Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default My latest guitar

Hi all, Just wanted to share my latest guitar with you. I love this guitar. You might have noticed where I have been making a few hornbeam fretboards, I've sold 3 of those on ebay. I used one for this build and I love it. The timber is very hard, the grain is perfect, lovely to work with, takes a lot of sanding though.

The body is from queensland maple and the neck is rosewood. Fret markers in the fretboard are rosewood from the same timber as the neck.

The bridge is a through body bridge and you might notice the piece of brass I made on the back, for the strings to sit in to.

The intonation is also perfect, just totally happy with the outcome of this, a joy to play also.

I have one question for you. I've started on my next guitar and ordered some frets on ebay. But when they arrived the crown extends beyond the end of the fret that sits into the slot. How are these type supposed to be installed. My fretboard naturally has fret slots in it, that extend from side to side. If I was to use these frets you would notice a .6mm gap under the crown at the edge of the fretboard. The crown probably extends 4 or 5mm beyond the part of the fret that sits into the slot.

Any clues,..

Hope you enjoy my guitar,

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I think the frets you have are made for a fretboard with a binding down each side. So you cut the slots, then fit the binding, then fit the frets.
    Pugwash.

Never criticise Australia Post. One day they might find out where you live.
    www.clivequinn.com

Thanks pugwash, actually I was thinking a bit more about it. I looked at my old Fender Strat Squier which I never bother to get out of its bag anymore these days. And the frets on it, you could only see the tops of them. (no binding). And if you look closely there is a "fill" on the edge of the fretboard where I am talking about. It appears to me that Fender who made this guitar added/poked in some sort of a fill most likely when the fret was installed and glued in. Then of course its been sanded and you can hardly notice it. On this Fender the fretboard is rosewood, but the "fill" is much darker.

I'd never noticed it before until now.

I've got to mix up a bit of 2 part epoxy resin later on today, to install a hinge on a box. While I have it mixed up I will add a bit of very fine sawdust from the neck I am working on, put it in a slot on some offcut and see what happens.

Paul

Here's a video from Fletcher Guitars showing the process you're talking about. I haven't tried it yet but it's an interesting idea.
    He starts talking about it around the 3 minute mark.

Hi Blackstar, Wow, excellent video, thank you. I had a feeling that was the case after I looked at my Fender. Now I know how they do it. And why the frets I got have the tang removed near the both ends. On that video it certainly makes a neat looking finish.

I wish I had all the tools and equipment that bloke in the video has.

Thanks again, I'll certainly be trying this out on my next guitar when I get to that stage,

Paul

Melbourne Outer East right next to mount dande

nice looking guitar - well done

on the tang cut back - that is used for when the neck has binding - not seen that done on an unbound neck before
    ray c
    dunno what's more fun, buyin' the tools or usin' em'

Thanks Old Picker. I am going to try that technique (on the video) on the next guitar I am working on now. I'll have to take a couple of close up pics down the track. It does look very neat though.

Paul

I've never used precut fret lengths, always use long pieces that I cut to length. For fretboard with binding, you then need a modified nibler and or files.