Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default First time doing dado's.

Hey Guys,

Last night was my first time doing dado's. I just went out to the shop to do a test fit and they don't seem to be 90 degrees.

received_538326966322037.jpg

Not too sure where I've gone wrong...

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    Hey Guys,

Last night was my first time doing dado's. I just went out to the shop to do a test fit and they don't seem to be 90 degrees.

received_538326966322037.jpg

Not too sure where I've gone wrong...
    I'm not sure what you specifically mean by "they don't seem to be 90 degrees". Some more details might help, as it's not clear from that photo. Do you mean that the groove or dado is not perpendicular (at 90 degrees) to the edge of the board ? Or, do you mean that some other aspect of the groove is not square - i.e. the sides of the groove are not at 90 degrees to the face of the board, or that the bottom of the groove is not at 90 degrees to the sides of the grooves?

RoyG
    Manufacturer of the Finest Quality Off-Cuts.

Sorry RoyG,

When I place my shelf in the dado, I can't seem to make the shelf square to the face of the board with the dado without putting quite a bit of stress on the shelf. I think that maybe my router has lifted (maybe due to the dust extraction hose) and hasn't created a perfectly flat dado?

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    Sorry RoyG,

When I place my shelf in the dado, I can't seem to make the shelf square to the face of the board with the dado without putting quite a bit of stress on the shelf. I think that maybe my router has lifted (maybe due to the dust extraction hose) and hasn't created a perfectly flat dado?
    Thanks for the clarification. Your idea that the "router may have lifted" sounds feasible. Are all of the dado cuts the same, or only some dado cuts, or only parts of some dado cuts?

If the problem is only with parts of each dado cut, or only with some dado cuts, I'd stick with your theory that the router base plate is not staying firmly on the job, and instead the router is tilting for some reason. If that's the case, the solution is more practice.....

If the full length of each dado you cut is out of alignment to the same amount every time, I'd be suspecting that the router itself is misaligned. A few years ago I bought a used Makita router on Ebay. I bought that router to cut dovetail joints on a Leigh Jig, but no matter what I did, I always ended up with loose dovetail joints. Eventually I worked out what was wrong with the router by tightening a length of 1/2" drill rod in the collet. When you placed an engineers square against the drill rod, it showed that the router's shaft was not perpendicular to the router base plate. A bit of Googling showed that in some Makita Routers there is a way to shim the plunge mechanism to correct any misalignment of the shaft. It was a fiddly fix, mucking around with bits of 0.001" shims to get it right, but that router lasted a good few years after the alignment problem was fixed.

Hope that info helps.

RoyG
    Manufacturer of the Finest Quality Off-Cuts.