Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I wonder if working with wood is my calling?

Hello Everyone,

For last week or so, I have been going through videos on YouTube, watching how to make knives, and smithing... then it dawned upon me that I would need to spend so much money to do anything useful... in a reasonable amount of time. I ended up watching a few carpentry/furniture making videos a few days ago, and thought that this would be more suited to me.

I had no tools whatsoever (except for a couple of screwdrivers and a reciprocating saw), so I went to Bunnings and Masters, and ended up buying (from Masters):

- a tool box,
    - wesco 18v Li-ion 4 in 1 kit (Charger, 2 batteries, carry bag, drill, jig saw, circular saw, angle grinder),
    - 120 pc Hitachi drill bit kit
    - hammer,
    - 3 metre measuring tape
    - three (bevelled) chisel set
    - sliding (right angle) rule with scale
    - blunt nose pliers
    - long nosed pliers
    - 8 piece file set (2 x handles, 6 x files)
    - universal grinder disc (cuts a multiple array of materials)

I think that was it... May update if I remember to check up on the box.

I came across some nice tutorials, and thought to begin with a patio double chair bench with table, as shown on another diy site.

The issue is, I need to know the best, and most economical timber suppliers in Melbourne's SE region to begin my woodworking ways. I will search for any such threads first. If I can't find one, I plan to create a new thread specifically asking this, so no need to answer here... I guess I spilled the beans here, more as a quasi introduction, as much as a reminder to myself as to why I have started woodworking. I am forgetful unfortunately

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Welcome, lots of friendly helpful woodworkers here with a wealth of knowledge, humor and ideas.
    You will also need a combination square, plane and an oil stone to sharpen the chisels and plane BEFORE using them. They are only ground to an angle, not sharpened. Also a few clamps.

I would also suggest that if you don't have an old table as a temporary bench that you build a basic work bench first.
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

Cheers
    Ray

rwbuild, thank you so much for your great insight to what else I will be needing

- combination square
    - plane (I was actually planning on purchasing one or two with my next pay-cheque)
    - oil stone
    - workbench (a tradie friend offered to help me build one... looking forward to that)

Until I get my workbench built, I will have to use the home made guest table... hopefully not for long

Welcome to the forum.
    What a project to start with. Unlike some TV shows, it is not something that can be put together in an hour. Good work takes time but produces satisfying results. Obtain tools as you need them.
    Work bench surface should be sacrificial. I do all my cutting on an old door that was being thrown out. I have done so much cutting I have put a thin MDF board on top to cut into.
    Materials - I buy a lot from Bunnings. More specialty timbers from A Lewis & Co in Jasper Road, Ormond.

Welcome, be it furnishings or carvings, you need the bench first. Otherwise you get to gently, gently use some other table (wobbly for woodwork?) or grovel on the floor.
    Promise yourself that you won't fall in love with what you build. Mistakes happen. Failures happen. Breathe in, breathe out, move on.

Haha Handyjack and Robson Valley Thanks for the welcome guys.

I can see how my op could have seemed like I may have been expecting instant results with the woodworking as opposed to how fast I may end up with something through smithing.

I anticipate that the patio double bench and table is going to probably take me at least two weekends to complete. If not longer.

This to me seems to be more satisfying than working on, let's say a blade in smithing, as pounding away at metal is both physically laborious and would take a while to appease the eyes... Whereas joining, cutting, piecing timber is more "instantaneous" and gratifying. Yes, sanding with fine grits can be just as tedious and patience testing... however, by the time one would get to that stage, I don't anticipating it becoming a chore, and the bulk of the work should have been finished... I think this is inversely proportionate to smithing.

My understanding is that smithing equates to bring laborious at first, gratifying towards/at the end. Woodwork is gratifying to begin with, laborious/tedious in between beginning and end, gratifying at the end as well.

This is one of the main reasons (the other being I don't know if I could justify the amount of money spent on setting up a smith) that I decided to try my hand at woodworking at first.

Welcome to the forum.

isa: you will be OK. Just bounce off the walls after the bench and decide where you want to go.

Native copper metal has been available since Man first stepped into North America. I've bashed out some copper blades, Chalcolithic, and they are
    really fun to use in the kitchen. Woodwork, not a chance. There was lots of nephrite jade for hard tool edges here as well.

I'm quite concerned that I might get interested in flint knapping. I hope not. Far too much else in the fire.

Wow Robson Valley! That truly is amazing stuff! Just watched the first few beginners flint knapping videos on YouTube, and was blown away. People still make stuff this way! Just wow!

I think that to do this seriously enough though, I'd have to get really sick and tired of carpentry first. And then I'd have to get sick and tired of smithing. I think if anything, I'd give this sort of stuff a go in between projects. Who knows, if I get the hang of it, I may even go Paleo in tool making as well as my Paleo (ketogenic) diet

Get into the wood and stay there. Your inspirations will tell you when it's time to fool with something else for diversion.
    Those YouTube videos are unrealistic = you're looking at people with decades and decades of experienced practice.
    Fast track? Do a beginner's course or two. Visit a club. Flint knapping is risky as even the spalled off flakes are as sharp as broken glass.

Same with the stunning art and carving done by Pacific Northwest native artists. They apprenticed as kids.
    We get to see what a lifetime can produce.
    Aside from some aimless whittling with a dull pocket knife, I didn't start carving until I was about 50 or so.
    Pick any 10 of my carving starts:
    3 die,
    3 become the living dead,
    3 finish up OK,
    1 is really what I had in mind.

Welcome to the Forum,

A tremendous group of people.

If unsure whether woodworking is what you want to do - combine your skills and work on a project that combines different types of materials - timber, aluminium, items from recyclers etc. I think you will find whatever you do rewarding.

All the best

Keith

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

G'Day & Welcome to a top forum "isa".
    There are a stack of members in and around Melbourne as well as across the rest of the world..
    You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist as you are seeing.
    Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [work in progress] photos with build notes.
    Enjoy the forum.
    Enjoy your woodwork.
    Cheers, crowie

may i suggest you ask your timber supplier question in the general and or timber subsection of the forum as your gain a wider viewing and thus more answers & assistance........

Thank you one and all for your warm welcoming posts. It truly is appreciated. Makes me thankful that I had found this forum!

Robson Valley, yeah, I intend to stick with wood for a whiles longer... I've invested too much financially from the family's coffer to turn back now... or to tread a different path. I don't expect to be a Michael Angelo and excel in the field, but I do feel the confidence... I believe due to my previous experience with woodworking, that will allow me to create pleasing and satisfying results of workmanship, where ventured.

G'day right backatcha "crowie"

I have always intended to do a shoot of either the finished product, or shots from the WIPs. I have a feeling that I will initially be posting up pics of WIPs, asking where I went wrong, and how to fix it

I've found an old oil drum in the back yard (my metal garbage can vaporised finally) is good for dud projects to go into.... a monthly match incinerates past sins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast