Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Which 3 hp dust extractor?

I really need assistance with deciding which 3 hp dusty to purchase. I have a sparky ready to wire the new workshop within the fortnight and a concreter ready to lay the base for the external housing (not sure what footprint I need) but I don't know what to get!!!!

Workshop is now built and is approx 4.7m x 3.7m. This thread has a drawing of shed layout - post #16 https://www.woodworkforums.com/showth...=194389&page=2

I have read the threads and the fantastic advice on the forum so have decided on a 3hp sitting outside and will install 6" ducting. Most likely only one machine going at a time. Already have BS, lathe, router. Looking at getting thicknesser/planer, drill press, (S)CMS, maybe belt/disk sander.

Main questions I have are:

1. I noticed that just about all the DCs come with 3X4" inlets. How hard will that be to modify to 1x6" and is it only some where this can be performed?

2. Are pleated filters still advisable if the unit is to be housed outside?

3. For units that come with a remote control, will that control work through a steel framed, metal sheeted, plywood lined shed wall?

4. Does the DC need to plug into an external 15amp GPO or should it come through the wall with the switch inside? Is the latter better for using a remote control?

Every time I locate a specific make of 3 hp of DC I google the make with "woodwork forum" and there seems to be limitations with each one.

Help. Please. (Hubby has said "Just go and buy one. You've been researching them all year. How hard is it?")

Jane

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by lovetoride View Post
    I really need assistance with deciding which 3 hp dusty to purchase. I have a sparky ready to wire the new workshop within the fortnight and a concreter ready to lay the base for the external housing (not sure what footprint I need) but I don't know what to get!!!!
    I wouldn't let purchasing a DC hold you up - just make sure you get a 15A power point installed inside the shed near where the DC will be located and you will be OK.

1. I noticed that just about all the DCs come with 3X4" inlets. How hard will that be to modify to 1x6" and is it only some where this can be performed?
    For 3HP and above it's usually a matter of just removing the 4" inlets/
    Underneath the 4" inlets there is usually a 6 or 8" inlet.

2. Are pleated filters still advisable if the unit is to be housed outside?
    Pleated filters do improve air flow so if you can afford them I would get them but they are not essential

3. For units that come with a remote control, will that control work through a steel framed, metal sheeted, plywood lined shed wall?
    Sorry can't help with this one

Does the DC need to plug into an external 15amp GPO or should it come through the wall with the switch inside? Is the latter better for using a remote control?
    MOST DCs have a electromagnetic switch that must be reset when they are turned off.
    This switch is also the on switch and can be moved inside the shed or by passed.

Every time I locate a specific make of 3 hp of DC I google the make with "woodwork forum" and there seems to be limitations with each one.
    yes they all have limitations.

Thanks Bob, I do appreciate the feedback.

I suppose my problem is that I am so hesitate to decide on a specific machine if the inlet cannot be converted or is too difficult for me to do. The same goes for the power and whether the switch can be moved inside or not. I won't know these things until I can see that others have managed it for their specific units.

Having just got off the phone to Carbatec to enquire about their CT 3HP and Powermatic , I am now finding this extremely overwhelming at the moment and think I will put it back in the too hard basket unfortunately. I probably need much more forum reading which may assist (or may just confuse me more).

I did see this 2hp one however with Timbecon that already has an 6" inlet https://www.timbecon.com.au/extracti...dust-extractor for $597. They also a 3hp for $899 one but that has an 8" inlet. Although the price looks good price is not a heavily weighted factor in this exercise for me. I would prefer to get something that will do the job well and is able to be installed where I want and to be turned on from inside the workshop.

I think I may just head on out the back now on my day off work and get started on painting my workshop walls do I can get the sparky in. Unlike many other folk I love painting and find it very therapeutic...

4. Does the DC need to plug into an external 15amp GPO or should it come through the wall with the switch inside? Is the latter better for using a remote control?
    I have my shop vac parked outside. It has the power cord coming through the window to a remotely controlled (RF) GPO. My cyclone is also on a remote GPO. I control them both with the remote which is on a lanyard around my neck with the remote dropped into my shirt pocket. Works a treat, so you might like to consider that approach.

I did see this 2hp one however with Timbecon that already has an 6" inlet https://www.timbecon.com.au/extracti...dust-extractor for $597. They also a 3hp for $899 one but that has an 8" inlet. Although the price looks good price is not a heavily weighted factor in this exercise for me. I would prefer to get something that will do the job well and is able to be installed where I want and to be turned on from inside the workshop.
    If you can afford it then getting a 3HO over a 2HP is well worth it. Even 3HP DCs are borderline for dust control but should be OK for the size of shed you are considering.

DCs with the thicker needle felt filters will be more efficient at collecting fine dust that those with the thinner felt bags. I'm not sure what the latest Carbatec DCs use but the H&F DC felt filters are relatively inefficient.
    DCs that have the motor and impeller integral with the bag housing can move more air than those with a hose or metal duct between the impeller and the bag housing.
    8" to 6" conversion can be done with a plastic plant pot

The ducting to DC connection can be quite simple, in this thread https://www.woodworkforums.com/f200/dust-extraction-upgrade-roy-schacks-workshop-172717 post#10 the first pic shows the flange off the DC (the black piece) which was a tight fit inside the 8" pipe so I fitted the two together by simply tapping with a hammer the flange into the pipe, this was tight enough not require any sort of fixing (screws/rivets).

The DC in question is a 3hp Powermatic, in the background you can see the left side (bag and filter housing) and the center section which houses the fan/motor, note the big hole, the black flange simply unscrews off this housing, once I had the flange fitted to the pipe I just re-bolted the flange with pipe back onto the DC, also of note, there was a small rolled curve on the top edge of the flange so I flattened this as it would have interfered with airflow.

The DC you buy may or may not be as a simple fix as this but whatever is required to get pipe onto the DC you buy will be doable so I wouldn't let not knowing how to connect pipe to DC put a hold on buying DC.

A way forward might be to ask the supplier of the one you like to see if they can measure the outside of the inlet which you can then compare with the actual measured size of the pipe, all it might take is a bit of hot air/oil to shrink/expand the pipe to make it fit.
    If you get clever you could form a nice flange on the end of the pipe which could then bolt onto the DC housing.

Pete

OK, I've narrowed it down to one of these two:

Woodfast DC5000 for $820 with $180-$200 shipping http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php?p=1_26
    Timbecon Sherwood DC-2900 for $999 with $150 shipping https://www.timbecon.com.au/extracti...dust-extractor

I contact both suppliers and they appear to be very much the same machine. Both impellers are 330mm. Inlets 8". The Sherwood can be changed so that the inlet is on top which suits my setup. The only difference that is obvious to me is the dimensions. Woodfast is 2500x730x1420 and the Sherwood is 2600x710x1570.

Woodfast said that pleated filters cannot be fitted to their DE. Timbecon said they can to theirs but considering it is outside the workshop then they won't be necessary.

The power switch on both can be relocated to inside the workshop but Timbecon suggested to get this http://www.timbecon.com.au/routing/r...old-separately instead or relocating the power switch but I don't see how this can get around the no volt swtich issue.

Does anyone have any extra info or advice on these? I have spoken to JohnRedl who is happy with his Woodfast.

With a little bit of help from a fellow forum member, and my friendly leccy, I managed to setup a remote that will drive 15a dusty.

Rather than bypass the NVR switch, I chose to remove it from the machine and mount it on a wall as an EPO switch (of course, it retains its no voltage function).

PM me if you want a circuit diagram.
    Glenn Visca