Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Kreg R3 pocket hole jig

Looking at getting the R3 mainly for fixing some drawers that have come loose and the odd pocket joint. Has anyone bought the R3 and then found they needed to upgrade to the K4? Any other feedback on this jig would be useful.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I have the original, looks like an aluminium version of the K4, its great for 90% of what I do, but found a need for something a bit more versatile so I bought the Kreg Mini (single hole)
    I find a real need for both of them., but for your drawer repairs, the R3 or mini would be the go.
    ​Brad.

Thanks Brad for your feedback, when you say you need both of them what do you tend to use the K4 for?

I use the K4 for new work, mainly building cascasses, quick and easy and repeatable. I only use these joints for stuff you cant see.
    The mini is good if you only have a few holes to drill, its more fiddly, needs a separate clamp.
    ​Brad.

I have the older type jig that the R3 replaced and still use it regularly. I found a book in my local library all about pocket hole joinery, it included plans for making a base unit that allowed the jig to perform similar to the K4.

One thing I would recommend though is to use the proper Kreg fine threaded screws for hardwoods; those Sachy-Robertson square drive screws are only good for softwoods.

Thanks Chief, that is very helpful and I must admit I was wondering whether the R3 could be adapted to something like the K4, do you happen to have the title/author of that book you saw in the library? Thanks for the tip regarding the screws, I have a bit to learn about pocket hole joinery.