Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Default Is this paintjob worth $60 an hour???

Got a guy here putting up a pergola over the back patio. It will be covered with clear Polycarb to keep rain off, and will be a really good lifestyle improvement. The construction work that he is doing is good.

However, when it comes to finishing, I don't think I can learn much from this fella.

Here's the paintwork on the most looked at wall of the house (which was replaced by him with new baords about 3 months ago).

At night:

Overcast daylight (same boards):

Now I called this out as not being of the standard required (although I am not paying for it). I was completely dismissed out of hand as "making a farce of yourself to bring it up. I paint houses. I'm painting houses." along with a lot of other unpleasant bullying remarks to get out of it.

The next day we have this offering. A superthick coat of enamel (no undercoat or primer on KD Pine - none of the paintwork has UC or priming and it's all treated pine). This was the second coat, and it was done in the morning and left in full sun for several hours until this rather delightful bubble as big as a 50c piece and associated snakeskin was generated. The previous day it had the first equally thick coat applied.

This afternoon I had to help hold the board (fascia) in position for fixing. The bloody thing kept going out of fluch underneath and I eventually discovered why - the snakeskin was sliding upwards in my hands! IT LOOKS LIKE CRAP NOW!

A new board above the door head. It had a small hood stuck on with Sikaflex and screws (by him 3 months ago). That hood is no longer necessary, and so the result is (and there is plenty more out of picture):

No sanding, no nothing, just slap the thickest coat of paint on possible.

Rafter and purlin tops get nothing at all, and they will have clear polycarb over them, which will intensify the sun if anything.

I observed this to him, and he fabricated a reason to put a single coat on them this afternoon (dunno what, wqasn't listening as I have tuned out a few days ago).

So people, am I being unreasonable and expecting too much for $60 an hour? (by all-up quote, but that's the rate it was based upon).

I've heard at least 5-6 times now that this is the Rolls-Royce version of this pergola. Methinks Mr Royce might move this character from the paint shop to somewhere else - perhaps sump-oil clearing, for I doubt he'd be satisfied with this standard.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

That is a $h!te job if I ever saw one. That's $10/hr kid-from-down-the-road-holiday-job grade.

All the timber facing the poly needs two coats of white. I use solarguard.
    The rest I won't comment on as mum taught me to say nothing if I could not say something nice.......

FF, fire this turkey immediately. Don't pay him a cent.

Hire another trade to rectify the work.

Let him take it to arbitration. He won't. He is a scheister.

Quote Originally Posted by Evanism View Post
    FF, fire this turkey immediately. I can't.
    Don't pay him a cent. Not up to me, but have sent the owner some pics of things to look out for on Saturday when he inspects.

Hire another trade to rectify the work. Pffft - I could do that. Actually, I think even Nursie could.

Let him take it to arbitration. He won't. He is a scheister.
    Furthermore, there have been comments coming in the other direction about some specifications and executions of some procedures to do with my deck - overkill, waste of time, completely unnecessary, dodgy.

Uh huh.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY

I've built 3 houses, renovated 2 more and a landlord on 3. This work is 100% amateur hour. I encounter these criminals every job - maintenance, repair, extension and renovation. Fire him. Document. Photograph. Eliminate. Purge.

His abuse is proof enough.

The real hassle is you will have to spend more fixing this rubbish. I have long advocated an official tradesman register and bond precisely for this purpose.

A few years ago I didn't follow my own rules and allowed a team to complete a house without supervision. The rectification work was endless. Never again.

My absolute experience is to fire them instantly, not give them a chance, hire another to fix and bill them for it. I use the small claims court all the time. It's an easy process and they loose 100% of the time.

It's been a long time since I painted bare timber, my father was a painter and I used to help him in the school holidays, but this is absolute crap workmanship. To rectify this, it will need to be taken back to bare timber, and then coated with a good quality primer, then 2 coats of quality paint. If not, the paint will peel off or blister again. Where the blister is, I would say was caused by moisture underneath. Because the paint is THICK, it won't have soaked into the pores of the timber, giving it a good hold, hence the blistering.
    Keep all your photos together of this as proof of poor workmanship, when and if you take or are taken to court over this. I wouldn't pay him one cent, as this could be seen as accepting the job as done.
    In SA, we have a licensing system, where contractors must have a license for their field of work, if the job is over $500. If someone is self employed or has staff doing the job, they must also have a supervisors license.
    Kryn

Default Not worst ive seen.....

Looks almost like a textured finish ..
    Quote Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post
    Got a guy here putting up a pergola over the back patio. It will be covered with clear Polycarb to keep rain off, and will be a really good lifestyle improvement. The construction work that he is doing is good.

However, when it comes to finishing, I don't think I can learn much from this fella.

Here's the paintwork on the most looked at wall of the house (which was replaced by him with new baords about 3 months ago).

At night:

Overcast daylight (same boards):

Now I called this out as not being of the standard required (although I am not paying for it). I was completely dismissed out of hand as "making a farce of yourself to bring it up. I paint houses. I'm painting houses." along with a lot of other unpleasant bullying remarks to get out of it.

The next day we have this offering. A superthick coat of enamel (no undercoat or primer on KD Pine - none of the paintwork has UC or priming and it's all treated pine). This was the second coat, and it was done in the morning and left in full sun for several hours until this rather delightful bubble as big as a 50c piece and associated snakeskin was generated. The previous day it had the first equally thick coat applied.

This afternoon I had to help hold the board (fascia) in position for fixing. The bloody thing kept going out of fluch underneath and I eventually discovered why - the snakeskin was sliding upwards in my hands! IT LOOKS LIKE CRAP NOW!

A new board above the door head. It had a small hood stuck on with Sikaflex and screws (by him 3 months ago). That hood is no longer necessary, and so the result is (and there is plenty more out of picture):

No sanding, no nothing, just slap the thickest coat of paint on possible.

Rafter and purlin tops get nothing at all, and they will have clear polycarb over them, which will intensify the sun if anything.

I observed this to him, and he fabricated a reason to put a single coat on them this afternoon (dunno what, wqasn't listening as I have tuned out a few days ago).

So people, am I being unreasonable and expecting too much for $60 an hour? (by all-up quote, but that's the rate it was based upon).

I've heard at least 5-6 times now that this is the Rolls-Royce version of this pergola. Methinks Mr Royce might move this character from the paint shop to somewhere else - perhaps sump-oil clearing, for I doubt he'd be satisfied with this standard.

Brett, that is less than poor workmanship - it will actually cost you money to put right. Failure to prepare the timber is criminal. Lack of care is inexcusable.

Can you hold him accountable for the expenses?

You may need a ombudsman from the council to state that his work is below standard, and fire him, otherwise he may claim unfair dismissal and seek payment.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Visit www.inthewoodshop.com for tutorials on constructing handtools, handtool reviews, and my trials and tribulations with furniture builds.

Thanks for your responses chaps.

This is how my bringing up the paint job went:

(he is denoted as "RR" for Rolls Royce)

RR: Ok, show me your concerns.

FF: The paint job on the wall.

RR: What’s ....

FF: Have a look from here – stand here (oblique angle, as it was very early morning sunlight)

RR: What’s wrong with it?

FF: What’s wrong with THAT? It’s a rushed paint job.

RR: It’s a paint job. I paint houses.

FF: Sorry, that’s… this is not how the finish was before the second coat (I put on the first coat 2 months ago).

FF: Are you saying that’s acceptable?

RR: Ah, come on mate. Seriously.

FF: Well, I’ve got to sand that off now.

RR: That’s up to you, if you want to sand it off you can. You ask “Owner” if it’s acceptable. He’s the owner. Mate, come on. Seriously.

FF: It’s not acceptable to me.

RR: Ok, fair enough, that’s (unintelligible). That’s up to you. I cannot fix that kind of stuff. Honestly,

FF: All I’m asking….

RR: It’s not acceptable to you. That’s the key, ok? That’s the key.

FF: Well I am the cat who lives here.

RR: You’re not the owner and I mean that with respect. If you’re going to disrespect my work…..

FF: I’m not disrespecting your work RR, I’m saying that……

RR: No, no, I’m f**ken painting houses.

FF: Pardon?

RR: I paint houses. I’m painting houses.

FF: I don’t care what happens elsewhere….

RR: So don’t…don’t….don’t….don’t bring it up with me. Right? Do not bring it up with me. It makes a farce of you to bring that up. I’m serious, in my eyes…

FF: To bring up that paint job?

RR: Ah, come on mate. Seriously, you talk to “Owner” about it. Complain to “Owner” about it. Seriously…

FF: And?

RR: ….don’t bring it with me. Do not bring it up with me.

FF: Why?

RR: Because it’s a joke. It’s a joke.

FF: It is a joke, actually.

RR: Come on. I don’t know where you’re coming from….

FF: THAT’S not an acceptable paint job. That’s where I’m coming from.

RR: Fix it then! Or leave it, complain to “Owner”, and see what “Owner” says.

FF: You said to me when you were here doin’ the wall that, something about a timeline on getting painting done, you said “you haven’t seen me paint yet”. Well I have now.

RR: That’s okaaay. That’s ok. But please, look, you’re really ruining……Anyway, that’s alright. Good, it’s all good.

RR: Complain to “Owner” about it, I’ll speak with “Owner”. Go from there.

….........

RR: Yeah, complain to “Owner” about the paint work.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY

I'll agree a crap job.
    What they say is right though you get what you pay for here though you are not paying for it directly.

Tradesman painters be they good or bad doing work along side my son in quality new homes are being paid $150hr+.

Landlords do not like spending money and if the real estate agents have organised it they spend even less and pocket the rest if they can ( I have had as a landlord had real estate try do this) and get usually retired handymen to do the job who need the $$ to top up their pensions.

As the guy is saying speak to the landlord/owner/real estate agent after all they are paying for it, you are only the mug renting it and I mean that with no disrespect being a renter and having similar problems from time to time.

As for the guy get out of his hair let him get on with his poorly paid job no matter how bad it is as its the owner who suffers in the end.

Brett, I agree, that this is a rental changes it all. Unless I understand incorrectly, the painter was contracted by the owner to paint the house, and not by you (he has every right to tell you to bugger off). You do not have much say in this other than if the choice of colours is not to your liking and makes the place uninviting for you (that is, you would not have rented in the first place).

Certainly, inform the owner what he has received for his money. He may care. He may not. I imagine that he is not keen to spend any more than necessary. And what do you care if he has to fork out again to redo it in a couple of years?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Visit www.inthewoodshop.com for tutorials on constructing handtools, handtool reviews, and my trials and tribulations with furniture builds.

I agree with Wheelin & Derek.

But still... I hate painting and don't get anywhere near any of the mentioned hourly rates, yet even I know that if the paint is so thick it doesn't flow out the brush marks. it only takes 5 mins to thin it suitably for good coverage AND flow. And consequently save more than 5 minutes in time actually spent painting.

"I do house painting." Meh. So does a twelve year old kid with a paintball gun at Halloween.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Default Hold on a bit

I know if you have bubbles in your paintwork you're not doing the right thing but still I'm not sure I agree with much of whats going down here.

Firstly, when a few years ago I installed my own polycarb roofing I clearly remember the installation instructions said not to paint the top of the purlins - leave them bare. Unfortunately it didn't say why not - its remained a mystery to this day but I just assumed it was something to do with albedo - ie because a painted top surface would reflect the sunlight back onto the lower and relatively unprotected side of the polycarb.

Anyway, I just went outside and checked and yep, they are bare - and there is no way I would have done that unless it was in the instructions.

Secondly, whether he did the right thing with the 2 coats of enamel directly on bare timber is something else I'm not certain about. Unfortunately you haven't specified if its oil based enamel or acrylic. If its oil based then yep, its the wrong thing to do - you are going to need a primer and an undercoat. If its acrylic, then any paint company will tell you that if the paint is formulated for the job then there is no need for primer on bare timber, or almost any other non-metallic surface. They will tell you this with obvious frustration because they are sick of trying to bash it into people's heads that the way things were painted 30 years ago is not necessarily the best way to do it now. They will say that products like Suntuff are best painted direct to bare timber, several generous coats, and they will outlast the old primer/undercoat/enamel-topcoat regime of yore by many years.

My own experience is that this is true - if not understated.

However, what you don't get out of the acrylics is self-levelling. So its no surprise to see the brush-strokes in your photos. Again, I'm not certain about whether this is a bad job or just me failing to adapt to changing standards. I sometimes think I'm that one last person in the paint shop asking for oil-based enamel for interior work because I insist on everything self-levelling back to a glass-like coat. Everyone else must be satisfied with the look of acrylic enamels with their brush strokes and not-quite-up-their gloss levels. Am I just failing to move on - well I was the last person I know to carry a mobile phone so I guess maybe I am a slow adopter.

cheers
    Arron

Quote Originally Posted by Arron View Post
    Firstly, when a few years ago I installed my own polycarb roofing I clearly remember the installation instructions said not to paint the top of the purlins - leave them bare. Unfortunately it didn't say why not - its remained a mystery to this day but I just assumed it was something to do with albedo - ie because a painted top surface would reflect the sunlight back onto the lower and relatively unprotected side of the polycarb.
    Dunno, but the intention was to leave them bare, I queried it (genuine query for what are now obvious reasons), but then they got a coat (because of the query or because he had asked someone else?), so who knows.

Secondly, whether he did the right thing with the 2 coats of enamel directly on bare timber is something else I'm not certain about. Unfortunately you haven't specified if its oil based enamel or acrylic.
    Yep, oil based enamel as noted in my OP: The next day we have this offering. A superthick coat of enamel.

If its acrylic, then any paint company will tell you that if the paint is formulated for the job then there is no need for primer on bare timber, or almost any other non-metallic surface.
    Rightio then, I can handle that (too damn late anyway )

However, what you don't get out of the acrylics is self-levelling. So its no surprise to see the brush-strokes in your photos.
    Nah, no chance here Arron. I used the same brush and paint the next day to paint the adjacent wall which had old paint recovered before (a bad surface to start with). It was not a good brush (too coarse) but my brush strokes are what you would expect them to be for a pretty acceptable paint job.

Quite simply he loads waaaay too much paint on the brush, applies it in very poor light, but at the speed of light, and clearly doesn't have fine motor skills down pat. It was quite a way after sunset when he finished.

He's all about saving time on each job. This is not the first work he has done here, and the situation is not quite the usual tenant/landlord/repairs guy.

I'm here for the long haul and it's available for ten years. I look after it like I owned it, and the owner, and more particularly her father with whom I deal, know and appreciate this. We have an excellent working relationship, and they are spending dough on the place for two reasons: I make suggestions (like the pergola) that will also be enjoyed by the next occupant, and I look out for normal maintenance issues - resolving many of them myself. There have been a number of improvements I have made (shed, garden, deck, nice woodie wall under pergola - next project - vege garden and shed again).

So in other words the father and I communicate directly on these matters, and I do have a reasonable say in many things. But no, I have no direct call in this matter, except to bring up what I see at the time, particularly if attending to it earlier will make a huge difference in the rectification (as is clearly the case with the brush strokes on the wall - he did actually remove the finger streak I drew in the thickest paint, just under the light (haven't asked him if he corrected anything at all on that wall - will set that up tomorrow when the owner is here).

I guess this is the killer though: we were reasonable mates until a week ago, but he was deeply offensive about someone else whom I have respect for (that of the two of us only I know - he's not met him), and then he turned in this work after yapping on about this Rolls Royce version he was doing.

There is also this, with the same people in common (i.e. him and myself):
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/showth...85#post1867885
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast