Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

It occurs to me that there are three or four possible reasons for the production of this piece:

1. A super dooper collection of fine woodworking tools for possible use (unlikely, I know)
    2. The ultimate collection of tools for a collector as opposed to a user. Think of it as shed furniture.
    3. An almost sculptural art form (perhaps the reason why there is no efficiency of space with the cabinet). In fact sculpture is more about space than form quite frequently
    4. The most superb advertising/promotional talking point you could possibly imagine and in this regard it is clearly working in that it has us talking already. This is another reason that the cabinet is "uncluttered" as it is important the items inside can be identified easily. I think it is fair to say that it just lifted their profile beyond the level of their bespoke competitors.

I expect there could be more possibilities for this collection. Please feel free to add more, but increasingly I am leaning towards No.4 and I doubt whether Messers Gordon and Clenton and Ms Everill will mind too much if somebody in the No.2 category decides they can't continue life without this collection.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Paul, of your alternatives, I reckon #3 is probably the closest. I reckon it's the result of two blokes having a bit of serious fun, & pulling out the stops just to see what they can do. Then came that OMG! moment when they realised they had to figure out what to do with them all. Of course, it won't do them any harm at all, if it generates lots of talk & interest....

Cheers,
    IW

Nice debate going on here
    I would love personally to hear from one of the three or all three makers
    Or do I have to wait for magazine???

Ian

Irrespective of their intentions when they started out, and you may be right, I still lean towards the promotional aspect being the final outcome or where there will be the most benefit for the three artisans.

I also have to say that when you are in business for yourself, and in particular a one man band, it is very difficult to both find or justify the time needed for what must be regarded as an indulgence.

When I worked for myself I had ideas for promotion and when it came down to it, I didn't have the time or the energy to scratch myself let alone contemplate a grandiose idea.

Whatever the intentions of the project I hope all three contributors derive some benefit. Whether we agree or disagree with the project, whether we like or dislike it has brought some smiles to our faces (well this one anyway) and shows Australian talent at it's best.

It would be most interesting to hear from the people themselves. We can hope.

Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

Good on him. I think its great

Lots of people have the poster of the Studley cabinet in their shed.
    One guy has the Studley cabinet.

True, but the appeal would be enhanced greatly if they had commissioned the pieces needed for a full-on working set. Something to showcase the toolmakers of Australia?
    I've been thinking about purchasing a full set of Terry's planes, given that $AU is down so much they are a fantastic bargain.
    Innovations are those useful things that, by dint of chance, manage to survive the stupidity and destructive tendencies inherent in human nature.

You guys are just not drinking enough red! I think that we should toast our toolmakers, Terry and Colen, who are a world class act. No matter which part of the woodworking globe you travel, they are revered.

This cabinet full of tools is a grand (or 59 grand! ) reminder of what they can do. Hopefully it will end up somewhere like a museum or art gallery, where many get to view the art of toolmaking.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Visit www.inthewoodshop.com for tutorials on constructing handtools, handtool reviews, and my trials and tribulations with furniture builds.

These are not art pieces. All these tools are items from their regular line up that you can buy individually at any time.
    I believe all these tools were made from a single piece of ebony. This piece of ebony was always destined for a matched set.
    I'll probably see Colen on the weekend so I'll try and get some insight.
    Those were the droids I was looking for.
    https://autoblastgates.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by derekcohen View Post
    You guys are just not drinking enough red! I think that we should toast our toolmakers, Terry and Colen, who are a world class act. No matter which part of the woodworking globe you travel, they are revered.

This cabinet full of tools is a grand (or 59 grand! ) reminder of what they can do. Hopefully it will end up somewhere like a museum or art gallery, where many get to view the art of toolmaking.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Yes, but think of the appeal of a 'Master Toolmakers of Australia" set...
    Innovations are those useful things that, by dint of chance, manage to survive the stupidity and destructive tendencies inherent in human nature.

They are beautiful indeed, and the makers should be proud. I own a single HNT Gordon plane and love it, and use it with care. And while I'd love to own such a set I will never be in a position to want to spend that much on tools. I also kind of like my haphazard way of building my tool collection. It does indeed tell a story about me as a woodworker.
    Bob C.

Never give up.

Fifty and 100 years from now I'm sure this will have an interesting story attached to it ... and people will be glad that it was created when it was, I predict.

I can imagine a few scenarios for it in 80 years time, reflecting the past of other items in history ... (pls add to this at will)

1. intact and residing in a public or private collection, detailed photos and dimensions available to all in publications
    2. tragically lost in a fire, possibly during of our devastating aussie bushfires
    3. bought by secretive, anonymous overseas buyer
    4. incomplete now after a break-in and theft of some of the set by underworld handtool appreciators
    5. lost in air accident while on loan to a foreign art display
    6. hit and sunk by iceberg
    7. subject of a decades-long legal dispute over ownership by the children of the best mates that created it
    8. ...

Only 1 out of 7 of your scenarios is positive. Dreary but likely to be realized.

I have three planes and a spokeshave. Hoping to have more pending funding.

I think it was made 'just because they can', a showcase of their collective skills.
    What better reason?

Anyway, in 100 years from now, $59 K will be seen as a real bargain. Your grandkids will be cursing you for not having the foresight to buy it and keep it in cotton wool for them.

Pete.

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbag View Post
    As for the cabinet.... what a waste of space. As a display cabinet it's pretty classy, but as a toolbox it fails by being so inefficiently packaged.
    Maybe Ratty, but I wouldn't be so hasty. O'course anyone who can afford it will also have the required real estate to house it properly - whether it be as users or tool art, so using all available space isn't really an issue. As Bushmiller says, sculpture is about space.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast