Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: White polish

Default White polish

I was strolling through Bunnings the other day, as one is want to do, when I noticed a plastic bottle of "Disney White Polish" I thought that this might be worth a look. Not unreasonably priced, so I bought a bottle.

Before using it (There is a not a great deal on the label) I thought that I might see what I could find out about white polish from Neil Ellis' book "A Polishers Handbook"
    There was nothing about white polish in the book but I surmised that it is more than likely white shellac............ Anyhoot, I have put a couple of layers on some Cypress work that I have been doing and have then put on a couple of coats of wax finish............
    My question is this: Can anyone see any future problems with this method or more to the point was I correct in my assumption that white polish is in fact white shellac?
    BTW The cypress looks absolutely wonderful.............. I love to use cypress even if it is a pain to work!
    Catch ya later,
    Peter B.
    (Corunetes)
    --------------------------
    You, you and you, panic!..... The rest of you come with me!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hopefully the polish will keep you amused i9n the park.

(Disney???????????????????????)

Default White Polish Vs White Shellac

Corunetes

I recently used Neils white shellac on a red cedar window seat and was very happy with the results. Easy to apply and when polished looked fantastic ( the finish not the window seat, but thats another story!). I also saw the white polish at Bunnings and it is nothing like the U-Beaut product. IMHO get the real stuff!!

Hi Corunetes, you know this means we (ok I) are anxious for photos to check out the finish. I too love working in cypress - hint hint

cheers
    RufflyRustic

White polish is as you say shellac. It is shellac that has been acid bleached and still has the wax left in it, also known as waxy white shellac. Our white shellac is the same but with all the wax removed.

I'm always a bit warey of buying premixed shellac from hardwars shops as most of the regular stuff has a shelf life of around 12 mth and could have been sitting around for God only knows how long. To my knowlege we are the only suppliers of shellac products that are game enough to put a useby date on our premixed shellacs.

You should find that you get more use out of white polish as it often has a longer shelf life and in theory Bunnies should have a reasonable turnover of product - in theory. However it is also possible that they have thousands of bottles sitting in a warehouse for months on end waiting to replace the stock that isn't selling all that well in the shop.... Who knows. Certainly not me.

Cheers - Neil

PS We mix our shellac with 100% Industrial Metho, to my knowlege most other suppliers use regular or 95% metho which can contain up to 10% water (in some instances as high as 20% and more). We use 100% because out shellacs have to be mixed with waxes and anything more than 1 or 2% water will not allow the waxes to mix in.

Thanks Neil.............. Will you be represented at the Newcastle wood and craft show in August?..............
    Catch ya later,
    Peter B.
    (Corunetes)
    --------------------------
    You, you and you, panic!..... The rest of you come with me!