crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Default Spray adhesive question please!

Spray adhesive question please!

I need to apply a wheel plan template to a number of blanks in order to cut slots in the timber with the end result 2 halves of a lugged wheel for the next toy project.

I have photocopied 8 templates from the plans and now have to stick them onto the timber blanks.

What "Spray Adhesive" do you use please..
    Is it a permanent fixing, which means I'll need to sand the paper template off later..
    OR is the adhesive something which will allow me to remove the paper template easily after the slots are cut???

Thank you in advanced for all the advice and assistance, very much appreciated.. ..
    Cheers, crowie

PS - Sorry for what may seem a very simple question but it's something I've never had to do before, always avoiding such operations.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

i just finished replacing some sandpaper that i had adhered to a sheet of MDF with this stuff
    http://www.bunnings.com.au/sikabond-...sive-_p1661818
    I removed the old sandpaper by heating the surface enough to melt the glue using a hot iron. it did leave a sticky residue though which doesnt matter because i need to spray some more down to apply new sandpaper.

Hi Crowie
    Im not sure if this will help but when doing repetitive pieces instead of gluing a paper template down each time I glue it to a thin piece of MDF and cut the shape out to make a stencil. It may not apply to what you're doing but I've also stuck paper down on tin and cut the shape out with tin snips or small shears. Other than that, for a one off or a few things I just glue it down with thinned PVA, just be careful to let the air escape when getting it flat. I've also used 3M Super 77 spray adhesive to adhere sandpaper to dowels for sanding things like barley twists for instance but haven't needed to get the sandpaper off again but believe citrus type cleaners would do, although you'd probably have to soak it off.

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/o...-400g-miagm400
    I've used this type of stuff before Crowie. Works great for paper to wood. You do have to sand off later but it doesn't take much effort.
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

For temp fixing of patterns I use THIS from Bunnings. Spray onto the paper pattern only, let it get a bit tacky and roll down. Then wrap the lot in packing tape. If I want a slightly more 'permanent' mount, I spray both sides. Instructions are on the can. Works fine for me.
    Chris
    ========================================

Life isn't always fair

....................but it's better than the alternative.

Crowie,

I use that technique when cutting the spokes on my locos. All I use is a very thin coat of aquadhere on the timber (use my finger so no bubbles form) and attach my paper template to the timber. Dries really quickly and cheap.

Keith

Crowie,
    I use Selleys Quick Grip Spay Adhesive (Bunnings and probably Masters). A light spray on the back of the paper template and straight onto the wood. I can usually peel the used template of when finished, otherwise dampen with Turps and Bob's your uncle.
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    Crowie,

I use that technique when cutting the spokes on my locos. All I use is a very thin coat of aquadhere on the timber (use my finger so no bubbles form) and attach my paper template to the timber. Dries really quickly and cheap.

Keith
    Crowie

Post #73 and #79 of my 4-6-2 Tank Loco Thread

Regards

Keith

For something that is easily removed in the past I have used masking tape onto the wood then apply the template with spray adhesive to the tape.

Default Print directly on the wood

You can print the pattern on the wood itself, from the photocopies (or laser print).

Attach the photocopy or laser print face down to the wood. Use staples outside the printed area. Take a clothes iron set at highest heat (usually "Linen"). Press over the paper to transfer the toner to the wood. Remove the paper and proceed with the work. Sand to remove any remnant toner.

If necessary, some photocopiers (and any CAD program) can make mirror images.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

A HUGE THANK YOU to one and all for the helpful advice.....very much appreciated..Cheers, crowie

Recently with purchased plans, I have been printing them out on self adhesive. It is a paper one, so I stick it on the wood, cut and then wipe some turps over it. The turps soaks through the paper and loosens the adhesive, allowing it to peel straight off.
    There can be a bit of adhesive left on the timber, but I wipe this away with the rag with a bit of turps.
    The added bonus is that when scroll sawing the timber, the adhesive works as a lubricant on the blade. The same way using packaging tape does.

Can't remember what brand it is, but you should be able to get it from officeworks or similar in A4 sheets.

Can probably use something more appropriate than turps, but this is what I had in the shed, tried it and it worked.

Cheers
    Rod T

G'day All, No doubt some of you have tried this but if not give it ago as there are many uses I've found for it. https://youtu.be/qSfj6eiNzew

I found the liquitex Gel Medium and Mat Spray at Office Works, and the good ole Crystal Clear Acrylic at Bunnings. I've found it a great way of putting plans onto wood, beats that sticky paper that at times refuses to stay where you want it. And to remove the image as long as you haven't been too heavy handed with the clear acrylic is easy with a light sanding. With extra clear acrylic is a good way to put small images you want to remain on your project. As shown in the video if you are using text make sure you mirror image it first before printing, I've forgotten that many times now I've lost count, just appears to be one of those things that I tend to forget.
    Hope its of help.
    Hooroo
    KJL1951 aka Kev.