Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by planemaker View Post
    Being a Canadian based company, its a bit of a shame LV/Veritas are not priced in their own currency. The Aussie $ is okay at 0.94 to the Canadian $ ; but only worth 0.70 to the US $.

Stewie;
    just one example
    Veritas Low Angle jack USD $245, CAD $279

Lee Valley make >80% of their sales to US customers, and in the past Rob Lee has commented on how expensive the Canadian Postal service is compared to the US Postal Service and UPS. So there is little wonder that Lee Valley do their mail order sales in the US, and their retail sales in Canada.
    regards from Alberta, Canada

ian

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by derekcohen View Post
    There are those that have forgotten or forgiven the political background. Others still struggle to reconsile the cost of these tools with the knowledge that this comes as a result of lower working standards. These factors are re-ignited every time the name is mentioned.
    Thanks Derek I didn't know that. DW makes a good point about the price increase though. I was surprised to see the latest prices for those planes. I sure they would be maybe 30% higher than when I first saw thema few years back.

TT
    Learning to make big bits of wood smaller......

Originally Posted by derekcohen
    The thing about these Veritas planes is that the set screws really work! Sorry Luke. What they do is make it a doddle to remove a blade for sharpening, and then return it to the exact position it was in before.

I've not had that experience with the set screws. I never once was able to get the blade back to the exact place. There is always at least some amount of lateral adjustment needed. I've never really found it to be all that important anyway.
    Hi Luke

This is especially important with all blades with square ends, or blades that are positioned to the edge of a plane, and not simply bench planes ... such as rebate planes and shoulder planes. Set screws enable the blades to be positioned once, and then returned to this same position again after sharpening.

Regards from Perth

Derej
    Visit www.inthewoodshop.com for tutorials on constructing handtools, handtool reviews, and my trials and tribulations with furniture builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanis View Post
    Sorry a bit off topic. Ian - I have a 110 as well, found (long story) and the blades is severely pitted but otherwise in excellent condition. Where can I buy a decent blade? I have been looking everywhere....
    Hi John - I don't know where you can get the plain blades for the old 110 style, no-one seems to make them any more, but surely there must be a few kicking around. I'm actually still using the original blade in mine, though it's getting down near the end. I've got an un-slotted 1 5/8" blade from an adjustable model in reserve for when my old one finally gets past the point of no return. This blade is not slotted, but has recesses for the adjuster milled in the underside of the blade. These are out of the way of the blade support post, so it will work ok. Can't remember where I got it from, it was quite a few ears back, possibly Lee Valley, but I just checked their website and they don't offer them now, only slotted blades, which won't work in a 110.

You could try Jim Davey, if you haven't already, or 'The Tool Exchange', to see if they have any old blades in useable condition. Or someone else reading this thread might know of a source...

Cheers,
    IW

Quote Originally Posted by derekcohen View Post

Hi Luke

This is especially important with all blades with square ends, or blades that are positioned to the edge of a plane, and not simply bench planes ... such as rebate planes and shoulder planes. Set screws enable the blades to be positioned once, and then returned to this same position again after sharpening.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Ah, ok. I was only referring to bench and block planes. In the shoulder planes and rabbet planes they are fantastic. You're absolutely right about that. I stand by Veritas joinery planes 100%. I really feel like this is one realm where adding bells and whistles really makes a difference.

Regarding the Stanley 110 blade... Ron Hock mentions on his website that he is willing to consider custom orders. Given how common the 110 plane is, I wouldn't be surprised if he had been asked for one before. Honestly, I'm surprised he doesn't make one already.

Cheers,
    Luke

You did look here for what you need, right?

http://hocktools.com/products/bl.html

I don't know what you have for a heat source, but that's a blade I would make without hesitation. If you're using small torches, it would take two to get enough heat to treat it, though.

For practical purposes, I think you should just hunt another entire stanley 110.

If you want to make an iron, just find out from someone what the stock thickness was, decide if you want something a little thicker, and then buy a blank of 01 from a knife supply shop in the width you want to use (or if you have a hacksaw with a good bimetal blade, cut something to width).

I've made blades, including for a stanley 4, entirely by hand (with the exception of using a drill press to get room for the hacksaw blade to cut the slot). It's a pain on a slotted blade, but on one that's not slotted, no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted Tenon View Post
    Thanks Derek I didn't know that. DW makes a good point about the price increase though. I was surprised to see the latest prices for those planes. I sure they would be maybe 30% higher than when I first saw thema few years back.

TT
    In the states here, they're retailed by Woodcraft. So is Pfeil and several other things, which generally correlates to there being high prices and rare deals on anything. If they can get more in the future for those planes by pushing for reviews on them, they'll do it.

Ditto on Cosman, who sells stuff like the "trend" diamond plate, which to my knowledge is made in china and "inspected" in england, and then sold at a price higher than anything else.

Many presenters and instructors have a captive tool buying audience and signature goods, though, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanis View Post
    Sorry a bit off topic. Ian - I have a 110 as well, found (long story) and the blades is severely pitted but otherwise in excellent condition. Where can I buy a decent blade? I have been looking everywhere.

John

I will have a look on the weekend John.

Stewie;

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Maddux View Post
    You did look here for what you need, right?

http://hocktools.com/products/bl.html

Yes. Nothing quite fits. I may email him...

John

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123