Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default what types of paint is this?

Hi all, I'm doing a LOT of kids toys recently. Getting a first class finish is next to impossible. Ive tried everything... different paints, techniques, oils, waters, 3 fine coats, heat lamps, staining... I can't get anywhere near it.

Attached are two pictures of a typical painted kids toy you'll find in all the classless big chain kids toy departments - what do you think its painted with?

When I look at it closely, its flawless and without any apparent suspension points for drying.

On top of that, the finish is dead smooth.

(I'm bewildered how they can make this for $29.95! The initial input costs in the Slave Countries must be almost zero.)

61i6ieP5pML._SL1168_ (1).jpg 61i6ieP5pML._SL1168_.jpg

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

my first thought is what timber do they use -- it looks pretty close grained -- perhaps European Birch?

then the initial surface preparation and paint type would flow from that

I'm guessing the finish is sprayed on with the blocks sitting on some sort of mesh conveyor -- perhaps a bit like the ones used in large volume toasters ...

regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

I think they use a high build fast curing epoxy based coating that's sprayed on. I have no experience of this other than trying to remove some of it, it's incredibly thick and hard, yet flexible enough so that it doesn't chip or craze.

As for application, mount the pieces on points and spray only the top. After it has cured flip them over and spray the sides and the new top.

Good luck with trying to replicate this finish; perhaps Jotun or International Paints can supply something? They would be the only industrial grade/commercial manufacturers I can think of.

I put my mits on a few blocks and put some through the bandsaw. Do some SCIENCE!

My impression is that there must be some sort of tumble drying technique. I also think they are made very fast. Perhaps they toss the whole lot into a big pressure cooker with half diluted paint... get them hot and pump it up to 10 atmospheres.

Some of the blocks look like they are: very thin paint but richly covered but at the same time "thin" on the surface, the paint seems to have seeped in some way (a few mm) and others is luscious and thick, but unlike anything I've ever seen before.

I'm pretty sure its all rubberwood though. Its all the craze to be "green eco reuse".

I'd have no reason to think it wasn't simply a 2k enamel finish, applied by spray. Well applied, it'll be smooth and even, and the hi-build formulations can also do the grain filling.

If you're after a similar finish, some 2k and a $200 spray gun and several hours of practice will get you there.

I remember seeing a program on IKEA manufacturing processes, a lot of their painting was done on conveyer lines and using UV cured paints.

There are all sorts of very funky paint systems for high volume manufacture ..... if ya think you can get ya hands on or replicate these .. you are dreaming.

I once spoke with a bloke who was making high end shelf and wall units in Australia ..... he worked in exclusivly MDF.

He was very particular about the brand and grade of MDF he was using and his product went straight from machining onto the the automoated paint line with no additional preparation.

all his product worked arround flat pieces of board ..... the boards went in one end of the machine on a conveyor and came out the other end finished on all surfaces dry and hard ..... and the system was water bassed.

This you will not replicate.

People still think of third world manufacture as being low tech ..... in many cases nothing could be further from the truth.

Remember elsewhere in the world, there are timbers that here would be uncommon and hard to get ...... there they are cheap and plentifull ...... timbers that machine very well and come off the tools very clean ......

If you are trying to do what they do or compete with what they offer ..... you simply can't.

other things that my seem unusual here might be worth persuing ..... like brush or flap sanding.

If you look at many of the toys and other small items ..... they look clean and well formed ..... but they do not have any sharp corners .... but they are not rounded or beaten up either ...... this may indicate brush or flap sanding.

As for the paint ...... oh so often it is not the product that is critical it is the method.

In the past thinners bassed nitro laquer ( in clear and colours) was used on many small articles ....... used well it can be made to dry almost instantly...... when the article is turned and recoated the following coat bleneds into the previous and self levels requireing no further treatment ...... a bit of heat, a bit of airflow ... dry and hard in less than a minute.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.