Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Woodfast 305 Stand

Does anyone own the Woodfast 305 and the Standard Stand ??

image.jpeg
    Reason being is I want to know if it is a sturdy stand. To me it looks quite light and flimsy, and if you had a uneven job in between centres, it looks as if it would wobble around.
    Currently I have mine on a table, and have the table anchored to the uprights of my old shed, and when she is at 1020rpm, it's not too bad, but when I up it to the next speed,mths whole shed rattles and shakes, tools fall off the racks, and the next door people groan. So do I because it's noisy and unnerving.
    Imwant to get a stand, but for $159 I would rather get one built than have something that can't take the heat, so to say.

Anyone vouch for them ??

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

These are quite a stable stand due to the design of the splayed legs.

You also have the ability of setting the height most convenient to use.

The lathe is only a small lathe so the stand is quite capable.
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Carroll View Post
    These are quite a stable stand due to the design of the splayed legs.

You also have the ability of setting the height most convenient to use.

The lathe is only a small lathe so the stand is quite capable.
    Great, thanks Jim . . . . How do you go about posting or couriering one to WA ? If you do ??

Cheers

TrickinWood,

Take a look here for shop made stands as an alternative:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...01.68B9L4K7Fu8

My preference is a stand that lets shaving fall to the floor as opposed to a bench where anything left on the top is buried under shavings.

I like these:

http://www.ibuildit.ca/Reader%20Proj...%20%282%29.JPG

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/attac...icture-007.jpg

Timber absorbs vibration and does not ring like steel. A shelf on the bottom stacked with buckets of gravel or rocks, or bags of sand, dead car batteries, etc. will make the stand very stable.
    So much timber, so little time.

Paul

Mobyturns is offline In An Instant Your Life Can Change Forever

I have the earlier version of the Jet stand which is of similar construction. No problems with vibration, however I was not putting wildly out of balance bowl blanks on the lathe.

The stand was used with a Nova Mercury lathe + extension bed. I placed the lathe & bed on a suitable length of 250 x 40 mm Porta pine which was slightly over length to allow for storage of centers in a timber bracket on the tail stock end. A tool storage rack was fitted rest on top of the board but under the extension bed.

The same stand has since been shortened to carry my new Vicmarc VL150 - still works very well. The VL150 sits on top of a sheet of 19mm ply which is reinforced with another layer of 19mm ply under the lathe feet & attached to the stand using bolts & "Tee Nuts" https://mcjing.com.au/categorybrowse...ategoryid=1427

Photo taken at Prossy Turnout. I'm thinking of raising the lathe another 50 mm above the ply base so I can use the area between the lathe and ply as a tool rack - but the ply is at about knee height so not that practical.

GDW VL150 sml.jpg
    Mobyturns

In An Instant Your Life CanChange Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Paul39 View Post
    TrickinWood,

My preference is a stand that lets shaving fall to the floor as opposed to a bench where anything left on the top is buried under shavings.

I like these:

Timber absorbs vibration and does not ring like steel. A shelf on the bottom stacked with buckets of gravel or rocks, or bags of sand, dead car batteries, etc. will make the stand very stable.
    Thanks Paul. A lot of good ideas there. Never occurred to me about the sandbags, when I use my own camera bag often to stabilise my Tripod legs in the wild. Will go and price up some wood today, and see if I can do it cheaper than buying . . . $$$ is a factor too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyturns View Post
    I have the earlier version of the Jet stand which is of similar construction. No problems with vibration, however I was not putting wildly out of balance bowl blanks on the lathe.

The stand was used with a Nova Mercury lathe + extension bed. I placed the lathe & bed on a suitable length of 250 x 40 mm Porta pine which was slightly over length to allow for storage of centers in a timber bracket on the tail stock end. A tool storage rack was fitted rest on top of the board but under the extension bed.

The same stand has since been shortened to carry my new Vicmarc VL150 - still works very well. The VL150 sits on top of a sheet of 19mm ply which is reinforced with another layer of 19mm ply under the lathe feet & attached to the stand using bolts & "Tee Nuts" https://mcjing.com.au/categorybrowse...ategoryid=1427

Photo taken at Prossy Turnout. I'm thinking of raising the lathe another 50 mm above the ply base so I can use the area between the lathe and ply as a tool rack - but the ply is at about knee height so not that practical.

GDW VL150 sml.jpg
    Nice little setup there mate. The thing is with my setup is it does this crazy vibration without wildly out of balance blanks. They really don't have to be that far out for the vibration to start, and then once the shed gets close to the lathe Harmonics, I need to switch it off . . .

TrickinWood,

I like these:

The more I think, the more it comes.

I'm thinking Railway Sleepers !!! Big, heavy and long lasting . . .

TrickinWood,

Will go and price up some wood today, and see if I can do it cheaper than buying . . . $$$ is a factor too.
    I am retired with a small income, so I think free or cheap.

Glass companies have big sheets of plate glass shipped in stout crates. Here they have to pay to have the crates hauled away.

Motorcycles come in nice crates, some of exotic Asian timber. Again a liability for the shops.

