer my own question and hit up the googletrons, was about to link the exact same thread.

Came across this a few weeks ago: Mortise and tenon on the X-carve! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxKud6rSpw0
    Really cool idea if you're willing to cut a hole in your waste board/table (hey it's only MDF). Could easily double up the waste board and make a removable insert to fill the gap if the hole is a problem.
    Michael

To do the mortise and tenon, I'd have to rethink what spindle to use. I'd planned to use the 800w spindle from my 6040 CNC but perhaps my second choice, a Makita RT0700CX would be better?

Quote Originally Posted by cray- View Post

Yeah initially I was thinking that would be what I would do but got a little delayed on the electronics so decided to go ahead and do it manually. Also it helped justify to the wife why a home handy man tinkerer like myself would need Milwaukee and Bosch Professional tools - "wow bubba the power on this 18v Milwaukee is brilliant, I'm so glad I invested a little more coin on a good one" lol

And after a bit of work I've got the waste board assembled and attached. The machine is now squared up and everything is where it should be. Last step is the wiring. Hopefully I have all the sets labeled correctly, but a multimeter should ascertain that reasonably quickly. First round of soldering tomorrow after work. If I can get all the sockets done then it should be a matter of "plug and pray"...
    IMG_0878.jpgIMG_0881.jpgIMG_0883.jpg

Also it helped justify to the wife why a home handy man tinkerer like myself would need Milwaukee and Bosch Professional tools
    OK you're forgiven, any excuse to buy more tools is justified. Good luck making it cut.
    Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast