Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spoked Wheel Jigs

How many of you make your own spoked wheels and what type of jigs do you use to make them. I know there are a couple of wheel making bits in the Library, but it is the jigs that I am interested in. I have started to make a plate which has 24 holes in it, this is the start of mine a bit of make it up as I go along.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Sorry Derek, I haven't even bought a set of spoked wheels....cheers, Peter

I came up with a system that worked for me. https://www.woodworkforums.com/f174/m...wheels-155958/

Mike

The few i have used i bought.

Thank you guys like I said I have seen those in the Library on here. It is not so much as making the wheels but I just wondered what jigs people had.

I did start on the dividing plate a couple of days ago being made of metal I was held up in as much the g/grand son was here and metal with sharp edges and children don't mix.

This is the plate and the locating pin(which still needs a bit more work). I have no metal working equipment unless you count the bench grinder and pillar drill.

The plate is 4 1/8" diameter and 1/8" thick

DSCF5612.jpgDSCF5614.jpg

Looking good Derek,

Great work

Keith

I did not start this thread as a WIP but as a question but as I have already posted pictures of the dividing plate I have made I thought I would add some more progress pictures based on BigDBigD's jig from the Best of the best Library HERE.

I have only just got back on to this as I was sure I had some threaded rod so I spent 3 days cleaning and tidying the shed still did not find it so the wife went out and brought some new rod which cost £2.99 (6.39AUD). And also been spending time on the phone to my sister finding out how my dear old mum is(she is 94), as she was taken into hospital so not really been thinking much about woodwork

I have managed to cut out a base which is large enough to sit on the drill press table and be able to clamp it down for drilling and also the box parts. Then onto the dividing plate locking pin which I had show in the previous post. I have also fitted a spring to help keep it in the locked position. All of that needs to be glued up as well as glued in place on the base. I have clamped it up to test everything lines up and moves freely as it should. You will notice that I have stamped every other hole with a number to make life easy when working out the holes required
    Attached Images Attached Images

crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage

Thank you Derek for the WIP photos and notes...

BUT more importantly, I hope & pray your mum's hospital is short, returning home in good health quickly, cheers, Peter

Derek,

Totally concur with what Crowie said. Hope your mum gets well quickly.

Keith

Thank you Peter and Keith she has been released on good behaviour this afternoon to my eldest sister where she will stay for a few days before going back to her own house.

Your mum must be a tough little cookie still living independantly at home at 94. Good on her and hopefully it stays that way for a long time to come.
    Your jig is looking really good and I'm waiting for the next installment.
    Dallas

Thank you Dallas.

Anyway glued the box up and also glued it to the base will leave it overnight to really set before moving on to the next piece. The last pictures shows it on the drill press. Still more work to come

DSCF5646.jpgDSCF5645.jpgDSCF5647.jpgDSCF5649.jpgDSCF5650.jpg

Looking really good Derek. You are a true Engineer.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_1 View Post
    Looking really good Derek. You are a true Engineer.

Keith
    Not that good I had to ease hole number 3 and 4 with two light strokes with a round file so the pin went in under the spring tension without having to push it in. Not sure if it was just a very small burr that I had missed. The locating pin is complete except for a small wooden handle which I will turn. Then it is onto the main indexing plate shaft along with a movable front support.
    All this so I can make a set of wheels for a truck, but I am getting so much enjoyment from doing this and knowing that the wheels will be totally made in house and not brought. Also this means that along with this jig and my lathe's I can make wheels any size I want either spoked or not and to my design if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    Not that good I had to ease hole number 3 and 4 with two light strokes with a round file so the pin went in under the spring tension without having to push it in. Not sure if it was just a very small burr that I had missed. The locating pin is complete except for a small wooden handle which I will turn. Then it is onto the main indexing plate shaft along with a movable front support.
    All this so I can make a set of wheels for a truck, but I am getting so much enjoyment from doing this and knowing that the wheels will be totally made in house and not brought. Also this means that along with this jig and my lathe's I can make wheels any size I want either spoked or not and to my design if needed.
    That makes you an Engineer Derek

Keith

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast