Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default 3D Printing experience.

Wasn't really sure where to post this so it went here.

I'm planning to cast a steady for my lathe and I drew it up in solidworks, and was going to then use the drawings to make a wooden pattern. My friend came by to visit and was talking about there now being 3D printers for use in public libraries. Which sparked the idea that I can save out my solidworks model as a .STL file and try 3D printing my pattern.

Like many things I have no experience with 3D Printers and was hoping there would be some guidance available on the forum as I'm sure I have seen mention of forumites using them in the past.

I see there are different filaments available, is there much difference in them? Are some finer than others, or more rugged it terms of printed product?

Most libraries change an small nominal fee per hr, for use of the printer. How slow are these machines, do brand vary much?

Will a pattern that is 3D printed be robust enough to with stand sand casting?

Any other useful experience or info that will keep me away from traps for the unwary welcomed.
    …..Live a Quiet Life & Work with your Hands

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

This is what the two parts look like that form the split pattern

If you have an STL file, I can load it in my 3d printer software and give you some idea of how long it will take to print.
    One of the factors that affects 3D printing speed is the level of 'fill' you apply to the solid part of the model. This is how solid the model is printed and varies by percentage e.g. a 50% is a very solid piece but will take much longer to print than say a 10% fill. I assume you're going to use investment casting so a low fill level will do - you're not expecting the part to last long , especially once it gets molten metal poured on it!

For this application, it won't much matter whether you print in PLA or ABS, it won't affect the speed.

Last smallish piece I printerdtook about 15 minutes. THis was a small test cube about 20mm a side. Longest print time I've run is over 5 hours printing a part for a 3d printer.

EDIT: Another option beside a library might be to contact your local hackerspace. They're certain to have a 3d printer or two along with lots of expertise in using it. While 3d printer software is not that difficult to drive, it can be a pain to sort out issues with your model so it will actually print.

Geoff,

It is quite a large item in terms of what I have seen 3D printed by hobbyists. If you PM me your email address I'll send you the STL file and appreciate any advice with the models suitability.

It isn't going to be investment cast but good old fashioned hand rammed green sand.

I have seen Dremel 3D printers at Bunnings. On one occasion a rep was there do a demo. That would be the time to ask.
    My guess is your part might be bigger than this printer so you would need to find a bigger printer.

There's quite a few Melbourne company's
    Now doing 3D printing
    If that helps

And you properly new that
    I'm blonde sorry lol