Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Masters

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    The problem with autonomous delivery vehicles is coping with the last part of a delivery, eg my 2kg monthly couriered coffee bean order.
    Roads are one thing but then it has to be able to open a gate, go up some stairs, under a veranda and open a wooden box to deposit order.

Some sort of standardised, easily accessible, secure, largish parcel box?
    Imagine the space requirement even for a block of say 24 flats?

Autonomous drones are being proposed/used? - probably still some way off beating the $4 coffee delivery charge, or carrying even one bag of cement.
    Here is a cat out of the bag. Autonomous vehicles with side lockers.

A Certain Company's phones know where you are at all times. Right to the metre. Always. It's reported as a continuous stream of intel. A Certain Company also has autonomous vehicles.

Ones coffee beans aren't delivered to your door. It's delivered to you. Your phone beeps and says "package for you is waiting 10 metres away. Go get it. Locker 5, opening code is 12345". It knows you are there. It knows you are at the shops. It knows when you are at work. The phone can say "delivery in 37 mins. Is this OK?". Press yes and its there. It may be initially addressed to a place, but it will find you.

Won't help Nana with her bags of cement, but will solve 100 problems:

-- Builders send apprentice out for bags of nails and a left handed hammer. Solved. Apprentice now stays on site.
    -- Need a DVR sent from the local Dick Smiths? No courier needed. Autonomous Vehincle booked and parcels are put in lockers and distributed.
    -- I order 4 clamps. They are sent straight from Masters Airport to me that afternoon. Or at 9pm while I'm home.
    -- Masters own their own "locker boxes". They fill them during the day and the mini auto truck simply collects them at night like a mini skip.

The locker "cars" can change compartments by swapping them on and off like mini shipping crates in its own secure depot guarded by a snarly dog.

Doesn't need to work for Nan, but works for 70% of people.....

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

What a brilliant way for terrorists to play havoc among the citizens of a country, or some mischief making.
    I do see it as something in the future but a lot of what ifs, and ors and buts to be sorted first. The supermarkets and their warehousing operations and major suppliers would be the first cabs off the rank, spare parts for car dealers, definitely has potential but for the average citizen, too many variables.
    The unions would have an epileptic fit.
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    My next challenge is getting companies to believe that my mobile phone number is not my 'best' or even 'preferred' contact number... they don't seem to understand that a mobile phone is for my convenience only, and that I can happily go for six months or more without turning it on, and that I'm just as likely to get a new SIM card/phone number as I am to recharge my existing number - I provide landline numbers for a reason!
    And I thought I was the only one who did this.
    CHRIS

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    And I thought I was the only one who did this.
    Me too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123