Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default could someone please explain!!!

Hi guys,
    I have noticed recently the lack of turnings that
    appear on the forum, out of 30 posts, maybe only
    3or 4 serious turnings !! Where are all the good
    turnings / projects that all the forum members
    make on a weekend? Is it because of winter ?
    Is it because no one has turned anything good ?
    Just seems like the forum has gone a bit flat lately!
    I was wondering why! We have a great forum to show
    and inform each other, learn from the more experienced
    turners, but I just havn, t seen it lately
    Anyone have any thoughts?
    Any comments ?
    Cheers smiife

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I have not posted many photos as I have to check with customer they are ok with me doing so.
    It's a Big job of little bits.
    Turning round since 1992

Mobyturns is offline In An Instant Your Life Can Change Forever

I don't turn many pieces but the ones I do turn are usually potential competition entries so I will have to seriously reconsider posting images of my pieces in the future.
    Mobyturns

In An Instant Your Life CanChange Forever

Fair enough, I usually do post mine, but been bust building a shed.
    So, I have started another thread with some recent turnings
    Cheers
    Willy
    Jarrahland

I am working on bowls for the big selling season here, which is fall leaf time in Oct.

I'll put up the photos when finished.

I miss a lot of the old hands of 3 - 5 years ago who were great sources of information. It is possible they got tired of answering the same questions from beginners, over and over.

As I have had much encouragement and help here, I want to give back what I can.

I do wonder at times if some new turners are not capable of a Google search.
    So much timber, so little time.

Paul

I have been thinking for some weeks that the forum appears to be 'running out of steam'.

Mobyturns
    I don't turn many pieces but the ones I do turn are usually potential competition entries so I will have to seriously reconsider posting images of my pieces in the future.
    I think Mobyturns has "nailed it" as I would guess that the decline started shortly after the change of rules for the AWEX exhibition in Melbourne requiring that entries were to be made in the previous 12 months and had not been previously exhibited or published elsewhere. (Ihope I haven't misquoted the change in the rules)

I uderstand the decision as they need to present a competition and exhibition which features 'new work' to attract visitors to the show. But I do feel that this change in the rules has had a detrimental eaffect on our forum - particular the decline in members displaying thier latest work.

Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul39 View Post
    I am working on bowls for the big selling season here, which is fall leaf time in Oct.

I'll put up the photos when finished.

I miss a lot of the old hands of 3 - 5 years ago who were great sources of information. It is possible they got tired of answering the same questions from beginners, over and over.

As I have had much encouragement and help here, I want to give back what I can.

I do wonder at times if some new turners are not capable of a Google search.

I'm a new turner and will be a participant in this forum, once I get some nice pieces.

Saying that, I'm a Moderator in a very big Apple Forum, and yes it is all well and good for people to use Google, but on the other hand, there is nothing better than going to a forum, asking a question (and trust me, 99.99999% of questions have been asked and can be found on Google) and getting a straight up answer from a dedicated and knowledgable Member. You can Google the crap out of a Question, and spend minutes to hours reading through a lot of posts, to see a glimpse of what you are looking for in the last post . . .

I personally don't last too long in forums where Members say LMGTFY. A post can wield a answer, start o conversation, make friendships and be a wealth of information. A forum is to ask questions and learn, that is why they are here, not to send a newbie to Google and feel unwelcome . . . I plan on staying around, and posting images when I'm set up properly and have something of interest to post

For those to have to look it up:

LMGTFY (Let Me Google That For You) is a website that creates a demonstration of how to conduct a user-specified Google search. The site was designed as a service to tech-savvy people who are frequently asked for help doing research.
    So much timber, so little time.

Paul

A lot of turning forums have experienced a downturn in posts. Facebook has had an impact, although nowhere near as good, it seems to be the new thing with various specific groups.

It will be in more interesting to see what happens when the metal working sections of this forum split away into their own forum
    Neil

Great question smiife.

The AWTEX comment, in my 'opinion', is quite naive.

I've noticed, both here and Facebook, that the sense of 'camaraderie' seems to be dwindling. On all too many occasions the same old guard will subtly denigrate the up and comers with their 'I know best' attitude. More often than not, the newer user will wander away, never to post again. Or, like me, shake my head and contribute occasionally, if at all. This is not only my observation but one of many in our club. In other words, I feel as though these forums and Facebook groups have become 'exclusive' not 'inclusive'.

You also have to ask, why aren't professional Woodturners contributing to this forum (and others)?

I contribute on Facebook more than I do here or show my work to a trusted network of Woodturning friends and mentors. This is where I will receive constructive feedback. Good, bad or otherwise. I like to improve, not turn up my nose at foolish or uneducated comments. My network of woodturning friends are also 'mates'. We look after, support and encourage each other no matter what. Here? Meh.

I do think Australia needs something like the American Association of Woodturners. A proper constitution with democratically elected members that are proud of all members, new, old, experienced or otherwise would be beneficial. This would also showcase the best of Australian woodturners. Until then I think we'll continually suffer under the weight of stymied talent.
    -Scott

When I started turning I posted the first pieces and was proud as punch to have created something. I know it as not very good but it was something that I made.

For those that are new to turning please don't be concerned about a standard for presentation. Just post it and ask for comments. Treat this as feedback or at the very least a different perspective, it might inspire you to try create another piece with a slight modification.
    Also don't be concern if not everyone likes the piece. We are all different and that what makes our world great.

I will admit that I have not posted anything of late but that's because family life has been busy. So the five pieces are gathering dust in the shed. I hope they don't warp too much before I get to them.

As a long term member and a former prolific poster but now limiting myself to posting on what directly concern me I suppose I should explain why I've become a virtual lurker.

A number of points have been raised, some I agree with wholeheartedly others I disagree with, but I believe that the increasingly nasty attitude of some members, making derogatory and insulting posts, that has been invading the board has a lot to do with the falling away of interest by long term members.

Recently I was the victim of some very nasty and vitriolic abuse sent to me through the pm system by a member and yet I was stopped from exposing him by posting those pm's.

I don't think I'm an isolated case, others come to mind, and I doubt much can be done as this is becoming more and more prevalent in this wonderful world of social media.

Others may disagree with this but I've reached the stage in life where I don't care to put up with this attitude anymore.

Peter.
    Last edited by Big Shed; 24th August 2015 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Naming and shaming not appropriate

The problem is not just in woodturning but applies to any sort of craft.

I think Christos has a point here combined with the increasing overwhelming volume of good stuff already posted on line.

Most newbies have probably spent hours or days browsing this and other sites.
    Then when they make their first pieces, and as to be expected they turn out looking average, there may not seem any incentive to posting pics of their output.

The same in a sense may apply to experienced craftspersons.
    It's getting harder and harder to show something new/original and even though they might produce a high quality piece, it may not be outstanding/new/original so they don't see a need to post it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee View Post
    As a long term member and a former prolific poster but now limiting myself to posting on what directly concern me I suppose I should explain why I've become a virtual lurker.

A number of points have been raised, some I agree with wholeheartedly others I disagree with, but I believe that the increasingly nasty attitude of some members, making derogatory and insulting posts, that has been invading the board has a lot to do with the falling away of interest by long term members.

Recently I was the victim of some very nasty and vitriolic abuse sent to me through the pm system by a member and yet I was stopped from exposing him by posting those pm's.

I don't think I'm an isolated case, others come to mind, and I doubt much can be done as this is becoming more and more prevalent in this wonderful world of social media.

Others may disagree with this but I've reached the stage in life where I don't care to put up with this attitude anymore.

Peter.
    Peter, publishing nasty/vitriolic PMs on open forum is not the way to handle this. Don't forget that the P in PM stands for Private. If you or any member gets abusive or inappropriate PMs from another forum member the correct way to deal that is to report them to Admin/Mods, who WILL deal with them and take appropriate action.

Naming and shaming is likewise not appropriate.

Peter, you have my full and unqualified support on this.
    -Scott

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast