Default Mostly Metalwork but for Leatherwork

As there isn't a forum for 'a bit of everything' I have posted this here as it is mostly metalwork even if it is for leather....
    Making it involved joinery, wood & metal turning, Forge work, a serious amount of filing and even a little bit of leatherwork.
    The column is from recycled mahogany from an old table, pimped a bit with a whittled spiral.
    The three 'arms' were recessed on the lathe and excess metal removed on the mill. I wasn't able to splay the jaws wide enough at the forge so welded on some 1/8" plate. Several hours of filing followed and then it was back to the forge to put the curve into the arms.
    A final polish and drilling the 1/16" holes for the leather (saves marking the work when in use)
    The spring was a bit hit & miss, made from a roadside find (a bit of broken car road spring). Forged to shape, hardened right out then tempered back to purple. The rate was adjusted by thinning on the inside of the curve with an angle grinder till it felt about right when fitted.
    Finally the forged parts were oil blackened.
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What you say & what people hear are not always the same thing.
    http://www.remark.me.uk/

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Old-Biker-UK View Post
    As there isn't a forum for 'a bit of everything' I have posted this here as it is mostly metalwork even if it is for leather....
    Making it involved joinery, wood & metal turning, Forge work, a serious amount of filing and even a little bit of leatherwork.
    The column is from recycled mahogany from an old table, pimped a bit with a whittled spiral.
    The three 'arms' were recessed on the lathe and excess metal removed on the mill. I wasn't able to splay the jaws wide enough at the forge so welded on some 1/8" plate. Several hours of filing followed and then it was back to the forge to put the curve into the arms.
    A final polish and drilling the 1/16" holes for the leather (saves marking the work when in use)
    The spring was a bit hit & miss, made from a roadside find (a bit of broken car road spring). Forged to shape, hardened right out then tempered back to purple. The rate was adjusted by thinning on the inside of the curve with an angle grinder till it felt about right when fitted.
    Finally the forged parts were oil blackened.
    Mark
    G/day old biker,
    I like it, it looks good and I can appreciate the work you have put into it but I need to ask the question, what does it do ?

Quote Originally Posted by shedhappens View Post
    G/ what does it do ?
    i was thinking the same

Quote Originally Posted by shedhappens View Post
    G/day old biker,
    I like it, it looks good and I can appreciate the work you have put into it but I need to ask the question, what does it do ?
    Looks like a fancy bit of animal husbandry equipment. I'm thinking for forceps delivery of calves etc.

bollie7

Nice aesthetic to it and a fair bit of effort.

I can see it is a foot opening vise or clamp but like everyone else what is it for?
    …..Live a Quiet Life & Work with your Hands

Quote Originally Posted by bollie7 View Post
    Looks like a fancy bit of animal husbandry equipment. I'm thinking for forceps delivery of calves etc.

bollie7
    he does say "it is for leather"

Default Can I have a go?

Firstly, it's bloody brilliant, a really nice piece of useful artwork.

Starting at the bottom, place foot on pedal, leather strap exerts pull-down force on lever that in turn opens the jaws to secure two pieces of leather for hand stitching.

Force to keep the jaws closed is provided by the spring at the top.

Well.....well, do I get the prize.....how about a bag of lollies?

Incidently, what do you make in leather? I have a bit of a go myself, beautiful stuff to work with.

Got some more pics?

Ken

I'm with Ken, I reckon it's a version and an artistic one at that of a saddlemaker's "clam" or clamp used for holding leather while being saddlestitched with two needles.

BT

Default Half a bag each

BT I reckon we are on the right track, where's the Old Timer to confirm our thoughts?

I won't mind sharing half a bag of lollies with ya, although you'll have to come and get your half.

Ken

Its certainly a lovely piece of art and practical too......I think?

Couple of you get first prize - basically it is vague copy of an early 19c. leatherworking clam, I saw a pic on the net somewhere of one made of brass and liked the design. Couldn't afford (or find in the scrap bin) the right bits of brass so made the top part in steel.
    'neksmerj' has sussed it- press pedal to open the jaws, release and the spring clamps the two jaws with the leather to be sewn trapped between them.
    Effectively it is a 'third hand' and makes it much easier to use two needles for sewing.
    leatherclamp3.jpg

I do a bit of leatherwork some of which can be on my web site in the Hobbies section but mostly I make tools !

Mark

What you say & what people hear are not always the same thing.
    http://www.remark.me.uk/

Just spent a good hour looking through your webpage. You make some very nice & interesting stuff.
    Pity your so far away I need some saddle bags & a smithing apron.

Love the tools.
    …..Live a Quiet Life & Work with your Hands

Well I have made several over the years but that bone surely is the rolls royce version, well done, There is a leather work section that you could have posted in

Default The correct forum

Hey China, Old Timer posted his project in the very best forum, the Metal Work Forum.

If his jigger had been in the leather work forum, I would not have seen it along with hundreds of other forum members.

Incidently, looking through Old Timer's site was most fascinating. Old Timer, you have remarkable skills and tons of patience. Just love the old world look of your hand made tools.

Ken