Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hughie, the link doesn't seem to be working and I agree, its probably your head!!!

Thanks for all the detail Mobyturns, really useful and totally validates Alby's comment on the value of the Forum. Great stuff

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Mobyturns is offline In An Instant Your Life Can Change Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgreybeard View Post
    Are the polycarb face panels identical - I've been looking for one for my Purelite. (it is the same as your photo.) No one has suggested the Trend Airshield as a replacement.

Apologies for jumping on this thread.

Bob
    As far as I remember yes, could be minor differences. Be careful where you order them as I had one a few years back that seemed to have lots of minute ripples and badly distorted vision. Ended up in the bin it was that bad. I would have to dig back into my records to see what I purchased when. I need more filters so it would be nice to find a supplier in Oz. I have commitments this weekend but if I get a chance next week I will pull them both out & compare.
    Mobyturns

In An Instant Your Life CanChange Forever

Regarding the replacement face shields, for many years now I have been buying clear high impact plastic the same thickness and using the original face shield as a template; which means the cost of replacement face shields has been reduced by 40%.

Regarding the head straps I use the 3M faceshield and wear a cap backwards to give a bit more padding!
    As I wear mine up to 7 hours some days. And it's easier to wash the cap than cleaning head band.
    Turning round since 1992

But chuck, you are wasting all that woodhood aroma of sweat, sawdust and polish; almost good enough to bottle!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phily View Post
    Hughie, the link doesn't seem to be working and I agree, its probably your head!!!

Thanks for all the detail Mobyturns, really useful and totally validates Alby's comment on the value of the Forum. Great stuff

http://www.cleanspacetechnology.com/ try this
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

I feel the urge to buy another fishing lure. Looks awesome - who cares how effective its is!!!! Is it??

Mobyturns is offline In An Instant Your Life Can Change Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Phily View Post
    I feel the urge to buy another fishing lure. Looks awesome - who cares how effective its is!!!! Is it??
    I modified what I turn because dust badly affects my sinuses hence my preference for spindle turning, no or very little sanding. Without personal breathing protection and DE I would not be turning bowls etc.

The bigest advantage of the Trend/Purelite is that it works on positive pressure and works well even if you wear a beard. At times a high or extra high impact rating faceshield and a half face respirator would be a better choice of PPE for larger turning projects.

The Airshields faceshield design relies upon the frame retaining the visor component in an impact situation and deflection of the object. I feel more confident with the Armadillo on riskier blanks. Maybe its only perception.
    Mobyturns

In An Instant Your Life CanChange Forever

I had the old triton one which I worked nearly to death over ten years full time use but I will never forget the first time I gave it a run - decided to turn down an old cricket stump between centres, caught the skew after a few minutes, spindle let go and smacked me right across the middle of the face...Thank heavens for full face polycarbonate masks, I would have lost my front teeth for sure.
    The Triton mask was very cheaply made but the motor and filter were on a belt around the waist and out of the way connected to the mask by a light tube. It worked pretty well but the motor was weak, the batteries were weak, the tube broke a number of times, the faceplate mounts broke...
    As I said before I am just waiting for a properly designed one to come on the market at a reasonable price.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12