Skips at construction sites will have lots of off cut timber and plywood.

I have long ago learned to grin and wave when a posh acquaintance sees me pitching stuff out of a skip.

Paul

TrickinWood,

I am retired with a small income, so I think free or cheap.

Glass companies have big sheets of plate glass shipped in stout crates. Here they have to pay to have the crates hauled away.

Motorcycles come in nice crates, some of exotic Asian timber. Again a liability for the shops.

Skips at construction sites will have lots of off cut timber and plywood.

I have long ago learned to grin and wave when a posh acquaintance sees me pitching stuff out of a skip.

I totally agree with you on this "'free venture. My problem is, I live in a small country town of 5000 people, and thats including everyone in the Shire, so finding a building site is near on impossible. We are lucky to have a car dealership, let alone a bike shop, and a small Glazier business. I worked as a glazier for a while, and I found it used to be shipped in cheap pine, but LOTS of it, to cover the sturdiness of the crate . . Saying that, I did pick up some free spindle branches from the local dump.
    The local Primary School, has had these Railway sleepers sitting there for months now, so I will be going to ask them for 1 or 2.

Thanks for the thoughts Paul.

Mobyturns is offline In An Instant Your Life Can Change Forever

Quote Originally Posted by TrickinWood View Post
    Thanks Paul. A lot of good ideas there. Never occurred to me about the sandbags, when I use my own camera bag often to stabilise my Tripod legs in the wild. Will go and price up some wood today, and see if I can do it cheaper than buying . . . $$$ is a factor too.

Nice little setup there mate. The thing is with my setup is it does this crazy vibration without wildly out of balance blanks. They really don't have to be that far out for the vibration to start, and then once the shed gets close to the lathe Harmonics, I need to switch it off . . .
    Its not a good idea to brace the lathe to the shed walls. I've read a few funny stories over the years about lathes rattling the shed.
    Mobyturns

In An Instant Your Life CanChange Forever

Nice little setup there mate. The thing is with my setup is it does this crazy vibration without wildly out of balance blanks. They really don't have to be that far out for the vibration to start, and then once the shed gets close to the lathe Harmonics, I need to switch it off . . .[/QUOTE]
    Maybe you may want to make your blanks a bit more symmetrical to reduce the vibration. When they are that out of balance they may end up in your face.
    Rgds,
    Crocy

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyturns View Post
    Its not a good idea to brace the lathe to the shed walls. I've read a few funny stories over the years about lathes rattling the shed.
    With the rickety old table I had the lathe on, I needed to brace it somewhere and the shed was the easiest at the time. Even with a small balanced blank, the table was vey unstable but its all I had at the time, of setting up . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Old Croc View Post
    Maybe you may want to make your blanks a bit more symmetrical to reduce the vibration. When they are that out of balance they may end up in your face.
    Rgds,
    Crocy
    See above answer . . .

Well I went out and built a Lathe Stand today. It cost me $17.35 . . . and without further ado !!!!!

With the use of 3 sleepers, and a old pine post I give you the TrickinWood Sleeper Lathe Stand . . . .

This was my old camping table . .
    IMG_0082.JPG

Setting up to cut . .
    IMG_0083.jpg IMG_0084.JPG

Mmmm how will I do this ??
    IMG_0085.JPGIMG_0086.JPG

I have a idea !!!
    IMG_0087.JPG

And this should do me fine . . . .
    IMG_0088.JPG

Yea this will work well
    IMG_0089.JPG

Now to add a little bench and other bits to the frame for easy access. I'm a happy camper . . .

Man, you work quickly. Thread started at 8 last night and you already have a stand made.

As for the metal stand, I certainly can vouch for it. I bought it for use at high school and it is absolutely rock solid, including when turning bowls with half the sides missing. I also purchased an adjustable base to roll it around or to take outside to load on the way to demonstrations.

Very nice. If the nails start working out over time, you could add some more nails at angles or use lag screws.

Let us know how it works in practice.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CAG View Post
    Man, you work quickly. Thread started at 8 last night and you already have a stand made.

As for the metal stand, I certainly can vouch for it. I bought it for use at high school and it is absolutely rock solid, including when turning bowls with half the sides missing. I also purchased an adjustable base to roll it around or to take outside to load on the way to demonstrations.
    I'm a little OCD when it comes to me and a idea. I like to get stuck into it, and get it done, or it plays on my mind, that I could of done it earlier . . . Its a sickness, I confess !!

Good toknow about the stand from someone that has one. If and when the shed becomes a Tardis (gets bigger inside) then it could well be on the cards. For now I put the $$ away for a 14" Bandsaw

Very nice. If the nails start working out over time, you could add some more nails at angles or use lag screws.

Let us know how it works in practice.
    I suppose I should of noted the build. I actually used 260mm M10 Gal bolts through the sleepers, and then 4" screws in through the pine logs as the brace's. I'm going to finish up with X supports today so it doesn't want to twist too much.

And thanks to you Paul for the inspirational post above showing Shop Built Stands

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast