Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Bolt thread scanner/reader indentification

There ought to be a market for this type of scanner/reader so we don't have to fiddle with those fiddly little gauges.
    Does any one know of such a device ? Hope so !!!!!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Logman View Post
    There ought to be a market for this type of scanner/reader so we don't have to fiddle with those fiddly little gauges.
    Does any one know of such a device ? Hope so !!!!!
    There are various industrial grade machines that are used for quality control on thread manufacture - but they only confirm that a newly manufactured (cut or rolled) thread conforms to the required specs. If you're interested in more information about how it's done on an industrial scale, have at look at http://www.orlin.co.uk/appsthread.htm.

I'd reckon if you're trying to identify the unknown thread on something, then thread gauges are probably still the best option- unless you've got a shed load of money and space.

RoyG
    Manufacturer of the Finest Quality Off-Cuts.

Screw pitch gauge $20, Brass vernier caliper, $15.

John

Having worked on a ridiculously large amount of English, American, European and Japanese machinery I can tell about 90% of Metric, BSC/BSF and Unified fasteners by eye but I still keep a set of gauges handy. One way which may help you is to keep a set of nuts & bolts mounted on a plate and marked with their sizes like they have in places like Repco. Then you just need to learn how to feel the difference between Whitworth and Unified threads in those sizes which have have the same thread pitch.

An easy one though is to know where the machine or whatever it is you are working on was made, ie anything American will be Unified, Japanese & European will be Metric, English will be Whit or Metric depending on age and anything Australian will be whatever was kicking around the floor at the time of construction.

Suppose We will have to wait until technology catches up with the market.
    But thanks to all inputs.

Yep, can relate to that about Australian built stuff. I have a Wolseley 24/80, with motor designed and built here at Zetland. It has Whit, UNF, and UNC in various places and I am getting very adept with thread gauges and verniers

Quote Originally Posted by Paulyboy1960 View Post
    Yep, can relate to that about Australian built stuff. I have a Wolseley 24/80, with motor designed and built here at Zetland. It has Whit, UNF, and UNC in various places and I am getting very adept with thread gauges and verniers
    Yup, that's exactly what I mean. We bought a Compak diesel driven air compressor at work, the Lombardini diesel was built in Italy and has Metric fasteners. The compressor is Made In China and has Unified fasteners. The tank, mounts and guards etc are Australian made and whole lot is bolted together using Whitworth fasteners that are so special the bolt heads are a different AF size to the nuts. If I could go back in time and meet the man who invented the concept of "She'll be right" I'd cheerfully spend several years kicking seven shades of poop out of him.

No wonder I do not have enough spanners to fit correctly the nuts and bolts I deal with.

And if its made in Korea there is a good chance that the fasteners are of no known standard, just made with whatever machinery was around, like Whitworth thread angles at a metric pitch or some other b@stard conglomeration.